I think I've made a terrible mistake...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Reigh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2014, 12:40 pm

I applied for a job at a country club as a waitress. I've been working there 4 days a week (when I'm not there I'm in school) and I honestly think this is one of the worst decisions I've ever made. I interact well with the club members and I rarely make mistakes on my orders, but it's so incredibly stressful for me. I feel as though I'm on the verge of a meltdown from the moment I put my apron on to the moment my shift ends. I have anti-anxiety medication, but I don't like taking it before work because it makes me drowsy. I really need this job but I don't know if it's worth the amount of stress it causes me.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 1:53 pm

Change anxiety meds to something that does not make you fall asleep. Anxiety meds making you sleepy are not allowing you to function with less anxiety.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 3:53 pm

^ agree.

Also, look for ways to create systems and routines if those are things that calm you down.

Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 8:08 am

A highly social job isn't for everyone. It's definitely not for me.

You could stick it out and see how you feel about it, if it's not for you then it's not for you. There's plenty of other opportunities out there.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 2:02 pm

If you made a mistake and don't know what job you can do, perhaps find a career counselor or someone who could help you. No job is worth that much stress, especially an entry level one with little pay. I tell anyone who has aspergers to avoid the following jobs; fast-food, cashiering, and waitress/bus boy. There are some better options that are slower pace and more independent without a boss or customers over your shoulder.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 3:51 pm

You do this job for a week, of course you are anxious. Give it a month, maybe 2 to become a routine you settle in. It was like that for me in a job in a callcenter.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Liblady
Raven
Raven

10 Mar 2014, 4:20 pm

There's nothing to stop you from looking for another job. It's a lot easier to find another job when you already have one. I would try to stick it out, however. I worked a couple moths at a Waffle House when I was going to school part-time and found it to be a miserable job in many ways, but I stuck it out until I was rehired by a former employer.