Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 5:45 pm

This is more of a venting post then an asking for advice post. But don't worry if you give me advice I will read it.

After a long time of unemployment I am starting a new part time position scanning documents. My brother in law found the position, this company is a long time client of his. The interview was a formality.

It is considered insulting if somebody especially a family member helps get you an employment opportunity, especially if you have been unemployed. not to accept it. I do need the money. There is no way I can not accept.

I am an Aspie, this is change and I am anxious.

It is a good "aspie" low stress job with routine. I am worried it is not challenging enough and too routine. When one has very poor executive function like I do it is easy to get bored and distracted.

But my main worry is getting there on time. I do not drive. I live in a car dependent area where the funding for the buses have been cut because most voters do not use them. I have to take two buses. The wait may be up to an 1/2 hour to transfer. After getting off the bus I have to walk 20 minutes. A lot of the walk is on street because there are no sidewalks in that area so this may not be so safe. One way could take anywhere between 1 hour and 45 minutes and over 2 hours. Except for the time on the bus I will be outside in the elements. When I was younger I was rarely late or absent. Be it long time unemployment lack of routine or Autistic burnout I have slipped in this area. I have set my alarm because I wanted to get up early and slept through it.

Like I said I took this position despite these worries due to who got the position for me. Another reason was hope that getting into some sort of routine would be helpful. Choosing part time is less of a change then going from nothing to full time. and allows me to pursue other options and attend support groups. I expect to hear from Vocational Rehab where I applied days before I learned of the position.

Thank you for listening

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 5:59 pm

Can you ride a bike.

And I do not think it is insulting for someone else to help you get your job.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 8:34 pm

nebrets wrote:
Can you ride a bike.

And I do not think it is insulting for someone else to help you get your job.

It's a 10 mile ride through mostly urban traffic. I have not used a bike in decades.

It is not "insulting" to me to take the job because my brother in law got it for me.. But it does make me feel more obligated to take the position then I would have if I had gotten the position on my own or even from a non family member. After my brother in law made the effort to get the position for me it would be rude of me to decline it. He would likely be insulted

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 11:00 pm

There may end up being co-workers who you can carpool with.