Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TyrannosaurusAsh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Mar 2014, 8:50 pm

Do you drive a car or not?

I managed to put off getting my license until now. (almost 19..)
I have my license, but I am too terrified to drive, maybe it's more of an anxiety thing than aspergers?
I know 4 other people with aspergers(all older than me), and three have their license, but NEVER drive.
(one of them is also very uncomfotable driving, but did get his license. one has a truck and motorcycle, but is also afraid to drive; the truck and motorcycle were his dad's hopes that maybe he would want to start driving.. and the third just has absolutely no interest in dirving.)

Do drive?
Do you have your license?
Are you/were you too scared to drive?

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 8:56 pm

Do you fly?

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 8:57 pm

Only started to drive in the last six months and will be going for my test soon.

Being here on Wrong Planet really heled me with this.

ToJaFro
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Mar 2014, 9:00 pm

I have been driving on the road since 16 (UK).

Moped at 16.
2 stroke 125cc 6 speed at 17
Currently riding Kawasaki ZXR on full license.

Driving is not scary to me whatsoever, in fact it's the opposite. It's like a game to me. Especially filtering.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 9:13 pm

I do not drive. This has been the one single aspect of my disability that has been most restricting. This was not a problem when I lived where there was bus service.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 9:16 pm

I have a license, but I prefer not to drive. It is not an enjoyable thing for me. I do it when I have to.

Last edited by Stannis on 18 Mar 2014, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 9:23 pm

I drive. I was scared for awhile after I got my license, and I didn't need to drive at the time and had no car, but once I needed to drive, I started driving, and I like driving now.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 9:26 pm

No

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 9:33 pm

No, I don't drive and I don't have my license and yes, I'm scared to try learning how. It may not be safe for me to drive though given my particular symptoms and co-morbids.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 9:42 pm

where I have lived, I had no choice but to drive.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 9:52 pm

I have been driving since I was 16 and am now 51. I have only had one medium accident and do wish I hadn't had that one.

Reading a book years ago called Zen Driving helped me.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 9:56 pm

Even living in a city near the downtown core, I don't understand how anyone can have a decent life without driving. I salute you for pulling it off. So, to answer the question not only have I driven for 13 years with a perfect record (except a false "warning" for going 25 km/h over the speed limit :x) but when I did my road test the officer was an old jaded man in his 70s who told my Mother I was the best driver he had ever seen. I didn't get my full license until 18 and thought I was the last person on earth to get it so I was far more mature than the 16 year old boys in my class. Felt like a 40 year old in a High School class in driving school :lol:

Now that someone mentioned it, of all the people I suspect as fellow Aspies I have NEVER seen any of them behind the wheel of a vehicle and all are around 30. Might be due to $$$ though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 9:57 pm

I wish I had somebody driving me around like in "driving miss daisy."

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 9:57 pm

am legaly not allowed to drive due to intelectual disability/mental capacity,and the attitude have got toward people on the road woud be like going kamikaze on grand theft auto,however do have a car under the UK motability scheme; because am in adult care am given open insurance which allows anyone to drive it.

vickygleitz wrote:
I do not drive. This has been the one single aspect of my disability that has been most restricting. This was not a problem when I lived where there was bus service.

am aware that the size of the countryside differs massively to the size of the UK countryside but woud a mountain bike AKA push bike be useable? or even a trike if are unable to ride two wheeled ones.
the old autism service that lived in had an aspie in their supported living service living in the cheshire countryside without a car,he has a old 'hard tail' mountain bike and cycled everywhere on that thing as staff refused to take him in their cars due to his behavior.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 10:00 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
am legaly not allowed to drive due to intelectual disability/mental capacity,and the attitude have got toward people on the road woud be like going kamikaze on grand theft auto.

vickygleitz wrote:

am aware that the size of the countryside differs massively to the size of the UK countryside but woud a mountain bike AKA push bike be useable? or even a trike if are unable to ride two wheeled ones.
the old autism service that lived in had an aspie in their supported living service living in the cheshire countryside without a car,he has a old 'hard tail' mountain bike and cycled everywhere on that thing as staff refused to take him in their cars due to his behavior.

I believe in this respect I am highly representative of many rural americans, in that where I live there are no dedicated bike paths that lead into town. the highway is 50 miles per hour with no bike lanes. blind curves. steep hills. not really bikeable. even if it were, it would be a 40 mile round trip. one would have to be akin to lance Armstrong to do this routinely.

Last edited by auntblabby on 17 Mar 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 10:00 pm

I am capable but dislike the unpredictability of other drivers, so I've not bothered going beyond a few driving lessons but they said I was good.