Coping with Travel: How One Aspie Packs a Suitcase

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

snayl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2014, 11:21 am

The only way I know how to prepare for travel is to over-over-prepare. When I pack, I consider things I needed but didn't have from previous trips, and ditch things from recent trips it turned out I didn't need. This video is my first attempt to document my methods.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGOipsyiYm4[/youtube]
When anyone else leaves home, do they sort of "bring home with them?" Or is my approach unusual? I'm interested in what people think. All feedback is welcome!

I was diagnosed with Asperger's late in life. I often, though not exclusively, talk about my experiences as an adult on the spectrum on my YouTube channel.

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 12:00 pm

Oh my God. I thought I was packing sensibly when I pack, but no, I pack like an Aspie xD I take every damn gadget I have, and usually I never ever use them, except my phone and camera. I take it anyway! Gah :P

I go to conventions a lot, and I have no idea how you fit 5 days trip worth of stuff in that tiny suitcase. I have to take a large suitcase. To be honest, I do know why, and it's because long sleeve tshirts that fit right on my body are hard to find, so I have to take a hoody for each day. Can't just wear tshirts :(

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

snayl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2014, 2:13 pm

I hear you! Many of the items I refer to that I've needed in the past, I'm sure I needed ONCE. Nevertheless, robot brain says MUST HAVE JUST IN CASE THAT ONE TIME HAPPENS AGAIN. It's not easy being us, is it?

I, too, would gladly take a larger bag, but of course recent size and weight and quantity restrictions and fees just make things more difficult. So it's cram, cram, cram!

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 2:14 pm

I'm just glad I live in the UK, tiny nation :P In the US you have to fly a lot.

I take trains or drive everywhere here.

snayl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2014, 2:59 pm

Wind wrote:
I'm just glad I live in the UK, tiny nation :P In the US you have to fly a lot.

I take trains or drive everywhere here.

Oh yeah, in the USA, you drive for 30 minutes and you're still in the same city; in the UK, you drive for 30 minutes, you can be in another country!

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 3:33 pm

30 minutes? Haha. I live at the bottom of England, very bottom, so would take me much longer than 30 minutes to drive to another country within the UK xD

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 4:50 pm

Mr. Bean runs you through it too.

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 3:49 pm

Wow. I am overwhelmed just looking at how much stuff you pack. Awesome video though. :)

I was cured forever of overpacking when I went out with a guy with a motorbike. Trips away on the bike meant packing everything into a small pannier. You soon learn that everything you thought you couldn't manage without, you can manage without absolutely fine.

Now, even when I go overseas for three weeks, I take one piece of carry on luggage containing:
A couple of changes of clothing ( I like wearing my old favourites anyway)
One smart outfit and pair of shoes (just in case)
Enough underwear for about four or five days (Any longer than that, you just do a load of washing)
I wear boots, jeans, and coat as they are the bulkiest items.
I carry a large handbag, which has my passport and wallet, meds, phone, camera, and Kindle.

That's it. I sometimes get asked at customs about why I don't have a large suitcase. I just tell them I like to pack light, and it means I don't have to stand around in crowds for half an hour waiting for my checked luggage. I figure I can always go shopping if I desperately need something else, but as I hate shopping I always manage fine without. 8)

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 4:51 pm

How Eccles the Mighty packs....................

Take one soft sided sports bag, large one for a long vacation or a short one for a quick trip

Add one pair of shorts for each day and one pair of socks

Add one t-shirt for each day plus one cotton shirt and a tie (just in case)

Coat in case it rains packed as the top layer in the bag

Tooth brush, toothpaste, deodorant in one end compartment

iPod, iPod charger, phone, phone charger in other compartment

Done, out the door in ten minutes.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 3:48 pm

I like your techniques of "rolling" your clothes and packing fragile items amongst a lot of "cushioning," Mr. Snayl. :D I should give the clothes rolling a try sometime. Like you, I also tend to pack "replaceable" items in the bags I plan to check, when I fly. All my essentials (such as my laptop, my MP3 player, my coping items, and my meds) go in my carry-ons.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes