Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 6:44 am

Because there is an estimated 40 million fake £1 coins out there, they are now changing the £1 coin.

This might be of news to the coin collectors of WP to try and get the real £1 coins before they disappear into thin air, but this is especially annoying news for businesses in the UK, like slot machines, shopping trolleys, phone boxes, vending machines, coin weighing machines, parking meters, you name it, will all have to be changed/adapted.

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 2:13 pm

And they still have a profile of Her Majesty. In the U.S., money, be it bills or coins, is not supposed to bear the image of any living person, per federal law.

Looks flashy, though.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 2:45 pm

I wonder how much it costs to mint a fake £1 coin? Doesn't seem like a very cost effective crime.

DukeJanTheGrey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Mar 2014, 5:33 pm

Think of all the shopping trolleys they will have to adjust. I was thinking of making a vending machine to save swapping them all round. You put one of the new 12 sided pound coins in, you get out on of those old pound coin shaped tokens to use in the trolley. It will save converting all those trolleys and a good business for someone. If only i could be bothered doing it.