Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 12:56 pm

As someone mentioned, we are in the midst of a paradigm shift. In this case, as with many others, the older you are, the more you are used to things being how they were, and generally least accepting of change you tend to be. That seems to be playing out in this case. Of course, no one lives forever, so even those who do not change their views get older and pass away, which is what I think will ultimately happen with this issue - this graph also breaks things down by party affiliation but I'm mostly interested in the bottom chart which shows the situation overall by age. As the older generation dies off, and the younger generation starts to take over, the acceptance of gay marriage is only going to accelerate.

Source: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... -marriage/

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 1:09 pm

Marriage is an obsolete institution.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 1:47 pm

androbot2084 wrote:

Why?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 2:02 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

Why?

Probably due to angels, artificial wombs, high definition video and synthetic oil. :roll:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 5:00 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

Why?

Probably due to angels, artificial wombs, high definition video and synthetic oil. :roll:

Gotcha.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 2:07 am

Marriage severely limits the size of the family.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 3:27 am

androbot2084 wrote:

But it also provides people the framework in which they can have a family that is recognized as such socially and by the government.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 10:45 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWRWqW1W_cM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SLx2FNFOi8[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 11:15 am

God bless Chris Rock! 8)

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 11:19 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

But it also provides people the framework in which they can have a family that is recognized as such socially and by the government.

Really? I mean, "severely"? I tend to doubt that. At worst it's zero population growth. I already have three children, so when my wife and I are dead we've already increased the world population by 1 in terms of replacement. We're contemplating a 4th child, so there will be twice as many of us when we're gone.

Single parents do enjoy support from the welfare state, so this does appear to be an easier condition than marriage in terms of producing large families. Take away support for single parents and incentivize childbearing for marrieds and this argument fails.

It also disturbs me that our elderly friends and close family members have the firm condition that all parents should only have ONE child. EVER. My grandmother-in-law was absolutely horrified when we told her we were having our second.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 1:56 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Single parents do enjoy support from the welfare state, so this does appear to be an easier condition than marriage in terms of producing large families. Take away support for single parents and incentivize childbearing for marrieds and this argument fails.

Um, all poor parents benefit from government assistance if they apply for it. Single parents may be eligible for more if the family size is the same, but since household income is the biggest qualifying factor, a two parent home with one child and a single parent home with two children count as the same for those calculations.

And there is already a pretty big tax incentive to have children, regardless of marital status.