Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2014, 12:52 pm

I am very upset and stressed right now and I feel lost. I have had my evaluation for a dx for over two weeks. Today was the day and the people NEVER put me in as a permanent apointment cause someone screwed up my insurance and never called me to confirm it. So I arrived today and they said they would let me know when the doctor will be in to get me. 15 minutes go by, and lots of sweating, and I asked them if I messed up the appointment time. They told me that he was GONE ON VACATION!! Till the 17th! Then they told me the next available time is APRIL 21ST! I have been so sick to my stomach trying to pass the weeks with the unknown ahead of me, I have planned out every detail of my last few weeks to help me survive till todays appointment and now I am completely lost! I do not know if I can make it another month without many meltdowns in my future. If they only understood how stressful and scary the last few weeks have been for me. Now they want me to make it through another month! I have had two panic attacks and a crying spell since I have been home and my whole day is ruined. I do not know what to do and I am afraid it will put me in a bad mood for a while. Anyone have any suggestions to help me pass the time and get through the next month? I dont know if I can even trust this doctor now. Should I find someone else?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 3:29 pm

I understand your frustration but the best thing to do now is to sit tight, hang in there and go to that rescheduled appointment. Don't start again looking for a different doctor, as I think that would be as much stress again as this messed up appointment has been. Just hang tight now with your new appointment, as by law of averages this one won't go wrong this time.

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2014, 3:42 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I understand your frustration but the best thing to do now is to sit tight, hang in there and go to that rescheduled appointment. Don't start again looking for a different doctor, as I think that would be as much stress again as this messed up appointment has been. Just hang tight now with your new appointment, as by law of averages this one won't go wrong this time.

Yes, it just freaks me out. All I do is think about it and my children have been suffering from it because I am so focused on it I am giving them less of my time cause I just cant think of anything else. As I love psychology, I do not however, like when it involves me. The waiting is unnerving and I am having more meltdowns without having answers. How do you think I can cope that long? What do you do to help you with something out of your control?

Vacant_Entity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Mar 2014, 5:36 pm

I would suggest (not sure how good these suggestions are though) that you either do as you did before, and plan your time, or find something that distracts you from the waiting. Works for me, but not sure how well it would for anyone else

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2014, 6:00 pm

Vacant_Entity wrote:
I would suggest (not sure how good these suggestions are though) that you either do as you did before, and plan your time, or find something that distracts you from the waiting. Works for me, but not sure how well it would for anyone else

I guess I was in a panic for a while. Partially because I was finally going to find out what the process was going to be like, and also because of all the prep to get there. I guess i will have to distract myself. I have to fill up my calendar as too keep me busy. Thank you for redirecting me back to what I should do. It does work for me. I guess I am even a bit sad cause I am back to being completely curious about it.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 12:08 am

inachildsmind wrote:
I am very upset and stressed right now and I feel lost. I have had my evaluation for a dx for over two weeks. Today was the day and the people NEVER put me in as a permanent apointment cause someone screwed up my insurance and never called me to confirm it. So I arrived today and they said they would let me know when the doctor will be in to get me. 15 minutes go by, and lots of sweating, and I asked them if I messed up the appointment time. They told me that he was GONE ON VACATION!! Till the 17th! Then they told me the next available time is APRIL 21ST! I have been so sick to my stomach trying to pass the weeks with the unknown ahead of me, I have planned out every detail of my last few weeks to help me survive till todays appointment and now I am completely lost! I do not know if I can make it another month without many meltdowns in my future. If they only understood how stressful and scary the last few weeks have been for me. Now they want me to make it through another month! I have had two panic attacks and a crying spell since I have been home and my whole day is ruined. I do not know what to do and I am afraid it will put me in a bad mood for a while. Anyone have any suggestions to help me pass the time and get through the next month? I dont know if I can even trust this doctor now. Should I find someone else?

To put it simply, there's nothing that you can do about what's happened, so let it go.

Can you get another doctor (a qualified one who specializes in autism) to evaluate you before April 21st? If so, give it a try. If not, wait. There's nothing else you can do.

You can get yourself all messed up just because you missed a bus and have to wait for the next one, but you know what? All the internal turmoil in the world will NOT make that second bus come any faster.

Sit down, relax, and do something you enjoy for an hour or two. Let go of worry about this and then don't think about it again when playtime is over. Just keep in mind the date for your next appointment, and go when it's scheduled, whether that's April 21st or something sooner with another doctor.

It's all you can do, so do it.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 12:28 am

Gosh that sounds awful. I know the feeling; I'm in the middle of waiting for my diagnosis appointment too and have three weeks three days to go. I'd go pretty crazy too if on the day they suddenly announced I'd have to wait another month. My suggestion is similar to the others, find something to completely distract yourself with, maybe do something different or exciting involving one of your special interests (for example, I'd go to a dinosaur museum, which I love but rarely do). Do what you can to make the waiting time more fun in the interim.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!