Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 4:07 pm

are you side dominant in al ways? Eyes, ears, hands, feet, direction? Does this even make sense to you? IF I hand you an empty paper towel rol and ask you to look through it, which eye would you use. If I threw a coin on the floor in front of you and asked you to step on it which foot would you use? Do you always put your phone to the same ear? Could you handle two phnes at the same time ansd still be able to write down the answers five minutes later to five simultaneous questions in each ear? are predominantly oriented to the same side in everything?

EverythingShimmers
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Mar 2014, 5:39 pm

I'm not inclined to feel totally side dominant these days: I can write with either hand (I switch between them on purpose), and I can also do most activities, such as brushing my teeth, with either hand. This is something I taught myself, but it also did feel like it became more natural to use either side.

In the past I think I was much more right-dominant. For example, as a child I would use only my right leg and just drag the left one when I was learning to skate. And, as far as I can recall, I never used my left hand naturally.

To answer those questions (because I'm not sure if they were hypothetical!): I bring the paper towel roll up to my right eye, I use my right foot to step on the coin, and I almost always put my phone to my right ear, but I occasionally will use the left ear - usually when I want to do something with my right hand while on the phone like take notes.

Quote:
Could you handle two phnes at the same time ansd still be able to write down the answers five minutes later to five simultaneous questions in each ear?

Uhhh... I can barely even handle that question... I'm going to say no! I don't do well with simultaneous conversations.

Overall, I guess it seems I am still quite right-dominant.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 6:04 pm

Sorry I guess the last question was phrased incorrectly. Thank you for responding. This little quiz popped up a few weeks ago on a body language site of some sort. I don't remember the relevance. some things I post here are just because I am curious about how people behave. I enjoy trying to "figure people out" since understanding people does not come naturally. And I tend to be excessively verbose (and redundant).

questor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 8:33 pm

I am primarily left sided, but have always been somewhat ambidextrous. In my early twenties I spent a year or two driving a car with the gear shifter in the console between the seats, and a year or two later I suddenly noticed that I was getting better at using my right hand to do things. I would suddenly realize that I was handling full cups of liquid with my right hand--I had picked them up with the right hand without realizing it. Now I can pour with either hand, but the left is preferred. I have had a number of cars since then, some with console gear shift, and some with it in the steering column. I do think having to use the right hand to change gears did make me more ambidextrous.

I can use the computer mouse with either hand, but prefer using it with the right hand. The qwerty keyboard is more suited for the left hand, so on those occasions when I want to keep one hand on the mouse, and one on the keyboard it feels more comfortable to have the mouse under my right hand and the keyboard under my left hand.

I tend to use my left eye more for long distance, but it is better at that, as my right eye has poorer vision. I do tend to use the right eye more for reading books and the computer screen. I think my left eye is more light sensitive, so the screen light may be too much for it. My next computer eyeglasses will be the kind that turn dark in bright light conditions. The ones I have now don't, but my driving glasses do. It does make a difference.

I have always put the phone by my left ear, partly due to handedness, but also partly because my right ear doesn't hear as good as the left one.

I have two bad knees, so which foot goes first tends to depend on which knee is up to the job. from birth I have had two outward turned feet, the right more than the left, so I have an odd walking gait. I had to wear corrective shoes as a child, which I hated, as they were very uncomfortable. They only partially corrected the problem. I eventually reached an age when it was difficult to make me wear them. Since they were expensive, weren't really doing too good a job of fixing the problem, and I hated them, my parents finally stopped buying them. If the shoes had worked better, then it would have made sense to keep getting them, but I think my parents were right to stop when they did.

I like being able to do stuff with both hands but there is a down side. Sometimes my brain gets confused, and can't make up it's mind which hand should get the task. When that happens I tend to fumble a bit. lol

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Mar 2014, 4:46 am

I'm right-handed, I would look through the paper towel roll with my right eye & I am right leg dominate but maybe not by much. I hold my cellphone to either ear but I dial & do other things on my phone with my right hand. I sometimes drink & grab things with my left hand but I do it more often with my right

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 11:26 pm

I have mixed dominance.
I'm bilateral, though, not ambidexterous, meaning each side is better at certain things.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 12:01 am

I write with my right hand, but all other functions are lefty.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 5:01 pm

Well, I was born left-handed----but, my mother made me switch when I started school. I tested ambidextrous----but I would say that I am, like the OP, bilateral; my brain tells me what hand to use, for whatever. If you handed me an empty paper towel roll, I would grasp it with my left hand, and bring it up to my left eye. If I were to put a foot on a coin, I would use whatever foot was closer. I continue to write left-handed just to keep in practice----also, I've read that it, like, "strengthens" your brain or something, to write with your non-dominant hand. I do alot of things left-handed----I play left-handed guitar. I can't bowl left-handed. I use a knife, right-handed. I talk on the phone on my left side----but, only because of so many ear infections have left me with a little less hearing on the right.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

22 May 2014, 11:08 am

I'm more on the ambidextrious side, but I have natural tendencies for both sides.

If you gave me a paper roll to look through, it would be through the left eye. I do lots of my basic fine motor functions (such as brushing teeth and hair) with my left hand. I write with my right hand, however, and throwing things is much easier right handed.

I don't know, to be honest. :shrug:

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

22 May 2014, 11:57 am

Right-handed.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 4:53 pm

khaoz wrote:
IF I hand you an empty paper towel rol and ask you to look through it, which eye would you use.

Right.
Quote:
If I threw a coin on the floor in front of you and asked you to step on it which foot would you use?

Right.
Quote:
Do you always put your phone to the same ear?

Yes, right.
Quote:
Could you handle two phnes at the same time ansd still be able to write down the answers five minutes later to five simultaneous questions in each ear?

I wouldn't be able to understand the questions in the first place. I have trouble focusing on just one voice and I tend to instantly forget whatever I heard through a phone.
Quote:
are predominantly oriented to the same side in everything?

Right hand, right leg, right ear, right eye. I am 100% right (correct?). :lol:

leftyspinner
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 May 2014, 2:04 am

Left hand, left ear, left foot, are very dominant, but so is my right eye. If I am on the phone and trying to write something, I will hold the pen in my left hand and use my right hand to hold the phone up to my left ear. One of my hobbies is figure skating. I will never be Michelle Kwan, but I can spin and jump a little. Most people spin and jump counter-clockwise, but I go clockwise. Well, me and Johnny Weir.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 7:29 pm

Same as everything shimmers

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 2:54 pm

I'm cross-dominant. While I do the majority of things with my right side (writing, eating, throwing things, etc.), I'm dominant in my left eye. In addition, I tend to pick up and hold things with my left hand/arm, including my smartphone.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 May 2019, 3:27 pm

nick007 wrote:
I'm right-handed, I would look through the paper towel roll with my right eye & I am right leg dominate but maybe not by much. I hold my cellphone to either ear but I dial & do other things on my phone with my right hand. I sometimes drink & grab things with my left hand but I do it more often with my right
I do a couple other things better with my left hand like pick my nose & masturbate but those may be cuz I'm doing other things with my right like holding something or using my computer mouse. I also put Rogaine foam on with my left but that may be cuz I'm used to using my left hand to pick my nose.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Oculus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2019, 4:10 pm

I'm mostly ambidextrous, though by convention I do some things with my right hand, which means I'm better-practiced at doing those things right-handed (like writing). When my wife tosses me objects, I reflexively catch them with whichever hand is closest.

Occasionally I forget, and try to use scissors with my left hand, which of course doesn't work unless they're left-handed scissors.

I suspect some of my childhood activities helped cultivate ambidexterity, like sailboat racing and karate, but I also often wonder if AS has anything to do with it. Just anecdotally, it seems like there are more ambidextrous AS than ambidextrous NT.