I like women who don't wear makeup.

Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Archdevilius
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2014, 12:43 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:

Japanese women tend to take care of their skin and simply wear make up as artistic expression instead of using it as a cover for skin imperfections.

Archdevilius
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2014, 12:49 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:

Japanese women tend to take care of their skin and simply wear make up as artistic expression instead of using it as a cover for skin imperfections.

thumbhole
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2014, 1:29 pm

^ If by "Japanese women" you mean average members of society (as opposed to geisha), then I disagree. I keep hearing that excuse of "artistic expression" as a justification for wearing makeup, but very few people actually use makeup as a form of artistic expression. Most women (not just in Japan; I mean women everywhere) are actually just using makeup to make themselves look prettier.

The people genuinely using makeup as a form of artistic expression are in the minority, and they include: makeup artists in theatre and catwalk events, people who identify with sub-cultures such as goth, Lolita, etc, and certain African tribes. Those kinds of people are painting a brand new image onto the face that does not in any way resemble the natural face underneath, and is just a product of their own creative imagination.

Average women, on the other hand, are painting over their real faces to produce an enhanced and perfected version of what's really there already, and make themselves look prettier. I'm not passing judgement to say if that's right or wrong; all I'm saying is that I don't think that using makeup to hide one's imperfections and enhance one's nicer features falls into the category of "artistic expression" at all.

Archdevilius
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2014, 2:38 pm

thumbhole wrote:
^ If by "Japanese women" you mean average members of society (as opposed to geisha), then I disagree. I keep hearing that excuse of "artistic expression" as a justification for wearing makeup, but very few people actually use makeup as a form of artistic expression. Most women (not just in Japan; I mean women everywhere) are actually just using makeup to make themselves look prettier.

The people genuinely using makeup as a form of artistic expression are in the minority, and they include: makeup artists in theatre and catwalk events, people who identify with sub-cultures such as goth, Lolita, etc, and certain African tribes. Those kinds of people are painting a brand new image onto the face that does not in any way resemble the natural face underneath, and is just a product of their own creative imagination.

Average women, on the other hand, are painting over their real faces to produce an enhanced and perfected version of what's really there already, and make themselves look prettier. I'm not passing judgement to say if that's right or wrong; all I'm saying is that I don't think that using makeup to hide one's imperfections and enhance one's nicer features falls into the category of "artistic expression" at all.

Why does it have to be a large amount of make up to be artistic? I'm a guy and I have worn black eyeliner, eye shadow and nail polish. Smaller amounts of make up can be attractive, appealing and creative, it doesn't have to done in large amounts, even a small touch of purple eyeshadow can look good and complement clothing.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 2:54 pm

thumbhole wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
^ well, you're one who believes that men who don't use lip balm/moisture = dry lips like fish scales and unkissable.
lol not picking on you, but I couldn't resist.....

Boo, colourless lip balm is not worn in order to change one's appearance. It's worn just to keep the skin healthy.

Taking care of your skin is not the same thing as painting a fake mask over it. Makeup and lip balm are not at all the same thing, so your comment makes no sense (unless the lip balm is tinted, in which case I'd classify it as "makeup" rather than just a medicinal balm).

Lipstick, on the other hand (also coloured lip balm and coloured lip gloss) is in the category of "makeup" because its sole purpose is to be worn to change the colour of the lips and deliberately deceive people into seeing a false image of the wearer's face that does not exist in reality.

I never wear tinted lip balm, and I never wear makeup, either. All I do is use a face wash to clean my face, and then a moisturiser and colourless homemade lip balm to keep my skin healthy. If people don't like my real face, well, fine. That's their problem, not mine. They don't have to look at me if they don't want to! :)

They are all under cosmetics mega category. :P

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 2:58 pm

Sometimes it's so overdone that they look like porcelain toys.

thumbhole
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2014, 5:39 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Cosmetics are not the same thing as toiletries. Perhaps you don't understand that, because you're not a woman. ;)

Archdevilius wrote:
Why does it have to be a large amount of make up to be artistic?

Why are you directing that at me? I never said any such thing. If you read my post again, you'll notice that I said nothing about the amount of makeup, whether large or small.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 6:02 pm

thumbhole wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Cosmetics are not the same thing as toiletries. Perhaps you don't understand that, because you're not a woman. ;)

Archdevilius wrote:
Why does it have to be a large amount of make up to be artistic?

Why are you directing that at me? I never said any such thing. If you read my post again, you'll notice that I said nothing about the amount of makeup, whether large or small.

Quote:
cosmetic
kɒzˈmɛtɪk/Submit
noun
plural noun: cosmetics
1. a preparation applied to the body, especially the face, to improve its appearance.
"the range covers everything from the latest cosmetics to skin and hair care"
synonyms: make-up, beauty products, beauty aids; informalwarpaint, face paint, paint, slap; raremaquillage
"their faces were heavily coated with cosmetics"

Toiletries make me think of shampoo and soap

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 7:48 pm

thumbhole wrote:

Why do people need a justification for wearing makeup? Is it something that needs to be justified in your eyes?
Wanting to look prettier does not justify wearing makeup? Or just because they want to is not a good enough reason?

thumbhole wrote:

thumbhole wrote:
Lipstick, on the other hand (also coloured lip balm and coloured lip gloss) is in the category of "makeup" because its sole purpose is to be worn to change the colour of the lips and deliberately deceive people into seeing a false image of the wearer's face that does not exist in reality.

So you say women who wear makeup are all deceiving people. Do you think deceiving people right or wrong?
Can you still say you're not judging other people for wearing makeup?

mother2t
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2014, 9:42 pm

thumbhole wrote:

I agree. I lived in Tokyo for a little while. The average woman there is very made up. Same in Korea.

FrankiDelano
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2014, 9:45 pm

I like that this post is still going, and there are still so many people talking about my personal opinion. You know what I'm gonna let you all have it, cause odds are I'll never meet any of you in real life.

I would just like my final words to be this: when we set standards for beauty, whether it be a 90 pound, make-up clad, damsel, or a 190 pound homely, frizzy-haired, girl, it's just a bad thing to look at the exterior of someone and tell them they need to look different. If someone wants to change their looks using make-up, hair dye, or nail polish then they can, I have nothing against that, but they shouldn't feel pressured from the media (and believe me having grown up with this current generation girls are VERY pressured by the media into looking "prettier"), or from a husband, or friend or anyone else. That's just why I feel that a more natural woman is beautiful, but women who wear make-up are in no way, shape, or form ugly. Just remember the last sentence of my original post, and that I personally care more for what a woman has to say than the way she looks.

Caleban
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 12:09 pm

Yup, the intent of makeup is to enhance one's natural beauty. Most people can't tell whether or not I'm wearing makeup. I normally only wear a bit of powder foundation to minimize uneven skin tones, and since I wear glasses and my eyes are one of my best features, I wear a bit of eyeliner and mascara to make my eyes a bit more visible behind the lenses. I also wear very slightly tinted lip balm to keep my lips from drying out.

My late fiance used to insist that I didn't wear make up. I finally started making him really look at me and guess if I had it on or not. After a few times of post-shower, pre-makeup inspections followed by post-makeup inspections, he finally got to where he could tell the difference, but he admitted it was really subtle.

GinBlossoms
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2014, 4:04 pm

Yeh well, I am in that minority too. Also, if a woman is blonde and has barely-there eyebrows, it still looks more attractive than eyebrow pencil.

Evan385
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Mar 2014, 7:25 pm

FrankiDelano wrote:
I like to see a woman's real face, not one that's covered in synthesized materials. I like a woman's real lips, and I hate the taste of lipstick when her lips are pressed up against mine. I like women who don't die their hair, cause real hair feels much better to run through your fingers. I like women who don't take a half a f***ing hour to get ready. I like women who don't put to much effort in their hair, cause hey I don't. I don't mind nail polish though funny enough. I like women who wear loose fitting and comfortable clothes, not tops that look so tight making it appear they are being choked to death. I guess I like the woman who has simple needs like myself. None of this could ever matter more to me though, in a relationship, than what a woman has to say.

I agree with this 100%. There's nothing more beautiful than that natural look. I don't mind fingernail polish but come on, when it starts to chip you need to take it off or that just looks trashy. Also agree with Gin in that drawn on eyebrows are not attractive.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 5:58 am

Archdevilius wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

As opposed to everyone else?

What a dumb generalisation.

Fuuu.