Are you intimidated by authority figures?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 9:42 am

Have had that listed as one of many clinical observations made about me over the years.
When I first started posting to discussion forums I felt intimidated by the moderators.
Was always scared was going to get banned by one.
But since have been on forum for a long time now, several of my regular forum pals have become moderators.
The latest one is someone have been good forum friends with along time and also has ASD.
So now I realize these people I was intimidated by are the same as ordinary pals.

I think the reason I fear authority figures is they have the "power" to disrupt my routine.
I think that is what it comes down to.
How about you, how do you feel about authority figures?

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 9:47 am

I'm intimidated by police and other authority figures because I'm afraid I'll slip up and I can't handle confrontation.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2014, 10:07 am

No

Vacant_Entity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Mar 2014, 11:45 am

I would say I'm intimidated by them, but if they are doing something I know to be wrong I stop caring about their authority

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 4:05 pm

Yes. I don't trust them. I try to hide so that they don't say or do anything to me.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 4:16 pm

i am terrified of the police cops.

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 4:34 pm

Vacant_Entity wrote:
.... if they are doing something I know to be wrong I stop caring about their authority

Hi Vacant_Entity,

Most DEFINATELY.

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 4:40 pm

When it comes to police it depends which country I'm in.

Some countries the police are respected and if an officer stops you for something you know that you'll be fairly treated, the UK was like that in the 50's and 60's. Other countries you know that you can get away with anything providing you grease a few palms. The places you really need to be careful are those where the police shoot first and ask questions later.

As for other folk, site moderators on any site don't bother me because their only function is to keep things running smoothly. Other authority figures just get treated the same way they treat me, be nice and I'll be nice back

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 4:54 pm

I used to be intimidated by some authority figures when I was younger e.g. police and some senior bosses in companies I've worked at. When I was a school kid the headmaster used to intimidate me. Now I'm in my 50's I don't tend to be intimidated by anyone and speak my mind to anyone regardless of what "power" they may hold over me. If they don't like what I say "tough" and "to hell" with any consequences.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 5:02 pm

Yes, definitely

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 7:38 pm

Yeah I am intimidated. Specially if the person speaks loudly or is assertive/aggressive. If it is a kind of authority or leadership that is caring then I feel safe. Like other user said if it is an authority that does things that I think are wrong then I am not abiding.
on situations where the authority is present I try to be as invisible as possible.

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 9:04 pm

Nope. I don't think I've ever been intimidated by authority figures. Or anyone. Even when I should have been. :P

It got me into some trouble when I was younger. Now I would say I'm still not intimidated, but I am more aware that it is more sensible to show them respect.

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2014, 9:45 pm

I always treat everyone around me with great respect, I see every other person no matter age & background as a source of wisdom and someone to be accountable to.

But when people have an official role/title/job/attitude that makes them impose authority onto others. I go apeshit, I just cannot tolerate it at all. I see them as evil filth and behave accordingly, defying them, baiting/mocking.

sleepingfish
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Mar 2014, 9:47 pm

I have a HUGE problem with authority figures. I am intimidated by them and get very angry that they hold the power to affect how I feel and function. Since I actively avoid being near people and don't like eye contact I am often stopped and 'talked to' by the police. I think they find me suspicious. Whenever this happens it makes me very angry and disrupts my life for days after. Once I was just walking on the side of the road near my house and a cop made me get in his cruiser. He then ran my license and processed me through the system. After discovering that there were no warrants out for my arrest he told me not to walk home from work anymore. Apparently it's ok to bully people who don't have enough money to afford a car! Most of the time they just ask me lots of questions and pretend it's small talk. This is always awkward because I shut down and give them the minimum response required. Sometimes I wish they would just charge me with being quiet and awkward and let me go about my business.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 9:48 pm

I am the authority.

NotASparrow
Raven
Raven

13 Mar 2014, 10:34 pm

I find pretty much everyone to be quite intimidating at first. 8O