Before drinking at the water fountain

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

freddie_mercury
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2014, 8:18 am

Does anyone else have trouble drinking from a water fountain right after someone else has been there?

I find that I have to wait until I think their smell has moved on. Most times I will try to discretely blow as if to try and clear the air before I take a drink.

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 8:19 am

I don't have a sense of smell, but I don't really like to drink from fountains unless I have to, because people like to dribble...

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 8:34 am

I don't have any issue drinking after others, I don't smell their residual but I do sometimes smell and taste the metals in the water and sometimes I don't like that.

Wreck It Ralph

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 11:56 am

skibum wrote:
I don't have any issue drinking after others, I don't smell their residual but I do sometimes smell and taste the metals in the water and sometimes I don't like that.

Same for me. I don't like drinking tap water, especially city water that has been treated with chemicals.

I don't mind drinking after someone else at a fountain, but it bothers me to know someone is behind me waiting for their turn, it makes me feel rushed.

freddie_mercury
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2014, 12:35 pm

I agree...having someone behind me causes tension. And in that sense, knowing people are waiting on me for any reason causes a great deal of stress.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 1:06 pm

I don't like drinking from a water fountain because people put their lips on the spout, it's really gross.

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 2:12 pm

I'm OK with it so long as I consider the person that I saw drinking from it to be "Pure".

It's like sharing a bottle of cola with someone. If I consider them to be "Pure" then I don't mind at all, however if I consider them to "not be Pure" then I won't drink from the same bottle.

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 10:22 am

The water from the tap tastes "thick" to me. Maybe it's all that recycled spit. . . .

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 3:32 pm

JSBACHlover wrote:
The water from the tap tastes "thick" to me. Maybe it's all that recycled spit. . . .

HI JSBACHlover,

Water out of the tap is not just recycled spit, but also recycled urine, bath water, washing-up water, toilet flushings, and all sorts of other stuff that ends up in the drain. Thankfully it is treated at the waterworks plant, where they remove all that stuff, add flouride, & pump it back to the consumer to come out of their taps to drink & bathe in.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaXth88i7rk[/youtube]

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 6:47 pm

StarCity wrote:
HI JSBACHlover,

Water out of the tap is not just recycled spit, but also recycled urine, bath water, washing-up water, toilet flushings, and all sorts of other stuff that ends up in the drain. Thankfully it is treated at the waterworks plant, where they remove all that stuff, add flouride, & pump it back to the consumer to come out of their taps to drink & bathe in.

This is why I'm glad I have well water.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 8:38 pm

Not really if I am thirsty and there is a drinking fountain I am more thinking about how thirsty I am rather than the person before me or anything like that. I cannot think of any time I have gotten sick from drinking out of a drinking fountain so I am not all that concerned about it.

I still think tap water is gross and try not to drink it, but typically thirst overwhelms that in some situations...but I do prefer some of the slightly more expensive mountain spring water not sure how much better it is than tap water but it does taste better, it even tastes better than the filtered water thing we have at my house. My moms boyfriend thinks its weird I buy that water...and sometimes I even buy more expensive water like I got some norwegian spring water in a box but it was rather pricy I just could not resist because I wanted boxes of water as I had never seen it before. that is how I shop sometimes..'I think I want to try that, its a little pricey but whatever'. probably still cheaper than ordering pizza since I like a crap load of ingredients on them so an 11.00 pizza ends up being like 30 because of all the ingredients I want at least that was what it ended up being the last time, perhaps there is a cheaper place around here.

DeuceKaboose
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2014, 9:34 pm

I can drink from public water fountains but I always kind of inspect them before drinking and I have to analyze about it for a minute before drinking from it normally i think about

1. Is there a lot of little kids here who might dribble or spit into the fountain?

2. If there is anything in the fountain like gum I can't drink from it

3. If there is a lot of algae on the spout I can't drink from it

4. If the water does not shoot out with a lot of pressure and just kind of dribbles out I think of the fact that people would have to pretty much kiss the water fountain to get any water

5. Is this location reputable for being clean and having a good janitorial crew? or is this somewhere that puts cleanliness as an afterthought?

Also I despite warm water :evil:

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 9:38 pm

No the water has to be a little warm to let the bacteria grow. :lol:

There eating and drinking in that warm water.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 9:45 pm

DeuceKaboose wrote:
4. If the water does not shoot out with a lot of pressure and just kind of dribbles out I think of the fact that people would have to pretty much kiss the water fountain to get any water

Yeah that is something I take note of before drinking.

I don't come across many water fountains to begin with though. I guess I just don't go places that have them very often.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 9:58 pm

StarCity wrote:
JSBACHlover wrote:

HI JSBACHlover,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaXth88i7rk[/youtube]

I know all that, but it's a texture issue for me. It may just be the nature of water coming out of a fountain with it's own acceleration that I find to feel thick.