Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 2:31 am

anyone else have this problem. I can't go outside to do walks alone. I get filled with fear. My friend doesn't get it and thinks I'm just idk.

Last edited by sly279 on 19 Mar 2014, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 10:52 am

If you want to exercise you don't have to go outside to do it. You can do a lot of things indoors by yourself.

This guy was in pretty bad shape but managed to turn himself around by just doing yoga.
If he can do it, you can do it too. You just have to be motivated enough.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/0 ... 78847.html
You don't have to do this particular type of yoga, you can find many yoga videos for begginers on youtube.
Or it doesn't have to be yoga, there are other exercises you can do indoors.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 2:24 pm

what are you afraid of? probably look into getting that fixed, but also, what Yuzu said, no need to go out. And I would repeat about lifting weights..fill 2l bottles with water and do increasing reps until it becomes easy then fill them with sand and carry on. You need muscle mass and you cannot make that by walking, you have to lift heavy stuff (squats for example would be your legs lifting heavy stuff that's the top of your body + weights)

And yoga is a great for your overall being, mental relaxation as well as physical conditioning, so try and do that if you can.

Good luck - exercise of any kind is essential for our well being.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 3:35 am

leafplant wrote:
what are you afraid of? probably look into getting that fixed, but also, what Yuzu said, no need to go out. And I would repeat about lifting weights..fill 2l bottles with water and do increasing reps until it becomes easy then fill them with sand and carry on. You need muscle mass and you cannot make that by walking, you have to lift heavy stuff (squats for example would be your legs lifting heavy stuff that's the top of your body + weights)

And yoga is a great for your overall being, mental relaxation as well as physical conditioning, so try and do that if you can.

Good luck - exercise of any kind is essential for our well being.

I don't know, people, the outside. I haven't been out much. I go out for work every 3 months but then back in. Also out to get food every 2 weeks. I just get so afraid and the anxiety hits hard, when I think of going out. I don't do stuff alone. I use to go on daily walks with friends. lifting weights and other stuff is more doable in a social setting too.

certainly its also partly lazy. I've always been 50/50 add/lazy. Like wanting to walk to the next bu stop/wait for the bus. The anxiety has tipped the scale towards the lazy side though. Its hard to over come both, then of course sadness also pops in every so often to join that side. If I had a free gym membership and someone to work out with I'd probably jump at the chance.

DukeJanTheGrey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2014, 8:45 pm

My sister was a physical trainer in the British army for many a year, she has competed successfully in the ironman triathlon and is now running her own fitness business. Next Tuesday i am going to one of her cross training lessons for the first time. She has been asking me for months and months to attend but my anxiety has prevented me from doing so. I know there is going to be 4 members of my family there but still i am very fearful of going. I feel your pain, in my head i want to make an effort to communicate and form friendships with people there who are not part of my family but in reality i know i will shy away in a corner and not enjoy it or talk to anyone. I am giving it a go anyway, I have spent hard cash on new gym clothes so i have to. If i do end up enjoying myself then all that anxiety is all my head, and if it is in my head then it is in your head to. I will report back next week and tell you it went.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 8:56 pm

I feel this sometimes. The best thing to do is to push back and go out anyway, but I give myself one day to hibernate. You just can't let it override everything.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Mar 2014, 10:17 pm

It sounds like you may have social anxiety disorder. My girlfriend has that & she hates going out because there's people. It's easier for her when I go with her but she still has problems with it & it really stresses her out days before & the rest of the day she goes out. Medication could help. I take Buspar for generalized anxiety & my anxiety is about the level of a normal person. What I like about it is that it's the only med specially for anxiety & it's supposed to be for the physical symptoms but me & some others found it helps with mental too. It helps my girlfriend with some of the physical symptoms but not the mental & she's been trying to find the rite antidepressant because she has bad depression. Antidepressants, beta blockers & the antihistamine Vistaril can all help with anxiety. It would be good to research meds alittle & make an appointment with a GP about it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition