Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 12:52 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
However how can one expect this when they fall victim to the 'autistics are superior' mentality? I mean come on people if our messege is autistics are better and that we wish everyone's brains worked like ours or that we're too 'cool', 'awesome' ect to be neurotypical....how is this supposed to increase acceptance? I mean if we can't accept neurotypicals for being neurotypicals why in the ***** should they accept us for being autistic? Perhaps I am ranting but some of the comments I see around this board really anger me...I am not much of one for the us vs. them mentality it usually doesn't solve things whats wrong with neurodiversity?

The nationalist "you can do what you want in your region, we control ours" message.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 3:27 pm

I don't consider most NTs to be shallow brainless twits. That is not a fact.

I have noticed that some autistic people talk about how knowledgeable they are on Topic XYZ and compare their intellectual strengths to a stereotype of most NTs as shallow brainless twits.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 3:56 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Lots of people come of as shallow brainless twits...but they certainly aren't all neurotypicals...I feel like ignorance is a very large problem but not sure hating people guility of it is the best way to go. And not all neurotypicals are ignorant but a lot of them are, I like to think educating people would help but then maybe it wouldn't....I just don't see myself as superior because it seems pointless.

Before my daughter was diagnosed, I was certainly ignorant. But it didn't make me a bad person. I am very thankful that the first group of autistics that I interacted with shared your same view, Sweetleaf. They let me ask my ignorant questions, and patiently supplied me with the information I needed. They worked under the presumption that at heart I was a good person who wanted to do right by my daughter, but just had misguided information. They assumed that, as a good person, once I was given enlightened information, my ignorance would cease.

Imagine if they would have viewed me with contempt and chastised me for my ignorance and repeatedly proclaimed how superior they were to me?

How would I have ever learned the truth?

And if I never learned the truth, what would have happened to my daughter?

Responding to ignorance and arrogance with ignorance and arrogance is a lose-lose proposition.