Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 12:04 pm

Now you can shoot a cop and claim stand your ground.Its possible the cop did not ID himself,he says he did.If someone jumped out of the bushes at me,I would think they were menacing.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/07/f ... fs-deputy/

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 12:21 pm

I imagine it was after the fact that he thought of giving the SYG thing a try. That or his attorney suggested it.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 2:22 pm

What? Someone simply emerges from behind a tree and that's grounds to shoot?

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 3:51 pm

I think its fair
cops can do the same thing and have nothing come of it

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 5:14 pm

Maybe there was some irrational fear of the police at work here.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 6:11 pm

staremaster wrote:

There's nothing irrational about fearing the police, they are not your friends.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 6:15 pm

Well this one looks murky. You're on your own property at night and a guy jumps out from behind a tree; I'd probably casually draw and inquire as to their intentions rather than immediately opening fire, but if the homeowner in this case had done that, he'd likely be dead instead of just facing charges. Cops always claim they identified themselves, and judges and juries tend to believe them until the video shows up proving they're lying, or in law enforcement parlance, testilying. Really, that's a thing for them.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 7:09 pm

In the initial search for the robber who took the victim's pot - - were the police supposed to give it back to him?

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 7:11 pm

As usual the horrible journalistic integrity of the modern media is at play here.

What the media is conveniently neglecting to mention is that the cop ID'd himself as he emerged from the shadows (and it was still quite dark) while holding his own weapon.

Apparently the homeowner fired his weapon basically mid-sentence of the officer ID'ing himself.

A situation where it was likely:

- man with gun drawn emerges from shadow near his garage
- homeowner reacted drawing his own weapon
- as the officer says who he is its too late the home owner is already in the process of firing.

he was hit in the leg.. at very close range in the dark. That indicates the weapon was in an upwards motion as it was fired. A gun's kick usually pulls the round sideways and up but never down.

Anyways, good thing the cop didnt suffer any permanent harm.

Police need to identify themselves before getting into your face and before approaching you with a weapon drawn.

It will be interesting to see if there is any video from security cameras to corroborate the cop's version or the homeowner's version.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 8:31 pm

This from the Pensacola News Journal has some more details:
Full story:
http://www.pnj.com/article/20140307/NEWS01/140307013/Judge-Stand-Your-Ground-not-applicable-in-deputy-shooting

Quote:
A man charged with shooting an Escambia County Sheriff’s deputy last year will not be able to use the state’s controversial Stand Your Ground law to dismiss those charges, Circuit Judge Terry Terrell ruled today after a two day hearing.

So much for that....
Quote:
Minutes prior to the shooting, Finkelstein consumed alcohol and marijuana inside the home with Jonathan Chappell, 24, a robbery suspect that deputies were actively searching for.

It keeps getting worse.....
Quote:
Judge Terrell cited the language of the Stand Your Ground law, which states that a person may not use deadly defensive force in the fear of death or great bodily harm if they knew or reasonably should have known that the person they attacked was a law enforcement officer.

This is the question: Did the cop identify himself before or after drawing his weapon? I doubt either party will tell the truth if they believe it will screw them over.

In this video, a state trooper not in uniform or driving a patrol car drew his weapon well before identifying himself.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK5bMSyJCsg[/youtube]
This was not about SYG, but about the consequences of videoing the police.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 10:08 pm

Dox47 wrote:
staremaster wrote:

There's nothing irrational about fearing the police, they are not your friends.

I can't argue with that.

Al725
Toucan
Toucan

08 Mar 2014, 10:22 pm

GOOD! Finally something to combat cops that abuse their badges! I love it! :twisted:

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 11:20 pm

Also related to police and potential abuses of power:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1702619

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 11:46 pm

Raptor wrote:
This from the Pensacola News Journal has some more details:
Full story:
http://www.pnj.com/article/20140307/NEWS01/140307013/Judge-Stand-Your-Ground-not-applicable-in-deputy-shooting

Quote:
A man charged with shooting an Escambia County Sheriff’s deputy last year will not be able to use the state’s controversial Stand Your Ground law to dismiss those charges, Circuit Judge Terry Terrell ruled today after a two day hearing.

So much for that....
Quote:
Minutes prior to the shooting, Finkelstein consumed alcohol and marijuana inside the home with Jonathan Chappell, 24, a robbery suspect that deputies were actively searching for.

It keeps getting worse.....
Quote:
Judge Terrell cited the language of the Stand Your Ground law, which states that a person may not use deadly defensive force in the fear of death or great bodily harm if they knew or reasonably should have known that the person they attacked was a law enforcement officer.

This is the question: Did the cop identify himself before or after drawing his weapon? I doubt either party will tell the truth if they believe it will screw them over.

In this video, a state trooper not in uniform or driving a patrol car drew his weapon well before identifying himself.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK5bMSyJCsg[/youtube]
This was not about SYG, but about the consequences of videoing the police.

So... were they smoking the pot the guy stole from the initial victim?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 11:50 pm

/\
Personally, I can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to report their stash being stolen to the cops.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 12:31 am

Raptor wrote:
/\
Personally, I can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to report their stash being stolen to the cops.

Nor can I - I wonder if the victim ended up charged for marijuana possession?