Finger/hand flapping-like movements when excited

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 5:32 pm

It happened at my 21st birthday. :lol:
I even flapped my mom's hand for that cake I want yet never had tasted.

It's a rare occurrence to me. My fingers already got enough with it's fill with stimming via crafting. :twisted:

The normal part that one gets to flap their hands without being regarded as inappropriate in public?
One would mean something similar to a fan girl meeting her idol -- with behaviors of squealing, hand flapping, and perhaps jumping too. Or too nervous like suddenly picked to perform on stage on the spot as a 'honorary'. Or getting startled by the sudden sight of hordes of insects and while others sees it. It's also something that others would do the same -- kinda why people won't just judge.
Yes, that's "socially appropriate" under certain perhaps a bit more unique or extreme circumstances. It applies to variously from culture to culture of how or when it is appropriate. And it seems, it's acceptable generally when females do it for obvious social expectation related reasons.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 9:16 am

I occasionally do this when I'm excited, but more often when I'm stressed. Usually I like to keep this kind of behaviour private, but I have in the past acted this way when family members were present.

One time when I was talking to a friend online, my dad came in and told me that we had to leave soon, and I ended up flailing my arms about panicking "Aaaah! I'm not ready!"

Another time I got into an argument with my sister, and I ended up acting in a similar fashion.

When I came out to my parents, shortly after they left to run errands and go to work, I paced around my bed flapping my arms with thoughts just rushing through my head, mainly "I can't believe I just did that! Aaaaah!" thankfully it went fine though since they were accepting. :)

Nobody was in the house at that time, so it gave me some time to let my feelings out.

Sometimes when I'm excited for something, I'll go around the house running around and move my arms about in the air. Except if somebody comes in/ passes me, then I just try and act casual. :D

LilZebra
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Dec 2017, 5:32 pm

probably_abnormal wrote:
Does anyone else have this issue? I've had it since as far as I can remember (currently 27 years old). It's not a big deal, it's nothing like a repetitive tic, and it only really happens when I'm excited or elevated emotionally in some way.

No, but I see other Millennials (I'm a Gen X) bounce their leg up and down fast.

When I ask them what causes it, they give a "I don't know" kind of answer.

Last guy I saw the leg thing, a few days ago...Must have been about late 30s...said that he drinks coffee. When I asked further how much coffee he drinks? 3. I drink max of 2 a day. 3 if I'm having a bad day ... and I don't jiggle my legs like the Millennials do it.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 5:56 pm

LilZebra wrote:
probably_abnormal wrote:
Does anyone else have this issue? I've had it since as far as I can remember (currently 27 years old). It's not a big deal, it's nothing like a repetitive tic, and it only really happens when I'm excited or elevated emotionally in some way.

No, but I see other Millennials (I'm a Gen X) bounce their leg up and down fast.

When I ask them what causes it, they give a "I don't know" kind of answer.

Last guy I saw the leg thing, a few days ago...Must have been about late 30s...said that he drinks coffee. When I asked further how much coffee he drinks? 3. I drink max of 2 a day. 3 if I'm having a bad day ... and I don't jiggle my legs like the Millennials do it.

Well, it is a fairly common form of fidgeting. I certainly do it a lot if I've been sitting still for some time. However, coffee usually just makes me tired (which may sound odd, but it's all to do with metabolism and how your body processes things. My body processes the caffeine so fast, that it just skips to the crash in energy, and doesn't do the whole sudden buzz of it).

Last edited by Lost_dragon on 24 Dec 2017, 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 6:02 pm

I'm a hand flapper.
Also spread my fingers and twirl my wrists, because it feels good.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 6:37 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I'm a hand flapper.
Also spread my fingers and twirl my wrists, because it feels good.

I sometimes twirl string around my fingers, often when I'm thinking.

Surprisingly, it actually helps me focus as it's a rather mindless action that keeps me in the moment. If I'm struggling to order my thoughts because I have a lot on my mind, sometimes I get out a piece of string to keep myself partially occupied as I sit and think things over.

During lectures I sometimes get a thin hair scrunchie and strum it (especially if it's a boring lecture) so then I don't zone out.

If I don't have a scrunchie or any string, then I'll move my thumb in-between my fingers.

Last edited by Lost_dragon on 24 Dec 2017, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Dec 2017, 6:37 pm

I don't hand flap but I do a thing where I extend all of my fingers backwards over and over again when I'm stressed out. It's kind of the opposite of balling your hands into fists. I'm not sure if other people do this or not but it does make me feel better.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 6:39 pm

^ That's kind of what I do.
Stretch my fingers until they're almost backwards, then do the wrist roll.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 7:18 pm

I do so many stims using my hands. Flapping, shaking, twirling... Sometimes I put my hand in front of my eyes and either move my fingers or flap.

Goldenhawk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Dec 2017, 7:45 pm

I flap a bit, usually when I'm really stressed, but I try to only let go when I'm alone. I'll try and retreat to a private place and let loose. Most recently, I was really nervous about a job interview I was going to, so spent the minute riding in the elevator up to the interview alone rocking and flapping until the door opened. I wiggle my fingers as well which helps me think. I also snap/rub my fingers together while rotating my wrist when I'm struggling to express myself. My favourite stimm is taking the ends of my long hair and twirling it around my fingers and running it through them and then circling it around my mouth and over my lips.

When I'm excited I clap my hands together and jump up and down and sometimes have a little run around in a circle. Again I try and limit this in public as it's not socially acceptable.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 3:50 am

probably_abnormal wrote:

It's normal for Autistics and one of our many defining characteristics actually. I've been doing this since I was a kid and I'm 42 now. I usually flap my hands and then I rub my fingers against my thumb on my clothes. I only do this when I'm in public because being amongst NTs stresses me out quite a bit. Then I rock back and forth and rub the ends of my fingers against the side of my head as I'm rocking.

This usually ellicits quite a bit of staring from others but I've become used to it by now and it doesn't bother me anymore. But sometimes I worry that someone might say something or make fun of me. One time a child of 7 or 8 saw me and was only 2 feet away and pointed and stared at me and then got his parents attention who also stared at me. The five of them got quite a kick out of staring at me apparently.

Flap and rock away I say.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 3:54 am

I once growled at someone involuntarily when I was upset... it was embarrassing. I don't know if I've ever experienced hand-flapping myself but I do occasionally rock back n' forth. I also purr once in a blue moon when I'm relaxed and happy, though not on purpose.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 5:08 am

MariaTheFictionkin wrote:
I also purr once in a blue moon when I'm relaxed and happy, though not on purpose.

How do you do that :O

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 5:12 am

komamanga wrote:
MariaTheFictionkin wrote:
I also purr once in a blue moon when I'm relaxed and happy, though not on purpose.

How do you do that :O

It's a steady vibration in the back of my throat. I don't know how to explain it.

random person wrote:
You vibrate your tongue against the roof of your mouth as if you were making the sound of a motorboat, but you don’t make any noise with your larynx

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 6:13 pm

I meow and howl on the subways.

Goldenhawk

26 Dec 2017, 6:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I meow and howl on the subways.

I do something similar. I sometimes give a high pitched cat yowl when I'm acutely stressed or startled. I will also meow and "talk cat" to people sometimes - although I try and minimise it as much as possible in public. My husband jokes that I was raised by cats and sometimes can't tell the difference between me and our cats when we "talk" to each other. I can also purr just like a cat, but it hurts my throat to do it too often.

I remember meeting a lovely autistic elderly lady who talked cat to her carers. She and I had a wonderful conversation in cat - her carers thought I was nuts, but they did say it was the happiest they'd seen this lady in a while. When I left she was purring.