Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 7:22 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
I'm not much of a wanderer as an adult though. In the summer I like to take really long walks but on the same route and in the winter I get lazy and hibernate. I had more desire to travel as a teenager and in my early 20s but then when I did travel I didn't much like travelling because of sensory overload and anxiety. Also , when I traveled with my family I'd get in huge fights with them, particularly my sister.

Traveling on day trips with my family was like that too, especially if my friends or any extended family members came along. A "family" trip then became an "everybody but Aspie1" trip. In other words, I'd be present, but strictly as a token member. Everyone else would get a say, such as where to eat or what museum exhibit to see, but I'd be told: "Be quiet! Even if we don't do what you want, it's not going to change anything! You're a big kid; you don't have to always get what you want!" (even though it was more like never). Needless to say, my wanderlust intensified with every family trip I went on.

By the time I started high school, my family wasn't as poor, so we could afford "real" vacations. Somehow, my parents trusted me enough to let me go off on my own, so once we got to the resort, I only joined my parents for meals and came to the room to sleep. Other times, I pretty much did my own thing, which eliminated 95% of all fights. And I kept their trust; the worst thing I did was play pool with a group of men twice my age (I'm male). And of course, drink tequila. :D However, I didn't get a proper fix for my childhood wanderlust until age 29, when I went on a cruise by myself.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 7:34 pm

When I was a kid I was obsessed with wanting to go on an adventure. I loved climbing trees, playing 3D adventure games on my computer, walking around on the school grounds pretending to go on an adventure and exploring the forest alone.

Right now I'm not too interested in physical adventures. I still enjoy my adventure games, but I'm more interested in intellectual adventures. I usually get that through reading books, watching movies or meeting interesting people. I don't really have a defined taste in books or movies, so it's hard to find books and movies that interest me.

I really want to meet some interesting people. Too bad most of the people in my life are boring as hell. I want to meet someone that will open up my world. It doesn't matter if it's a romantic relationship or a friendship. I really want my world to expand. My world is too boring and I know that there's more out there to discover.

LongleafPine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2014, 8:09 pm

Roaming around, exploring, walking long distances in unfamiliar places have always been part of my life, from early childhood to old age. I love that floaty feeling that I get when I'm roaming-interested in the world around me but not attached. It's always astounded me that everyone doesn't roam around more.

Being permanently unconnected however, could be too stressful and uncomfortable. But I'm close to that-I stay away from home about half the time, visiting or camping-very cheap when you're old enough to get discounts. I would be glad to have, and daydream about, not having one particular home but just staying here and there.

As for a cruise- 8O this Aspie's hell!! Trapped with crowds of strangers! OP-You can have any cruise ticket that comes my way.

wanderingdrive
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Mar 2014, 8:33 pm

Yes, yes, 100% yes. I never had the freedom to walk around my neighborhood too much, but I read and collected maps. When I got to high school, I'd take every city bus I could and just wander around commercial districts. I drove from my home in Wisconsin to California, up the coast and back in 2010, and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I wish I could afford to do it again.
If anyone reading this thread feels the same way, I couldn't recommend Jon Krakauer's "Into the Wild" enough. That book showed me that there are weird people - much weirder than myself - that walk away from society and make it on their own, even if it sometimes ends up tragic.

LongleafPine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2014, 9:12 pm

You would also love The Barefoot Sisters: Southbound and The Barefoot Sisters: Walking Home, both books about two women who hike the entire Appalachian Trail both directions!

Also, do you all do this? I never take the interstates on a trip, just the tiny roads, and stop at every trail, thrift store, overlook, creek, country store, farmers' market, craft fair-you get the picture......

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 10:37 pm

LongleafPine wrote:
Also, do you all do this? I never take the interstates on a trip, just the tiny roads, and stop at every trail, thrift store, overlook, creek, country store, farmers' market, craft fair-you get the picture......

No. I prefer to stick to Amtrak or flying, or as last resort, Greyhound. If I absolutely have to drive, then I'm staying on interstates. Little towns spook me, especially the ones in the Deep South or in Texas. They just have a creepy "no one will hear you scream" vibe to them, which was, ironically, brought upon by interstates and the population drain they caused. Plus, many of them have corrupt sheriffs or municipal cops, who are only there to write tickets. Perhaps movies like "Straw Dogs", "Devil's Rejects", "Vacancy", or "Last House on the Left" are to blame for this belief of mine, but it's here and it ain't going anywhere. West Coast, New England, or some Midwestern small towns are safer, but still. So I'd rather stay on interstates, where I'll deal with somewhat trustworthy state troopers, who tend to be calm and professional. Way better than the corrupt local cops, who will throw me under the bus to protect the "good old boys".

Having said that, I have no problem getting off an interstate to visit a local restaurant or shop, if it's close enough. Store owners in a small town will appreciate any business they can get, and the food at tiny mom-and-pop places is to die for. I try to eat at a local business whenever I can. But even then, I watch speed limit signs and hidden cop cars like a hawk! And at night, I will only stay in corporate hotel chains, and never on the ground floor. I don't want someone making a snuff film out of me.

I did some wandering aroin the small town where I lived as a child, and it gave me more trouble than joy. One, everybody knew each other, and whatever weird things I did on the street (like sing out loud or walk pretending I'm skiing) eventually got back to my parents. Two, I often wandered into rival school districts, where local kids picked on me, and one time, even took my gym bag. Three, small towns are rarely pedestrian- or bicycle-friendly. It's not unheard of to have crap thrown at you from passing cars when walking on the roadside.