Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

MolinaMegaTech
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Mar 2014, 6:32 am

If you are looking to learn a new programming language I reckon you go to my past post :wink: . Ok here I am going to explain some things for beginning programmers. I will be going through several programming languages explaining their properties, for it it essential to you once you start learning.

HTML & CSS Web Fundamentals
With these two languages they are obviously used for making websites. In my opinion these are the easiest languages to understand which is great for beginning programming (These were my first languages). Also you will need to know a bit more than that befor starting. In HTML lines of code contain tags and what tags are are just function that are used in a greater than and less than bracket (<>) and you will always use two of them. One to give the function and one to close it of (<html></html>). If the tag is not closed of the function will apply itself to the rest of the HTML below it. With CSS it is all so simple. The only knowledge you need for it is the properties for designing the HTML.

PHP & MySQL
Many social media sites use these programming languages even this one! These are used for keeping data stored and moving it back and forth so you don't have to do the code (Kinda like when you make a post). With PHP you can make forums like this one with a data base through microsoft excel or any spreadsheet program. In PHP you do need to know HTML, because in a PHP doc you will mostly use HTML and link in PHP with it same with MySQL.

C Programming
If you are starting with C, well you are up with a little bit of a challenge. C is a compiled language which mean you will need a compiler or you could use Xcode on Mac. You will need to know what a library is as well. A library is a file that contains function for your C program to run and to use those libraries in your code you would write:

#include <library goes in here>

There are many libraries though so that is something to keep in mind. You also will have to know every function of each library you will be using. Other than libraries you will need to know the difference between the C languages (C, C++, Objective-C, C#). C++ is an extension of C making it possible for programmers to have more functions to use. Objective-C is the object oriented to C, it is also used to make apps for iOS. C# is just i would say a different way of righting C, and is aligned much like HTML.

Java
Java is not that of an easy programming language to learn. It is used to make Java based games (such as Minecraft) and apps (PC apps not for iOS). Java is though easier to read than JavaScript (since JavaSCipt has been highly modified). Java is also use for writing computer programms on any OP which makes this a commonly used an MUST LEARN language.

If you have any questions ask below! :D

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 7:53 am

MolinaMegaTech wrote:
C Programming
If you are starting with C, well you are up with a little bit of a challenge. C is a compiled language which mean you will need a compiler or you could use Xcode on Mac. You will need to know what a library is as well. A library is a file that contains function for your C program to run and to use those libraries in your code you would write:

#include <library goes in here>

There are many libraries though so that is something to keep in mind. You also will have to know every function of each library you will be using. Other than libraries you will need to know the difference between the C languages (C, C++, Objective-C, C#). C++ is an extension of C making it possible for programmers to have more functions to use. Objective-C is the object oriented to C, it is also used to make apps for iOS. C# is just i would say a different way of righting C, and is aligned much like HTML.

Thanks for this. I am not a programmer, but I need to become familiarized with MatLab (ReX) for a specific application. I now know some basic commands, but I'll need to know more for analysing data.

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 2:14 pm

HTML and CSS are not programming languages, and if you think Java is hard you're out of your mind.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 7:56 am

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
HTML and CSS are not programming languages, and if you think Java is hard you're out of your mind.

Alright, you're smarter than a 13 year old. Feel better? I've been programming since I was 12 and I'm 47 now. I've programmed in languages you've probably never even heard of. I've been programming since before you were born. I was a long time member of 2600 and I dream in machine code.

Let the kid have his moment of fame.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 10:55 am

Java isn't "hard" per se, but you often need to resort to tedious workarounds that you wouldn't have to deal with if you used a different programming language.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 9:20 pm

I have tried to learn Python and Java both and cant seem to get beyond the first lesson in either before I get stuck. I keep trying to learn through Code Academy. I feel like an idiot because I get lost so quickly every time, but I really wish I could learn.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 10:35 pm

khaoz wrote:
I have tried to learn Python and Java both and cant seem to get beyond the first lesson in either before I get stuck. I keep trying to learn through Code Academy. I feel like an idiot because I get lost so quickly every time, but I really wish I could learn.

When learning a new skill, language etc. I like to keep in mind that if someone else can do/learn it, I can too! It might take me longer than some but if I'm interested, I can do anything.

The other thing I like to think is, "How hard can it be? I mean, It's not rocket surgery!" :)

khaoz wrote:
I feel like an idiot

Never EVER think this. Not even jokingly.

Just keep plodding away at it and don't approach it as a chore. If you think of it as play/fun, you'll do much better. Who cares how many times you have to restart. With time, you'll get there. It's not like you've got a deadline by which it has to be learned.

The only exception to the above is if you've got a problem like brain damage that prevents you from learning but I very much doubt you do.

Good luck khaoz - you'll get there. If I can learn it, you can. I'm nothing special. I just have an unquenchable thirst for learning things including programming languages.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 10:37 pm

Thank you for your encouragement.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 10:47 pm

:)

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 8:02 am

khaoz wrote:

Maybe you just need a little help getting past the first hurdle--if you want to start a thread about trying to learn Python, I (and I'm sure others here) would be happy to help.

To the OP: If you are starting with experience marking up text and other content for web display in Hyper Text Markup Language and then creating visual styles for those element with Cascading Style Sheets, you should really add JavaScript to program behaviors and interactivity into those elements.

If you are mucking about with web pages you should think of those as a triumvirate: HTML, CSS, JS. This will enable many, many interesting things.

You will hear pedants debate the difference between scripting languages and programming languages, but JavaScript can be used to program many useful and interesting objects. A good reason to get familiar with JS is that there are many, many widely used and supported libraries for it and these can save you a ton of time. jQuery alone is worth familiarizing yourself with JS for.

Ruby might also be a good language to look into.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 1:23 pm

khaoz wrote:

Have you checked out TheNewBoston? This site has excellent tutorials for both beginners and intermediate programmers.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 2:17 pm

Kurgan wrote:
khaoz wrote:

Have you checked out TheNewBoston? This site has excellent tutorials for both beginners and intermediate programmers.

Thank you, I will investigate that.

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2014, 4:33 pm

Anybody consider, attended, or are attending coding bootcamps?

The following story discusses the values of coding education, as well as the future development of intuitive programming tools e.g., the proposed Mining and Understanding Software Enclaves (or MUSE for short.)

Do We Really Need to Learn How to Code?
http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/ ... rn-to-code

Thoughts? Experience?

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2014, 6:37 pm

Here wrote:
Anybody consider, attended, or are attending coding bootcamps?

The following story discusses the values of coding education, as well as the future development of intuitive programming tools e.g., the proposed Mining and Understanding Software Enclaves (or MUSE for short.)

Do We Really Need to Learn How to Code?
http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/ ... rn-to-code

Thoughts? Experience?

Genuine natural query language is like manned missions to Mars: Always 20 years into the future. Even if you could ask a computer to write a program for you (which you can't, since a computer is incapable of abstract reasoning), you'd still need programmers to debug and optimize the program, people to plan the development (interaction design, and so on), people to secure it, and so on.