How the hell I am supposed to deal with this?

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 8:56 am

Here's my thing: there is a difference between stating outright that parents are responsible and the age limit is a guideline (as in R-rated movies or toy age ratings) and stating that kids are not allowed by actively preventing them from joining (as in FB requiring you to type in your age.) You may well be right about the reasons why FB doesn't allow it, but they also don't have a work-around for parental consent like R-rated movies do (or like many email providers do.) This is not to say that I think nobody should do it, or even that there is harm in doing it, nor that the reasons are based on concerns like liability and not on anything to do with you or your kid.

I am only trying to point out that if you have a child who inappropriately uses justification to get around rules they don't like, allowing an account on FB might send mixed messages. If a parent here has a problem with giving FB inaccurate information so their child can get on it - since they know their kid better than I do - I support them in doing so.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 11:40 am

I think that what you saw is the perfect example of how you can use fb as a platform to help her learn some social skills and to have good conversations about why people act the way they do.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 5:05 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
guzzle wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
I would just say that since she's 10 you should make sure you have her password and check her messages and things every so often.

Lol, just did. Maybe this will sort itself out. I halfheartedly hid the tablet in our bedroom on friday but she could not help herself and found it when we were out this morning. She gave me the password last night though.. I'm pretty sure she went on FB when were out. And this is what I get when I log in now.

Quote:
You're Blocked from Sending Friend Requests for 14 Days.
Numerous people have indicated that they’ve received requests from you and don’t know you.

We understand that you’re trying to add friends on Facebook, but Facebook is for connecting with people you know personally, not strangers.

If you continue to send friend requests to people you don’t know, you could be permanently blocked.

I understand that sending friend requests to people who don't know me could cause me to be permanently blocked..

Gonna show her this in the morning and take it from there. Might decide to delete the account alltogether but can she then ever start a new account under the same name is what I wonder :?

That just means she sent friend requests to either friends of friends or people who didn't know her "in real life". FB will ask you when you get a friend request if you know that person in real life. If you say no then they delete the request and report it. So, even if I don't know the person, but we have friends in common on FB (it tells you if you do) I either accept it or say "not now". Also, FB will send you lots of suggestions for friends and you click "add friend". It's under "people you may know". I've gotten that same message for sending requests to only the people FB suggested for me. That's probably all it was.

Didn't know that and neither did she when I showed it to her. I think she took it quite hard

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 5:16 pm

InThisTogether wrote:
I think that what you saw is the perfect example of how you can use fb as a platform to help her learn some social skills and to have good conversations about why people act the way they do.

DD is not ready. She has to first learn accept that lying and going along because she wants to be liked is not the way forward. Sure, it will probably serve her in the short-term but I don't believe in this quick-fix mentality.
I'm sure her day will come that she is ready for the social highway that is facebook but we got a long way to go yet.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 5:18 pm

momsparky wrote:
I am only trying to point out that if you have a child who inappropriately uses justification to get around rules they don't like, allowing an account on FB might send mixed messages. If a parent here has a problem with giving FB inaccurate information so their child can get on it - since they know their kid better than I do - I support them in doing so.

Thanks for that 8)