Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 7:15 pm

Now this peeces me off because I am technologically illiterate. Does this mean preinstalling malware on computers not yet in distribution(sold), with cooperation of manufacturers of computers, or does it mean sliding it onto your computer through the internet like Ask.com and Google Chrome slide themselves onto my machines all the time?

Web Page Name

questor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 9:50 pm

I have read articles about the govt having manufacturers put spyware on some systems before shipping. However, I have only heard of non govt malware coming on afterwards, through the I-net and other networks, or through contaminated disks and other media downloaded onto computers. Your best bet is to get the best anti malware programs. There are a number of good free ones available. They usually have a pay version with more bells and whistles, but the free version is fine.

I have:
- Ccleaner
- Comodo Internet Security
- Comodo Programs Manager (similar to Ccleaner)
- Comodo Cloud Scanner
- AdBlock Plus
- No Script
- Ghostery
- Better Privacy
- Do Not Track Me

I might have one or two others too, but those are the ones I can recall off hand. I was having some problems with malware before I added the free versions of those programs. It was a major help. I also use a different password string for each site where I sign up. If you have just one password that you use everywhere, and someone finds out what it is, they can access any site you signed up with. Also, each of my passwords includes both numbers and letters, and on one or two sites that can handle odd characters, I include those, too. Somewhere down the road I may add an encryption program.

I am glad I added the anti malware, and anti adware programs. The malware and adware were causing slow downs and glitches. Now I rarely have problems anymore. I am not a computer geek, so fixing computer problems is not something I am good at. I have a computer geek brother in another state who can help when he is visiting, but he can't visit that often. Once I even had to have it professionally fixed when malware wrecked my hard drive, but it was still under warranty, so I didn't have to pay for the repair that time.

Whether you have had problems or not, it is only a matter of time before your computer gets targeted. Get some anti malware and anti adware programs on your computer as soon as you can. There are plenty of free ones to choose from, and with all the malware out there you would be crazy not to protect your system.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 10:12 pm

thanks, questor, just installed adblock plus.