Scary experience! Has this happened to anyone?

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2014, 10:12 am

Yes. This happens to me quite a bit. Sometimes, I have trouble recognizing people's voices too.

SSWaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Mar 2014, 10:14 am

Foremost educators*** sorry I hate this phone

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 12:13 pm

I hate it too. Been happening for near 70 years now and, for me, it hasn't gotten worse (or better) thru the years.

When I was younger and used to get frightened, I'd sometimes know it was happening again. And afraid I was loosing my mind I'd just prepare for the worse (duck my head down) and wait to see if it got better....it always did. :D

Good luck,
denny

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 3:33 pm

I agree with SSWaspie about seeing your doctor if you are concerned. I don't think this sounds like prosopagnosia, and with early onset dementia in the family, it is understandable that you are worried.

Eunice
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Mar 2014, 3:42 pm

ZenDen: Has this happened to you with people who are in their usual context? As others have said, it is not your typical prosopagnosia, but then I have not ever had any scary brain glitz before. Just my usual ones. :-P

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 3:46 pm

Callista wrote:
Yeah. I worked cleaning a church once, and I thought for the longest time that we only had one church secretary. It turned out, when one day I saw them all at once, that we had three. They were all light-haired, middle-aged women with soft voices. Oops!

:lol: I've had similar experiences. At my dentist's office I thought these two dental hygienists who treated me were the same person. They both had short blondish hair and were about the same size.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 4:12 pm

I've had that sort of experience all my life. It's not exactly prosopagnosia, unless you can have transient or episodic prosopagnosia, but the result is the same. I know that I have alienated people because of it and that other people have assumed that I was on drugs because I was trying to BS my way through having no clue who they were. For a while I thought it might have to do with very low blood sugar, but now I think the necessary parts of my brain are periodically offline.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 5:02 pm

I don't understand. Why is it there are people here saying it is not prosopagnosia? I experience it too and I always thought it was prosopagnosia. Why is it not?

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 5:13 pm

Callista wrote:
Heh, you should read about prosopagnosia. I have that (as do quite a lot of people with ASDs) and that kind of confusion is everyday fare for us! Of course, life-long faceblind people are a good deal more used to it, so they might identify people by voice, hairstyle, location, or check for a nametag. Lots of little tricks--even the way people move and the way they smell can help. And with enough practice, most faceblind people learn to recognize people who are very close to them, like family and one or two best friends, even out of context.

yeah I developed this awesome ability of recognizing people by the way they move. For instance I am walking with my friend and there is someone walking far away and we can only see their back. Then I tell the other friend: "it's x'" and then we get nearer and call x and it's x. the friend is like: "how did you know??"
(it only works if I have spent considerable time with the person before)

Last edited by linatet on 09 Mar 2014, 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

09 Mar 2014, 5:14 pm

It sounds like propagnosia to me. I tend to have similar issues and have trouble recognizing someone if they are somewhat out of the context that I am used to seeing them in. Not too long ago I was riding the bus to work with someone that knew exactly who I was and I knew that I recognized them from somewhere... it took a very awkward conversation and the entire bus ride for me to figure out that it was someone that I was friends with in high school.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 5:20 pm

Yes.

I joke with people, telling them that if their face was a geometric shape, and their name a number, then I'd easily remember them.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 5:20 pm

nuttyengineer wrote:
It sounds like propagnosia to me. I tend to have similar issues and have trouble recognizing someone if they are somewhat out of the context that I am used to seeing them in. Not too long ago I was riding the bus to work with someone that knew exactly who I was and I knew that I recognized them from somewhere... it took a very awkward conversation and the entire bus ride for me to figure out that it was someone that I was friends with in high school.

totally like me. Those awkward conversations when you only say "uhu", "yeah", "okay", "are you serious?" while your mind is racing like "who is this person?? Think think think who it could be??"
:lol:

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 6:46 pm

linatet wrote:
I don't understand. Why is it there are people here saying it is not prosopagnosia? I experience it too and I always thought it was prosopagnosia. Why is it not?

The OP has said that although there are times when she has difficulty recognising people, it is normally when they are out of context or for some other reason. On this occasion, the person she didn't recognise at first was a co-worker, who was where she would have expected to see them, when she would have expected to see them. She describes the experience as "terrifying" and that her only previous experience like this was when she had suffered an injury to her head. In addition, her mother had early on-set dementia, which can be hereditary.

All of these things suggest to me that she should definitely see a doctor to discuss this experience. This particular experience doesn't fit her usual pattern of difficulty with recognising people, and it's this departure from the usual pattern which suggests to me that it may not be prosopagnosia, on this occasion.

I too have great difficulty recognising people, and it can take me a long time to get familiar with faces, and then time again to put names to them. When I was in my early twenties, I had a successful job interview and the man who interviewed me became my boss. He told me that the day after the interview he had seen me in the street, but I had walked right past him. That was because I hadn't recognised him, and he was out of context. That's fine - that fits my usual pattern. If however, after working with him on a daily basis for some time, I had failed to recognise him in the workplace, that would have been unusual and so, worrying.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 7:23 pm

^^^
Good points, maybe the OP should see a doctor to make sure she's alright. It doesn't hurt to be a little over-vigilant, better than being remiss about your health.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

09 Mar 2014, 7:50 pm

Fairly normal for me. Sometimes I struggle to identify my own family members. :lol:

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

09 Mar 2014, 7:51 pm

Happens to me too at times.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."