Page 3 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 3:01 pm

If reality is mathematics, is there free will?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 3:13 pm

Ann2011 wrote:

Yes, no and maybe! :lol: In my (subjective) opinion there is no free will, but there is the illusion of free will. But on the other hand if the multiverse principle of the universe is true and there is an alternate reality (new dimension) for each and every alternative course of action then there exists a universe where you chose each one of your possible choices.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 3:18 pm

There is a free will. For example. you make the choice....obey rules/laws or do not. You can choose to go 40 mph when posted or you can choose to go 65. Either way you made the choice. Same with killing someone. You either choose to kill or not to. No one is forcing you to do it. You might have reasons for making your decision but this doesn't interfere with your ability to choose one way or another.
So your will is free in this respect.
HOWEVER.
There are consequences to your choices. If you speed, you could get fined. If you kill someone, you could go to jail or be executed.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 3:19 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Ann2011 wrote:

Yes, no and maybe! :lol: In my (subjective) opinion there is no free will, but there is the illusion of free will. But on the other hand if the multiverse principle of the universe is true and there is an alternate reality (new dimension) for each and every alternative course of action then there exists a universe where you chose each one of your possible choices.

Jeez, the multiverse possibility kind of freaks me out. I wonder how I'm doing compared with my counterparts.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 3:23 pm

I keep having to turn to Google for this thread. :lol:

I wonder if your counterparts can contact you from another dimension?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 3:26 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
Ann2011 wrote:

Jeez, the multiverse possibility kind of freaks me out. I wonder how I'm doing compared with my counterparts.

There could be billions of different "you"; each in their own parallel universe. Some millionaires, some living in poverty, some really happy and some in prison. Each and every decision you made in your life leading to alternate realities. Yes it is quite frightening. I'm undecided on the multiverse; some weird stuff happens at the quantum level but I'm sure physicists will figure it out eventually.

Personally I'm not convinced the multiverse theory is true, in which case I believe you don't have free will - just the illusion of making a choice.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 4:54 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Ann2011 wrote:

Yes, no and maybe! :lol:

Lol, both alive under the box and dead with the exploded poison capsule then!

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 5:56 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
Ann2011 wrote:

Yes, no and maybe! :lol:

Lol, both alive under the box and dead with the exploded poison capsule then!

You got it! :lol:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 9:04 pm

babybird wrote:
Reality is subjective to the individual.

Then how is intersubjective communication possible.

ruveyn

Lostathome
Raven
Raven

10 Mar 2014, 2:41 am

Insanity. Never-ending boiling chaos. Our science, our rules of reality, are only solid and true for as long as the universe allows them to be. But hey, it's the only explanation and function that we have, the only influence that we have. Everything outside of science can just happen. Some things on the inside can too, but at least we can do something about that.

When we get into the things beyond science, beyond our human understanding, we have no control. The rules fall away, and we're revealed as what we are; Toys for the nameless, faceless forces of the universe, to be twisted and guided as they please.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 9:31 pm

Lostathome wrote:
The rules fall away, and we're revealed as what we are; Toys for the nameless, faceless forces of the universe, to be twisted and guided as they please.

I have at least some optimism here - ie. they might not have names or faces but they're more than willing to take on the names and faces we assign them and dialog with us to the extent that we can scare up a pigeon of sorts (ancients knew a bit more about this, we've spent more time as a culture trying to convince ourselves it's impossible). I don't mean to ram that down anyone's throat who believes consciousness to strictly be a function of material animate things, I just find the experiential arguments and documentation the other way persuasive.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 11:04 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Lostathome wrote:
The rules fall away, and we're revealed as what we are; Toys for the nameless, faceless forces of the universe, to be twisted and guided as they please.

I have at least some optimism here - ie. they might not have names or faces but they're more than willing to take on the names and faces we assign them and dialog with us to the extent that we can scare up a pigeon of sorts (ancients knew a bit more about this, we've spent more time as a culture trying to convince ourselves it's impossible). I don't mean to ram that down anyone's throat who believes consciousness to strictly be a function of material animate things, I just find the experiential arguments and documentation the other way persuasive.

Me too..with absolutely 100 percent confidence..or that faith thingy..if ya will..;)Too many dam REAL LIFE SYNCHRONICITIES beyond any current way to measure a scientific statistical probability..for me to ever dismiss IT...:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 3:16 am

perception is reality

noyial43
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Mar 2014, 4:12 pm

^^^^^^ And astrologers study the stars.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 4:16 pm

noyial43 wrote:
^^^^^^ And astrologers study the stars.

Did you really mean to say astrologers there instead of astronomers? :?
Personally I don't buy into that horoscope nonsense.

noyial43
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Mar 2014, 5:02 pm

Sorry. It was a sarcastic response to what I perceived to be a nonsensical post.

My view:
reality=existence
existence is that which occupies time and space

Obviously humans do not yet have a complete understanding of existence, this thread is evidence of that.

As for math, it is a tool in the quest for understanding.