some US states considering free community college

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 8:38 am

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/states-community-college-tuition-22950718

Quote:
Amid worries that U.S. youth are losing a global skills race, supporters of a no-tuition policy see expanding access to community college as way to boost educational attainment so the emerging workforces in their states look good to employers.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 12:04 pm

well, here in Brazil we have free colleges, which are the best ones. Anyone can have access as long as they pass the exams.
The problem here is that the public administration is absolutely corrupted and ineficient. In the US it probably wouldn't be too much of a problem so I think it may be a good idea.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 11:40 pm

Sounds like an excellent idea to me! :D

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 11:52 pm

MOOC courses are free. Testing may require a fee, but the courses seem to be authentic. I have been taking multiple classes at the same time for over a year now, just for my own knowledge.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 7:16 am

We (America) don't even provide universal health care. Or mandatory paid sick days. Something like a quarter of our kids live in poverty. So, I don't think we're going to be giving away a college education anytime soon. Nice thought, but no.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 7:52 am

khaoz wrote:
MOOC courses are free. Testing may require a fee, but the courses seem to be authentic. I have been taking multiple classes at the same time for over a year now, just for my own knowledge.

many colleges are now offering basic classes (most of the intro courses and some of the freshman year courses) free online for college credit in the hopes of drawing you in to a 4 (or more) year program. Anyone looking into college right now would do well to research what is available from where.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 7:21 am

Certainly an interesting proposal. The financial dangers of following California’s failed attempt aside, one challenge that Tennessee will face is keeping the community college system from becoming similar to the dysfunction of a normal school district.

One point not mentioned in this article is that students would have to maintain a 2.0 grade-point average to receive the scholarship. I would consider moving the grade point average that a student must maintain to a higher level. It's easy to keep a 2.0 average, which only requires mediocre work. If someone wants to go to college for free, they should be willing to earn their free ride by sticking with the program and working hard to obtain at least a 2.5 to 3.0 average. That would keep the costs down and add to the potential for success when people graduate from the program.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 8:38 am

Shrapnel wrote:
Certainly an interesting proposal. The financial dangers of following California’s failed attempt aside, one challenge that Tennessee will face is keeping the community college system from becoming similar to the dysfunction of a normal school district.

One point not mentioned in this article is that students would have to maintain a 2.0 grade-point average to receive the scholarship. I would consider moving the grade point average that a student must maintain to a higher level. It's easy to keep a 2.0 average, which only requires mediocre work. If someone wants to go to college for free, they should be willing to earn their free ride by sticking with the program and working hard to obtain at least a 2.5 to 3.0 average. That would keep the costs down and add to the potential for success when people graduate from the program.

^completely agree. I personally feel that a free college education should have to maintain a 3.0 GPA (B average) minimum, with perhaps a one semester probationary status if a student drops below.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 2:26 pm

Hate to point it out but anyone who can show even the most basic need for help can pretty much get a free ride already.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

20 Mar 2014, 3:04 pm

I'm all for this idea.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 6:20 am

ScrewyWabbit wrote:
Hate to point it out but anyone who can show even the most basic need for help can pretty much get a free ride already.

Unless you are under 26 and have two parents with min wage jobs. Or work a full time min wage job. The cut-off for free financial aid is pretty low.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 3:48 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
We (America) don't even provide universal health care. Or mandatory paid sick days. Something like a quarter of our kids live in poverty. So, I don't think we're going to be giving away a college education anytime soon. Nice thought, but no.

Yippy, I'm afraid you're right. I do not think it will happen because of people's beliefs like internal locus of control, bootstrapping, etc. The belief here is that one is in complete control of his life and destiny and anyone can achieve the American dream no matter what his circumstances are.

The belief is that these quarter of our kids who live in poverty is no one's fault but their own. To fix our nation's problems people would have to change their beliefs. It won't happen.

pete42
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2014, 10:12 pm

Quote:
The belief is that these quarter of our kids who live in poverty is no one's fault but their own. To fix our nation's problems people would have to change their beliefs. It won't happen.

Yup.. the rarely spoken of flaw in a meritocracy.

What does surprise me is that college is still so expensive in the US, given that the internet as lowered the cost of access to knowledge almost to zero. If you got 100 people to sign up for 3 year online degree, there's no reason you couldn't offer exactly the same education for a $5000 a year, and still make a profit.

You are very likely an Aspie

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 8:19 am

A no-tuition policy for any college, followed by no need to pay back student loans would be even better. Theoretically speaking of course.