Why do people like to be cruel to each other?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 9:16 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
Which came first . . .
Was it the aggression or the defense?

Yeah, that line of reasoning I would indeed agree to disagree with, particularly considering both clearly came well before we were anything that we could define as human and the causes of the one and reciprocal necessities of the other seem to only improve as we can find more rewarding means to redirect the need for dominance or visceral supremacy that some have. We're doing far better today in the general scheme of things than we ever have in history with respect to violence, just that we have a while to go I think before it's resolved out of our collective race(s).

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 9:38 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
Raptor wrote:
/\
How about some examples? All you've done is rant for several paragraphs with nothing definitive to rant about.

Quote:
Evidence? People join the military VOLUNTARILY!
This is because people want to kill other people. And torture other people, and what else you do in wars.
Most people do not join the military because they want to kill and torture people.

The military's primary purpose is to kill people.
That is THE reason for establishing a military.

The purpose of the military is to be the sword point of a nation's foreign policy. The best way to keep the peace is to be prepared for war at all times. You don't avoid war by pretending that not being ready is the answer to peace. It never has been and never will be. How much history do you need as evidence??
As far as joining for the sole purpose of killing and torturing, maybe you need to do a little bit of research on what most military personnel actually do. You'll find that many of them have jobs not unlike civilian jobs. A relatively small percentage actually go mix it up with the enemy.

Quote:
Besides that, more evidence here:

(from this thread: http://www.wrongplanet.net/posts254297-start15.html)

Quote:
https://nyhederne.tv2.dk/politik/2014-03-17-sf-og-%C3%B8-grotesk-udvise-psykisk-syg-til-thailand

A mentally ill woman must be deported to Thailand while her case is reviewed wether she can stay or not, despite that she is
unable to take care of herself and is submitted to a psychiatric hospital.

The Danish Authorities will simply have to drag her out of the hospital, place her in handcuffs, and then fly her away for deportation.

WTF else are they supposed to do with her if she's up for deportation?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 9:41 pm

khaoz wrote:
Raptor wrote:
/\
How about some examples? All you've done is rant for several paragraphs with nothing definitive to rant about.

Quote:
This is because people want to kill other people. And torture other people, and what else you do in wars.
Most people do not join the military because they want to kill and torture people.

I have met a lot of Iraq war veterans who seem to do nothing but brag about the horrific things they did while they were in Iraq.

Horrific things like what? Please be specific.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 9:45 pm

khaoz wrote:
Raptor wrote:
/\

Quote:

I have met a lot of Iraq war veterans who seem to do nothing but brag about the horrific things they did while they were in Iraq. Most of them drive around now in cars or trucks filled with guns and knives while they sedate themselves with large quantities of prescribed medication from VA doctors. I am a viet nam era vet. I was not in viet nam, but I served with many veterans who did serve in viet nam, and very few of them ran around bragging about the people they had killed or the lives they had destroyed. Those who did talk like that were ostracized by their peers.

Was there as much stop-lossing during Vietnam, tho? I've read of people having to do 5 tours between Iraq and Afghanistan.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 9:53 pm

The majority of vets that have seen horrific things don't talk about what they saw or had to do.Many will become very disturbed if a person with no manners asks the stupid question,"Did you kill anyone?"The ones that go around claiming they did all this crap usually never saw real combat.Just my personal experience.
Many young men and women from here join because it's the only way to a education, and there are no jobs here.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 10:33 pm

khaoz wrote:
Raptor wrote:
/\

Quote:

I have met a lot of Iraq war veterans who seem to do nothing but brag about the horrific things they did while they were in Iraq. Most of them drive around now in cars or trucks filled with guns and knives while they sedate themselves with large quantities of prescribed medication from VA doctors. I am a viet nam era vet. I was not in viet nam, but I served with many veterans who did serve in viet nam, and very few of them ran around bragging about the people they had killed or the lives they had destroyed. Those who did talk like that were ostracized by their peers.

I work with two Vietnam vets. All they do on breaks is talk about their horror stories and kills. So it may depend on the person.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 11:18 pm

Its simple really, there are good people and bad people and there are nice people and jerks! Some people are jerks for no reason and sometimes they had a bad past and think that being mean to the rest of the world makes it better!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 7:06 am

khaoz wrote:
I have met a lot of Iraq war veterans who seem to do nothing but brag about the horrific things they did while they were in Iraq. Most of them drive around now in cars or trucks filled with guns and knives while they sedate themselves with large quantities of prescribed medication from VA doctors.

I have met one Afghan vet (3 tours) who bragged about some violent and horrible things. And that is with working at a VA Medical center for a while now. When discussing their military experience, most vets seem to spend most of their time talking about what happened on leave or about their friends while in. A lot more vets have talked to me about the poor conditions in smaller Iraq/Afghanistan towns and villages than have about any type of violence.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 8:34 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Ann2011 wrote:
Which came first . . .
Was it the aggression or the defense?

Yeah, that line of reasoning I would indeed agree to disagree with, particularly considering both clearly came well before we were anything that we could define as human and the causes of the one and reciprocal necessities of the other seem to only improve as we can find more rewarding means to redirect the need for dominance or visceral supremacy that some have. We're doing far better today in the general scheme of things than we ever have in history with respect to violence, just that we have a while to go I think before it's resolved out of our collective race(s).

I appreciate your positive outlook. I agree that humans have become less callous over time. But cruelty does remain in the hearts of some people.