NT troubled with an ASPIE father in denial. Advice?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

gabx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2014, 9:43 pm

Hi all. I have been raised in a household of severe verbal fighting which lead to a lot of emotional problems I currently have as an adult. Being that I am studying to be in the field of developmental disabilities and neurology, I feel like a lot of things that I have experienced are caused due to the actions of my father. Me and my mother, and the rest of my family, knew for a very long time that something just "wasn't right". We've tried going to family therapy- which only lead to the therapist asking to see my father separately. He never wanted to go, he feels that there is nothing wrong with him, and that we just "keep putting him down" all the time. It's time for me to take a stand for my family and try to help him. He is very much in denial and it is very devastating to our family. Its draining the amount of fights I endure day in and day out. I am curious and for my future children- if this is genetic and without him being treated I might never know. Please if any of you can comment back some symptoms of Asperger's and some helpful ways to guide him to therapy/treatment. It's very hard to convince a fully functional older man to go see a therapist.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 10:00 pm

Trying to change someone who does not want to change or be changed is exhausting and generally unproductive. You might be able to change what you do in ways that get different reactions.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 11:49 pm

What symptoms does your father have that make you suspect autism?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Alyosha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Mar 2014, 4:26 am

gabx wrote:
He never wanted to go, he feels that there is nothing wrong with him, and that we just "keep putting him down" all the time.

Tell me you wouldn't feel put down if your family kept telling you that you are 'wrong' and the way that you are is 'devastating' the family.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 6:37 am

gabx wrote:
It's time for me to take a stand for my family and try to help him. He is very much in denial and it is very devastating to our family.

What stand do you feel you must take?

What sort of help do you imagine there might be for him? For you?

What outcome do you hope for if you are able to get him into some sort of therapy?

The person you can help most is yourself.

You cannot change him or anyone else. The best you can hope for is to work together to learn some new ways of being together that are more agreeable to both of you, despite your differences.

You will never make him normal or treat him into being someone else. If you have any such idea you must abandon it before you can do anything helpful.

I hope you are able to find some reconciliation and a more positive way of being together for the future. Good luck.

Last edited by Adamantium on 05 Mar 2014, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 6:46 am

StarTrekker wrote:
What symptoms does your father have that make you suspect autism?

This.

It's tough to really get what you're saying, but I read "My dad's a terrible person, I think he has asperger's" and it doesn't exactly work that way :?

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 6:44 pm

I feel for you if you grew up with an abusive father. It would probably help you if he got diagnosed. It is not going to help him. It is going to cause a huge fight. Other family members might even see your actions as unnecessarily attacking your father. They might stand with your father and against you. I don't think anything positive will happen if he doesn't think anything is wrong with him. You can't make him do anything. I know this isn't the answer that you want to hear, but it is true. If he doesn't think anything is wrong with him, he is not going to make an effort to change.

I have a parent with AS. She doesn't suspect that she has it. I am not going to bring it up for several reasons.

1) How would it benefit her? She is less than a year away from retirement, has no significant life problems.
2) I am an adult and I have to deal with the effects of her abuse in therapy and learn how to function as an adult. Her diagnosis will not help me at all in this endeavor, just make her upset and defensive because I am implying that something is wrong with her.
3) I don't need her to be screened in order to get services for myself. I have already been diagnosed and hope to start receiving services soon.

MikeD3
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Mar 2014, 7:11 pm

I was diagnosed with AS at 16.My father wasn't diagnosed with anything but we're extremely similar down to our mannerisms.He's always at odds with everyone else and their viewpoints.And he can be very argumentative or get worked up easily.He just thinks he's always right and everyone else is always wrong,and can't understand why everybody doesn't see things his way.He apparently doesn't realize he's wired differently.And I don't think his way of thinking is going to change at this point.I try not to talk to him too much or about certain things because of the pretty good chance it will turn to an argument or worse.

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2014, 2:23 pm

I can't proceed without thinking he has it.
I wouldn't know how to advise you without knowing what scale he's on.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Mar 2014, 4:11 pm

gabx wrote:
Hi all. I have been raised in a household of severe verbal fighting which lead to a lot of emotional problems I currently have as an adult. Being that I am studying to be in the field of developmental disabilities and neurology, I feel like a lot of things that I have experienced are caused due to the actions of my father. Me and my mother, and the rest of my family, knew for a very long time that something just "wasn't right". We've tried going to family therapy- which only lead to the therapist asking to see my father separately. He never wanted to go, he feels that there is nothing wrong with him, and that we just "keep putting him down" all the time. It's time for me to take a stand for my family and try to help him. He is very much in denial and it is very devastating to our family. Its draining the amount of fights I endure day in and day out. I am curious and for my future children- if this is genetic and without him being treated I might never know. Please if any of you can comment back some symptoms of Asperger's and some helpful ways to guide him to therapy/treatment. It's very hard to convince a fully functional older man to go see a therapist.

You need to give him a reason to go, and then sit back and let him make his own mind up.

Why specifically do you think he has autism? Does he have special interests of unusual intensity? Does he show unusual sensitivity to sensory stimuli? Does he have trouble with non-literal language?