Types of people based on your major

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

pilatuspc12
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Mar 2014, 8:04 pm

I just transferred with my AA to a university and I am majoring in business.
I never had an interest in business, it was always something i just felt pressured to do because of my family. Needless to say once I started taking upper level classes I realized how much I hate my major. Aside from the classes, I feel like it is the worst major for somebody with Aspergers.

Not to stereotype or judge, (please dont take offense here) but I feel like most business majors are very outgoing people. Most seem like they play sports or did during high school. Basically, I just feel out of place in my major. I feel like I stand out from everybody, like everybody thinks I'm the weird one in the class. (I know Iam)

Im changing my major to Psychology. I have a strong interest in that subject.
Does Psychology seem like a good major for an aspie?
One where I won't seem so much different than everybody else in class?

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 8:11 pm

Are you doing your course to gain skills/get a career, or to make friends and fit in?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 8:18 pm

I was a biology major. I found the department (both students and faculty) welcoming.

psychology leads to professions with high degrees of social interaction. not saying it can't be done. just saying, you may find the work stressful.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 8:32 pm

I think it's hard to predict what a major will be like, because it will also vary a little from school to school and probably from state to state or country to country. Actually caring about what you're studying instead of going where you're told to go will reward you intellectually if not socially.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 12:41 am

While I was in school, most jocks (athletes) were either business or communications majors. Most of them were more dense than I am, since they didn't know how to count to 20, using both hands and both feet. :twisted:

Yet, the jocks gave the musicians grief for being pansies. Hey, football jock, ya wanna try to march our show? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

12 Mar 2014, 12:53 pm

I'm a criminal justice major as of right now and I find the whole program boring. I originally wanted to be a paralegal and thought getting a criminal justice degree would help with that but I was sitting halfway through one of the classes and wondered why the hell I was majoring in criminal justice in the first place.

I'm hoping to switch over to a computer major and work with data in health informatics instead because that sounds like a much better career choice for someone with a nonverbal learning disability.

Edit: I also hang out with the nerds and geeks and my degree would be fitting at this point.

HugsBison
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Mar 2014, 7:52 pm

I personally hated Psychology as a major, but I'd say it's a better fit than business. Most business majors I know are very outgoing and they were mostly the popular kids in High School. They don't tend to be the brightest people, not many critical thinkers among them. But even in Psychology you might stand out. It required social interaction and a certain level of understanding people. Some of it was too abstract for me.

I had a Bipolar friend doing Psych and nobody really had any understanding of her, and she felt stigmatised from faculty and students alike.
I also felt unwelcome, and bored. I switched to Biology and I'm pretty content with it.

Hiddencreations
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2014, 9:52 pm

I'm a psychology major, I plan to get a Master's in school psychology--I like to help children, the field of education, and I like the testing/measurements aspect of the job.

There is a misconception that if you do psychology, you must be people-oriented. The truth is that if you really liked research or experimental psychology, you can avoid most forms of human interaction--your research assistants can deal with the subjects/participants. You could possibly do animal behavior research. My experimental research methods professors picked research because she didn't like the emotion aspect of psychology that you would find in counseling or therapy.

Your interaction with people in the field of psychology depends on what you decide to do in graduate school, which is a must as a B.A. in psychology is just a piece of paper--everyone needs a specialization in the field of psychology.

I have to say, to do psychology you must be a little crazy--professors and students. A lot of people in psychology have a weird/sick sense of humor and/or a few idiosyncrasies. A lot of people perceive me as weird and highly intelligent. It has actually helped me stand out in the eyes of the professors, so I get more research experiences and I have TA'd for a class. There are some psych majors that seem perfectly "normal". But, there is a portion of students in psychology that have their own past in mental health and illness.

Psychology majors may differ at different universities and colleges, this is just my take of the psychology department at the small liberal arts college I go to.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 1:02 pm

pilatuspc12 wrote:
I just transferred with my AA to a university and I am majoring in business.
I never had an interest in business, it was always something i just felt pressured to do because of my family. Needless to say once I started taking upper level classes I realized how much I hate my major. Aside from the classes, I feel like it is the worst major for somebody with Aspergers.

Not to stereotype or judge, (please dont take offense here) but I feel like most business majors are very outgoing people. Most seem like they play sports or did during high school. Basically, I just feel out of place in my major. I feel like I stand out from everybody, like everybody thinks I'm the weird one in the class. (I know Iam)

Im changing my major to Psychology. I have a strong interest in that subject.
Does Psychology seem like a good major for an aspie?
One where I won't seem so much different than everybody else in class?

Wow, this sounds like me exactly 12 years ago! I even considered switching to Psychology too but decided against it because everyone I knew with that degree could not find work, even with a Masters. I also felt pressured into business and once I got to my late 3rd/early 4th year, I KNEW how much I hated the Business world and Economics and could tell something was 'off' about most Economists: later found out in a shocking way how little they cared about principles or people. However, I assumed a $60,000 a year job would make it worthwhile. In short, I was flat out lied to by a professor and I trusted him when he was a bold faced liar. Needless to say the job (or ANY job) never came. I did know two guys who were successful and are semi-Aspie but they went into Accounting. Other than that, business is a dead end unless you have charisma.

Looking back, my gut instinct as a 17 year old was correct: Business was a terrible choice for me and the worst thing that ever happened was to pass all my classes. I thought Business was perfect for critical, independent, out of the box thinker but I could not have possibly been more wrong. I would have been far happier (and well off) if I went for a skilled trade like I wanted to after taking a year off. Unfortunately, my parents were under the delusion that a Degree is a ticket to success.

morri8
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Nov 2020, 7:33 am

I study environmental sciences. it is made up of biology profs, ecology profs soilscience, geography. I think the biology are the more weird researcher types xD I bet half of th profs are also autistic there.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 9:42 am

← MSEE

I got into electrical engineering because I already had an Amateur Radio license (so I already knew a lot of math formulas and principles of electricity), and I like to tinker with gadgets.

Most of the "jocks" and women at my school took HASS majors because they seemed easy to pass (i.e., art, business, communications, general studies, et cetera). Only us "geeks" seemed at all interested in STEM courses.

Also, while the "jocks" and the women were out getting drunk, most of us "geeks" were inside, either studying or playing games like Dungeons & Dragons.

They socialized by seeing how stupid they could get, while we socialized by seeing how clever we could be; so when exam time rolled around, we were the ones who formed the study groups and earned the higher grades while they pulled all-night cram sessions at the last minute and barely passed.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 11:45 am

In my anecdotal experience, it was predominately the drama, games design and psychology students playing Dungeons and Dragons. Personally I've never played, but I did get invited a few times. Usually the quest party would end up full and I was unable to play.

Anyway, I'll be a Bachelor of The Arts soon, my degree has STEM elements combined with HASS. I write code and learn software skills, but I also design digital art. When applying I looked into Business briefly, but I quickly decided it wasn't for me. The subject was too inside the box for my liking. It seems a good fit for students that like to maintain a system, especially if they have the right networking skills. However, it didn't seem to offer much opportunity to think creatively and I knew that I'd likely tire of the subject and find my mind going numb. If I don't create something for a while, I grow bored. So I went into visual design and learnt some coding.

This thread is fairly old, it appears that the OP has not posted anything since 2014 on the forum.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 12:22 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
This thread is fairly old, it appears that the OP has not posted anything since 2014 on the forum.

Given that user name pilatuspc12 I'm thinking that might be their big interest and if so am hoping that they eventually found something in the aviation world, here's what name refers to,
https://www.pilatus-aircraft.com/en/fly/pc-12

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 7:14 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
In my anecdotal experience, it was predominately the drama, games design and psychology students playing Dungeons and Dragons. Personally I've never played, but I did get invited a few times. Usually the quest party would end up full and I was unable to play.

Anyway, I'll be a Bachelor of The Arts soon, my degree has STEM elements combined with HASS. I write code and learn software skills, but I also design digital art. When applying I looked into Business briefly, but I quickly decided it wasn't for me. The subject was too inside the box for my liking. It seems a good fit for students that like to maintain a system, especially if they have the right networking skills. However, it didn't seem to offer much opportunity to think creatively and I knew that I'd likely tire of the subject and find my mind going numb. If I don't create something for a while, I grow bored. So I went into visual design and learnt some coding.

I went to a Graphic design TAFE course and ended up being a graphic designer for 28 years.
It set me up for life, financially. 8)

And yes, I am a creative person, also.
You may have noticed. :mrgreen: