Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

shutterbug55
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Mar 2014, 12:56 am

I am a "high functioning" Autistic. I work as a software engineer for a rather large software company in Redmond, Washington. People come to me for help or answers to some problems they are working on, and I get some variety in what I think on.

Yesterday, I got caught staring out the window at infinity, while I was running a problem around in my head. My face goes blank and I sometimes rock front to back. Both things I tightly control, when I am in the company of others.

They are now calling me "rain man". It started with one of my co-workers, and the name stuck, because several more people call me that now. When I hear it, I tell the person, I do not think it is a complement and that they should stop. Reminding them that we are no longer in grade school, only makes it worse. Some times I wonder if anyone ever really matures past grade school.

I have tried to keep my AS from people, so How do I stop this, without telling anyone about AS?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Mar 2014, 7:15 am

I'm not sure how good this idea is but you could try saying that you have ADD & how you were staring is part of your method for complicated thinking.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition