Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 5:14 pm

I always get anxious about eye appointments in general. I have a very weird glasses prescription that is easy to mess up. I've been obsessed with eyes and glasses for my whole life, so I know quite a bit about eyes.
My mom is into alternative medicine and a lot of it has worked well for me. One problem I have is that she believes that alternative medicine can reduce your glasses prescription. I don't believe that. I believe that it can make your eyes focus better, but that's about it. My eyes have been focusing better, but they still see fine with my glasses.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 6:21 pm

Along as they don't do that test anymore where they blow a puff air into your eye, I always hated that. I think that test is obsolete now and they don't have to do it like that anymore.

I have an appointment at the dentist this week, I'd be happy to trade you. :?

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 7:47 pm

the puff of air test checks the pressure of your eyeball if I recall correctly, and that can be important if you're in danger of glaucoma ? And there are other ways to do it but some are much more uncomfortable. So embrace the puff.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 10:54 pm

I always dislike going to eye appointments and get nervous about them. Good luck at yours! I hope it goes well and they get the prescription right. :)

I have a hard time with them photographing my eyes (it takes multiple tries but they usually get it) and the eye puff glaucoma test thing (which they can never get). I eventually asked about alternatives to the puff test since they had just been skipping it at my appointments, so now they do another test where they put drops in my eyes to numb them and then touch them with a special instrument. It doesn't hurt or feel like anything at all, it just looks like the doctor shines a dark blue light in your eyes. My doctor said that method was more accurate too but they normally do the puff test since it's quicker and simpler (for most people). I just thought I'd throw that out there for those of you who also don't like or can't tolerate the puff test. The alternative is a whole lot better!

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2014, 2:44 am

Funny. I like going to the optician. Though I guess that could be because my optician and his staff are very good; we get on well, and my eyes always tend to get slightly worse every couple of years, so getting an eye test helps to correct that. I like being able to see well :).

I've never had this puff of air test that you all mention.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 4:24 am

I know this is an old thread and a thread that belongs in another section, but I can attest that as of yesterday they still do the annoying "puff" test for glaucoma .

I hope your eye test went better then mine, because mine did not go well. They did find glaucoma plus several other weird things (like the eye does not move in the direction it is supposed to) happening on in my left eye.

Most people are nervous about seeing the doctor imagining they are going to find all sorts of weird diseases and we are particularly vulnerable to that because severe anxiety is co-morbid. Usually the anxiety there is no reason to until you get to my age group when they do start finding bad stuff

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman