Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

poker_face
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2014, 5:14 pm

As I've stated before I am doing a course that involves working with people. I am however questioning my decision. I've told people I feel really nervous about going on placement they respond and tell me everyone gets nervous. They however don't understand how bad I feel. I have trouble sustaining conversations with people and feel that people might not like me, complain about me or I might get thrown off the course. I feel like quiting most days and I've nearly done that. It does n't help that our tutors say things like: "the patient won't know if you know your stuff they will only know whether they like you or not" OR "you have to be chatty if you are not the kind of person who likes talking to people you are in the wrong job." However some people would say that being chatty is the ideal and its enough to know you stuff and talk to the patient about their condition.

Along with the knowledge that I can probably do the academic side another reason I've not quit is I feel I won't get employed by anyone and will be off the course and jobless. I have a good undergraduate degree a 2.1 and a masters. I have tried to get a job in research but in the 6 years of trying have got nowhere and anyway I am not sure my numerical skills are up to it. I have thought of going the self employed route and using my degree to set up some kind of apps business creating educational apps but am not sure how viable that is.

Another thing keeping me on my course is the fact that I have a mentor to come and help me at work once a week. I've never had that before and was wondering if a mentor would help me in my communication. Has anyone every had a mentor before and if so how did it work out for you?

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 4:51 pm

I think it's true that being able to talk to patients, customers, or clients is always a huge plus, but no matter what field you look in there will be people who aren't very chatty.

lammiu
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Mar 2014, 6:25 am

I heard from many Aspies said that having a mentor helped them a lot. It's a precious opportunity to have a mentor to feedback on how you improve your work behaviour. I wish I have someone like that when I first start working. I will save a lot of grief. So take this opportunity seriously and many of us don't have this coverage.

I've also thinking about starting an apps business. I think it is important with us keeping open a few options and alternative in career because a lot of us suffers from unemployment and unstable jobs.

The bible says, "God purposely chose... what the world considers weak in order to shame the powerful." Your weaknesses are not an accident. God deliberately allowed them in your life for the purpose of demonstrati