Page 6 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

lau
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 8:01 pm

Raylynn wrote:
I have heard of SeaMonkey, but I haven't worked with it yet. So I don't know how it compares with Opera.
And visa versa. I've tried installing Opera here, but I can't seem to get it to work. It just crashes out before getting anywhere. Maybe it doesn't like Beryl.
SeaMonkey is the reincarnation of the original Mozilla suite. A strange bit of history... the suite got broken up into FireFox and ThunderBird (via a few name changes along the way). Development on the suite was then stopped. I stuck with it for ages, Then a bunch of developers decided to resuscitate the suite under its development code name - SeaMonkey. It's all integrated FF + TB + a bunch of other bits, plus lots of the FF/TB extensions (but not all). I just like everything in one integrated package.

Raylynn
Toucan
Toucan

03 May 2007, 10:15 pm

lau wrote:
Raylynn wrote:
I have heard of SeaMonkey, but I haven't worked with it yet. So I don't know how it compares with Opera.
And visa versa. I've tried installing Opera here, but I can't seem to get it to work. It just crashes out before getting anywhere. Maybe it doesn't like Beryl.
SeaMonkey is the reincarnation of the original Mozilla suite. A strange bit of history... the suite got broken up into FireFox and ThunderBird (via a few name changes along the way). Development on the suite was then stopped. I stuck with it for ages, Then a bunch of developers decided to resuscitate the suite under its development code name - SeaMonkey. It's all integrated FF + TB + a bunch of other bits, plus lots of the FF/TB extensions (but not all). I just like everything in one integrated package.

That is some interesting history! I am paranoid about downloading stuff onto my computer, so let me know your opinions comparing the two.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 7:11 am

Raylynn wrote:
lau wrote:
Raylynn wrote:

That is some interesting history! I am paranoid about downloading stuff onto my computer, so let me know your opinions comparing the two.

So, I finally got around to having another look.
It turns out that, for some reason, Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) is still offering Opera 9.10 direct from the repositories, which crashes. The Ubuntu site itself says to download Opera 9.20 from the Opera site, which I did, and it seemed fine.
I actually closed everything else down before running it.
I was a little off-put when it started up with what appeared to be only some of the tabs that I had just had open in SeaMonkey (in particular, WrongPlanet, but notWikipedia - confused?).
It did have the Opera start up page as the first tab, but actually opened up showing another tab...

...Start rant...
Opera started up showing stopzilla(TM)(blah blah). I can't say I like that at all. I have never even contemplated the product. Opera sent me straight to it. It (stopzilla) is trying to feed off the Mozilla name, which strikes me as unethical, at least. Nowhere on the stopzilla site does it disclaim association with Mozilla. Nowhere on the stopzilla site does it give any direct indication that it is NOT free, or hint at a price. All of this strikes me as the perfect definition of spyware/malware/adware.
...rant nearly over...
I then tried searching through Opera widgets for anything that might stop adverts, with no luck. Maybe I missed it, or is it that Opera is now free, but gets a rake-off from stopzilla for foisting that dubious product on unsuspecting users?
...end rant...

Sorry, but at that point I broke off looking at Opera (actually, I did manage to impost my bookmarks from SeaMonkey, even though it didn't offer that as an option. I think most people would have trouble figuring out how to do it. It just happens that I've been copying some of my bookmarks for a friend, and I knew where to find the file. Nothing terribly complex, just not "common knowledge").

I can't genuinely compare Opera to SeaMonkey with adverts all over the place. It wouldn't be fair to Opera. If there's no (free) way to block adverts in Opera, I guess I can't do a proper comparison, as I'm not going to turn off ad blocking in SeaMonkey!

Visually, Opera does look quite nice, but that's about all I can say. :)

I'll see if I can work up some energy, and have a bit more of a look at it. I did glance through some widgets, but the "most popular", etc, ones didn't really appeal to me - games and eye candy. Mind you, I could say exactly the same for the Mozilla (FF) ones... it's just that I'm more familiar with where the more "tasty" Mozilla extensions live.

ericmc783
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 May 2007, 12:45 pm

Alaric wrote:
Browsing any untrusted web site with MSIE is like dropping your pants on Mission Street in San Francisco and bending over to grab your ankles, with a sign hung on your ass saying "OH YEAH, DO ME NOW, BABY, MAKE IT ROUGH, I LOVE IT WHEN IT HURTS."

AMEN!! !

I love Firefox, MUCH more secure.

Lorn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 May 2007, 12:58 pm

I use Firefox, it's faster, and better designed, and easier to use, and does the tabs system better, and you can add more toolbars, and it has the web developer toolbar, and you can get themes, and because in general it looks cooler, and becase it's more secure, and of course because it uses up less memory.

Simple as that.

mike7699
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2007, 1:48 am

i've been using firefox since it was in the beta stage, and i've used it ever since. It's faster has a better interface, and more features. IE and opera suck.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2007, 5:03 pm

Firefox Rocks!
peace j

h4x0r
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Sep 2007, 5:39 pm

On Windows:Firefox
On Linux:Firefox
On OS X:Camino

elvenmage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2007, 6:36 pm

Firefox, ie renders everything wrong because microsoft cannot follow standards.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 10:06 pm

Firefox, because:

it works better.

Less security holes and no spyware problems.

I kept reinstalling XP, but it would get sick or die every several months. This last time it began refusing to boot, I just gave up on it. It's not worth yet another reinstall, Linux does everything I want. I guess I could run IE under Wine, but I'm not a masochist.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Sep 2007, 6:54 pm

Firefox, I hardly see any annoying pop-ups or get any crap-ware now that I have the Ad-blocker on full force.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2007, 1:32 am

FF for all reasons listed. I just hate looking at the IE borders.

Zwerfbeertje
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2007, 1:33 pm

Lynx. Without a doubt, the f a s t e s t browser on the Net.

Just kidding, Firefox. Opera is neat too. It's impossible to get IE to be both functional and reasonably secure.