Is playing computer games when an adult is not childish?

Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 11:19 am

My mom thinks that buying computer games when I'm 27 years old, is a little childish on my part. I told my mom that many adults nowadays playing computer games.

I wonder if there are some who at the ripe old age let we say 50 + who play computer games :D

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

14 Mar 2014, 11:42 am

can't speak for 50+ but me and my husband are both avid gamers at 32 and 44, and have a circle of friends ranging from 30-45 or so who are too. At 27, I hadn't even gotten into gaming yet. Tell your mom I'm offended:)

Sylph
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2014, 11:49 am

Well, I'm 20 and I still buy video games, I know someone whose turning 64 later this year whose a gamer.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 11:57 am

32. Still game. Not only video games, but also rpg with friends on the weekend. I've had people tell me the same thing. They tend to be boring people, who have completely different interests than myself.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 2:31 pm

As casual as it is, both of my grandmothers play Candy Crush Saga, and I believe they are both in their 60s. My dad will be 50 in just a few years, and he's an avid player of both computer games and tabletop games. My mom's in her early 40s, and she's a fairly big gamer as well, though she mainly prefers console games.

Lyriel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2014, 4:00 pm

I'm 33 and female. Gaming is my primary hobby.

As for people older than myself, my Everquest 2 guild has several members in their 40s, 50s, and 60s. My mom also plays video games regularly at the age of 51. My boyfriend's dad is close to 60 and is also a gamer.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 4:20 pm

You should tell your parents that they are absolutely correct and you will from now on engage in more age appropriate activites. Like going to strip bars, binge drinking and speed racing.

;)

(I'm 36 and an avid gamer... don't worry about it being wrong in any way or form, its the age of the geek / age of the internet..many people raised before the internet don't grasp the way people live and connect today is an entirely new paradigm).

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 4:35 pm

Dantac wrote:
You should tell your parents that they are absolutely correct and you will from now on engage in more age appropriate activites. Like going to strip bars, binge drinking and speed racing.

;)

(I'm 36 and an avid gamer... don't worry about it being wrong in any way or form, its the age of the geek / age of the internet..many people raised before the internet don't grasp the way people live and connect today is an entirely new paradigm).

I feel the same, older generation sometimes just do not understand that gaming is not reserved for kid only, and everybody can have fun playing games regardless the age.

I once read that as, the first films in the late nineteenth century. Many living then older people felt filmmaking as the work of the devil, unworthy of calling it art, they need time to be used to it.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 5:30 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
My mom thinks that buying computer games when I'm 27 years old, is a little childish on my part. I told my mom that many adults nowadays playing computer games.

I wonder if there are some who at the ripe old age let we say 50 + who play computer games :D

Maybe the Aspie community is not the correct group to ask this question of :wink:

As for me, I'm 40, and while I'm not constantly playing video games, on a typical day I do game for about an hour. Maybe there are better things I could be doing with my time as an adult, but its my way of de-stressing a bit.

Besides, conventional wisdom about how adults should spend their time has formed over decades and centuries when the people who were adults were not people who grew up with video games. The first such people are largely just now entering their 40's and 50's.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 6:09 pm

stardraigh wrote:
32. Still game.

Same

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 6:15 pm

This generation grew up with video games, and the previous one probably only saw kids playing them, so they associate that hobby with being a kid. Not the same anymore.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 7:20 pm

I don't know what the spectrum is for what games you refer to. I could maybe see myself playing online pool, or scrabble on computer, but nothing fast paced, but as for sitting with one or more other people in the same room playing computer video games as I see in some TV advertisements, that is beyond my comprehension. I do not understand how... I am shuddering, literally, thinking of that. 2 38yo men sitting on a sofa at night playing Madden 2057 or some such crap is totally out of my realm of understanding.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 11:29 pm

I am 29 and I play video games (on 3ds mostly).

in australia the average age for a gamer is 32.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2014, 12:15 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
This generation grew up with video games, and the previous one probably only saw kids playing them, so they associate that hobby with being a kid. Not the same anymore.

This.

It's a multi-billion-dollar industry, in which the average consumer is in their 30's, and a good deal of the products are definitely not for children, and sometimes forms of artistic and philosophical expression. It's also cheaper than many other forms of entertainment when cost per time of use comes into play.

The notion that it is childish, is simply an outmoded and incorrect view from someone who probably doesn't follow it all that closely. Ignore your mother's comments.

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 12:59 am

I'm less than 2 months away from turning 33 and I still game daily. Hell, I still fire up my SNES, N64, Dreamcast, GBA...and even play PSX, PS2 and PSP games still. I even generally buy a new game or 3 every month just to keep me occupied since I have nothing else in my life...

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 2:54 pm

Both of my brothers and I play computer games and video games. I and one of my brother are both adults, and the other brother is getting close. My mother and uncle also play computer and video games, and they are close to reaching forty years old.

Tons of people of all ages play computer and video games.