yes 37%  37%  [ 100 ]
no 15%  15%  [ 40 ]
no 16%  16%  [ 42 ]
Total votes : 270

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 2:24 am

Sorry I didn't notice before: it's great to see you again Vicky!

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 5:34 am

Hello, Vicky.
Great, you´re back.

1ssam
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jan 2018, 6:08 pm

That is exactly what I want the autistic community to understand. They think that we're the next step of evolution and that we're going to run the world instead of intelligent AI's as some kind of evil illuminati. The autistic community has their own bias and prejudices about NT'S too. Can you say bigoted?

But here's a fact... the psychopaths have achieved it since the early days of humankind and they still have the top priority today.

Arniel
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2018, 8:25 pm

NTs form social groups and hierarchies naturally, rarely question a group when they are in it and are capable of sharing local social culture effectively through small talk, which makes everyday life easier. This sort of neurology evolved for life in hunter-gatherer societies, for forming tribes and competing with others.

On a large scale and in the modern life, however, their tribalism and heightened suspectibility to advertising and propaganda combined with this ability to form large groups can lead to devastating wars and other conflicts.

I find it questionable whether autistics would be able to form a very coherent society with the social challenges of the syndrome. What is certain is that in some autistics there is a certain degree of creativity and innovation useful for science and expert positions. Whether these traits are only fit for niche positions however, or whether a hypothetical 'autistocracy' ( :D ), controlling the partly useful and partly destructive tendencies of the NTs could work is an interesting thought experiment.

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2018, 9:01 pm

Callista wrote:
Neither superior nor inferior. We are equals. We should learn to cooperate and to take advantage of each others' strengths. A community where diverse people can work together is a stronger, better place.

It's okay to celebrate your skills and accomplishments, and it's okay to admit and understand your weaknesses and your disability. It's just that those things don't make you any better or worse than anyone else. People are equal in value. What really makes the difference isn't what you have; it's what you do with it. Maybe you want to create art, or raise a child, be a friend, discover a new idea. Do those things. Don't hold yourself back by thinking you're inferior, and don't ignore the contributions of others by categorizing them as inferior.

This was a great thread to bring back! I loved this post so much.

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2018, 9:04 pm

Arniel wrote:
NTs form social groups and hierarchies naturally, rarely question a group when they are in it and are capable of sharing local social culture effectively through small talk, which makes everyday life easier. This sort of neurology evolved for life in hunter-gatherer societies, for forming tribes and competing with others.

On a large scale and in the modern life, however, their tribalism and heightened suspectibility to advertising and propaganda combined with this ability to form large groups can lead to devastating wars and other conflicts.

I find it questionable whether autistics would be able to form a very coherent society with the social challenges of the syndrome. What is certain is that in some autistics there is a certain degree of creativity and innovation useful for science and expert positions. Whether these traits are only fit for niche positions however, or whether a hypothetical 'autistocracy' ( :D ), controlling the partly useful and partly destructive tendencies of the NTs could work is an interesting thought experiment.

Brilliant post!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 9:29 am

This thread resembles an argument about which fluid a car needs most. It needs battery acid and gasoline to go at all, but won't finish a trip without oil and water. Civilization needs teamwork. If all the aspies were removed, there'd be less expense for our less functional faction, but also a general devolution of technology. The aspies who improve it generally have to be very lucky in finding their associates to be effective.

Ever since humans formed supra-tribal groups, we have been dominated by the psycopaths, another variant which was useful for emergency leadership, and not too pernicious in a small group of equals. Recently, I saw a neat summation. Psychos have lots of empathy but no sympathy. We have great sympathy for people, but no empathy.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 11:11 am

Who wants to stand in line at a Black Friday Sale? Yuck!
Who wants to stand out in the street as a boring parade floats by? Gross!
Who wants to be the center of attention in the mall or grocery store? Not me!
Who wants to be the life of the party at a wedding or funeral? Don't sign me up!
Who wants to play with toys like a numbskull instead of figuring out how they work? Not me!
Who wants to be the generic, flavorless, crowd following corporate stooge? Waah!