Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Does Daylight Saving Time cause you problems?
Yes 52%  52%  [ 11 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 6 ]
Not sure 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
What's Daylight Saving Time? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 21

weeOne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Mar 2014, 1:11 pm

END DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME
http://www.petition2congress.com/6284/e ... ?m=5234116

Here is the letter I wrote this morning. It got sent via the website to my representatives and the prez....

Daylight Saving Time tortures too many citizens.

Autistics at all levels of the spectrum are detrimentally affected by DST -- simply enter Daylight Saving Time and autism into an Internet search engine and you will find pages and pages of reasons to abolish this tortuous practice.

My own experience was to be greeted Monday morning by a headache accompanied by scintillating scotoma leaving me nauseous and dizzy, so much so that I could not drive to work and had to call in sick. This was my body's response to DST. My autism also caused me great -- and needless -- worry over the change in routine, a hallmark aspect of autism. Thanks a lot for forcing me to undergo this every year.

We are at a point where we need to recognize that DST is not serving us well. People who live in states and territories where DST is not observed do not petition to have it reinstated. Let's stop being silly and get rid of a practice that is harmful to citizens.

Last edited by weeOne on 12 Mar 2014, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2014, 1:26 pm

Amen!

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2014, 1:40 pm

I have yet to meet anybody who supports changing the clocks twice per year. I would like to know if there is anybody out there who does. (besides George W Bush and the members of congress who voted in 2007 to extend it.)

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 2:59 pm

In the UK David Cameron is talking about ending BST and just having the same time as western Europe. But the problem with this is that it will mean in the winter we will be going dark at 3pm and in the summer the sun will rise before 4 am.

In Scotland and northern England the sun may not rise until after 10 am in the winter which means it will be dark when people go to work and school.

I think in mid winter period (December and January) the working day should be reduced to 10 am to 4 pm. But the slave driving authorities would not allow it.

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 6:13 pm

Well, it's kind of annoying, and it messes up my sleeping pattern, but what exactly is the big deal here?

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 1:01 am

I got up late this morning because of this. I usually wake up before ten, I woke up after ten.

I never understood the big deal either. The only difference I see is everything is an hour forward but everything else is still the same. Then when it ends, everything else is an hour back but everything is still the same.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 Mar 2014, 2:21 am

"Spring forward" wrecked my sleep cycle. It's like jetlag.

Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 6:42 am

I don't think this is limited to the autism spectrum, I think the majority of americans hate daylight savings time, I'm sure statistics would support that claim. *googles*

weeOne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2014, 7:59 am

Robdemanc wrote:
In the UK David Cameron is talking about ending BST and just having the same time as western Europe. But the problem with this is that it will mean in the winter we will be going dark at 3pm and in the summer the sun will rise before 4 am.

In Scotland and northern England the sun may not rise until after 10 am in the winter which means it will be dark when people go to work and school.

I think in mid winter period (December and January) the working day should be reduced to 10 am to 4 pm. But the slave driving authorities would not allow it.

I hadn't thought of this aspect of the problem -- people who live in northern latitudes have a different farreaching issue. I know someone from Estonia who made similar observations, and we concluded a latitudinal solution may be an answer. That is, Latitudinal Saving Time may make more sense.

The problem is the change in routine. Studies show that animals that live on human schedules, such as pets and livestock, are adversely affected by the change. The change causes stress that affects their behavior:

"'When humans change the clocks for daylight saving, to suit our preferred working environment, from an animal's point of view, we are suddenly behaving oddly,' Holdhus-Small said. 'To the animals, it is inexplicable that suddenly dinner is an hour later or earlier than expected.'

This behavior shift could cause animals psychological and physiological stress, Holdhus-Small said. A cow's udder, for example, will continue to produce milk regardless of DST and pressure will build up until the cow is milked. Household pets might get grumpy when they show up to an empty food dish at their perceived dinner time." (http://www.livescience.com/13166-pets-a ... -time.html)

Needless to say, it affects us as well, and even more so people for whom routine is highly important.

Our use of DST is predicated on the assumptions of a modern industrial society (WWI era) and followed today based on many reasons such as darkness and energy efficiency but the big wrench in the works is the overlay of time schedules to which we are made to adhere. I think my work hours should change with the time. or maybe I can find a job that would have that kind of flexibility.