yes 37%  37%  [ 100 ]
no 15%  15%  [ 40 ]
no 16%  16%  [ 42 ]
Total votes : 270

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

14 Mar 2014, 7:46 am

:evil: :x 8O They are intelligent too. It is annoying some people think us aspies are superior. When actually, WE LACK SOCIAL SKILLS AND ARE SINGLe MINDED A LOT OF THE TIME! I almost am ashamed of being an aspie because of you people.Realise NT's have their strengths,and we have ours.Both sides have weaknesses, too.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 8:01 am

"social skills" - I am perfectly social, just do it different than NT's and they are too close minded to accept people who are different.

plus I have superior senses and intelligence to most people I meet.

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

14 Mar 2014, 8:04 am

but they have strengths we don't.again,both sides have strenghts and weaknesses.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 8:17 am

In the long run, it's not good to be ashamed of being an Aspie.

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

14 Mar 2014, 8:19 am

Not ashamed.yet.So,do YOU agree with me,though?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 8:28 am

Nor are we inferior to them.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 8:38 am

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 8:39 am

GivePeaceAChance wrote:
"social skills" - I am perfectly social, just do it different than NT's and they are too close minded to accept people who are different.

plus I have superior senses and intelligence to most people I meet.

My mum still had a hard time accepting me until just 2 years ago, because I like a certain part of the 1960s and I like to celebrate it - Why not? It's one of my differences? She couldn't accept it for three years after I got my life back on track, from 2009 until 2012. She wanted her happy place to be my happy place. She wanted me to watch American Idol and Dancing With The Stars. She wanted me to listen to QM/FM and like the same latest artists that she did. She wanted me wearing the same fashions that her and my sister wore.

It wasn't until I put my foot down and told it like it is to her, that she dropped those expectations and finally accepted me as I really am. It's not just our peers who shun us. Our parents can do the same thing without realizing it.

I live for today in the present on my own terms, by going on the Internet many times a day.

Caleban
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2014, 8:39 am

It's not hard to intellectually learn the things that come natural for nts.

It's very hard for nts to learn the things that come natural for a lot of aspies.

I'm sorry but im not going to be objective, i will talk about whats useful to me and the kind of strengths i find worthwhile.

I find aspies infinitely more valuable than nts.

And please dont tell me about the things that nts do that are so good, ive been there, got the t shirt, and i wasnt impressed. I've got a touch of adhd to me and if there was anything nts could do that i wanted to be able to do i would simply do it.

You might be ashamed of yourself but im not.

Ive always thought that it would help with peoples perspectives in places like wrong planet if they actually managed to succeed in the nt world briefly to show them that that the grass isnt so green on the other side. You know, give them a holiday in the nt world, show them just how crap it is so theyre a lot happier being who they are.

Well i cant help people to do something like that, but i can give you the benefit of my experience because it's something i can do, im one of the aspies that has managed gain the skills to blend in, and its not that great really. I found myself wishing to be around people with a little more depth. At the end of the day, i still managed to find myself on this website despite having no real problems around nts, what does that tell you about how good nts are?

I really wish i could impress upon some of the less experienced aspies just how much a lot of the things they wish for are worthless. You don't want to have social skills anyway, theyre not that great. I mean, social skills to do what? hang around with nts? Puleease. Mix with your own kind and you will do fine once you get past the main problem of us being spread out so much.

Last edited by Caleban on 14 Mar 2014, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Mar 2014, 9:14 am

Aspie, NT whatever. We're all human beings, and we all have our strengths, weaknesses and struggles.

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

14 Mar 2014, 9:35 am

I am NOT ashamed!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 10:08 am

With my learning disabilities, most everyone is smarter than me.
Depending on what one means by smarter.

nikkiDT wrote:
Aspie, NT whatever. We're all human beings, and we all have our strengths, weaknesses and struggles.

That is pure reality.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 10:12 am

nikkiDT wrote:

this. Couldn't agree more.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 10:16 am

I think creating this topic is important. We have to stop this "who is superior?" thing. Seriously.
about the quiz, if I vote "yes" does it mean I am ashamed of myself? If I vote "no" does it mean I think aspies are superior? If this is so then I am not going to vote.
edit: wait now I got it, you are not saying you are ashamed of yourself or of being aspie.

delaSHANE
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 10:31 am

What I got from the original post, was that the OP is "almost ashamed" of being part of a group that shows a lot of bias with regard to Neurotypical folks. I did not read that the OP is ashamed to have AS.

Last edited by delaSHANE on 14 Mar 2014, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 10:33 am

Reality is that autism is nearly always a disadvantage/handicap to overcome and in its severest form disabling, so no I am not seeing the 'superiority'.

With some autistic people a unusual skill manifests itself, but much more often then not in area that lends no advantage over anyone else attaining goals and successes in life.

At the same time autism is nothing to be ashamed of. None of us choose it. Being proud of what you are born with, either way is empty foolishness. But one can be proud of obstacles and disadvantages you overcome in life.