Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 8:43 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
There's no difference between my "soul" and my "autism."

I am what I am, and I'm not "trapped" behind anything.

If I broke my arm, it would still be a part of my body. Ditto for "autism."

Sometimes I think autism is an evolution of a kind. Evolution doesn't stop. Maybe autism is an evolution of that what we can't measure yet.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 8:48 pm

I have a very strong spark in my mind in relation to my personality.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 8:51 pm

guzzle wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Sometimes I think autism is an evolution of a kind. Evolution doesn't stop. Maybe autism is an evolution of that what we can't measure yet.

The one thing I like about my autism and this board is that we can disagree without it getting personal.

We lack executive function and while regular people may seem shallow to us they have the ability to manage several things at once.

I don't think autism is evolution.

The fact that so many of us end up single and alone does not tally with the idea of evolution either.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 10:08 pm

sharkattack wrote:
guzzle wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

The one thing I like about my autism and this board is that we can disagree without it getting personal.

We lack executive function and while regular people may seem shallow to us they have the ability to manage several things at once.

I don't think autism is evolution.

The fact that so many of us end up single and alone does not tally with the idea of evolution either.

I've never been able to see the trees for the woods. I can only see the big picture, the details are lost on me. Not sure if I am on the spectrum or not but I am definitly not NT.

Evolution is not an overnight thing. I would imagine that the more complex that what is evolving the longer it would take.
Autism as a word has existed only since 1938, Aspergers came into mainstream as late as 1981 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism#History

We lost our tails, google don't give me a quick fix time span but if you look at other mammals the tail is crucial in the expression of emotion. Apes don't have tails but are very vocal just like humans. A horse has emotional control over it's ears so to speak. When they are flat down it is not because it is happy.
Is human society more complicated than that of apes? No idea but I'm pretty sure apes don't have to repress their emotions the way humans do. So on an evolutionary scale something got the bear the load I would imagine.

I am not single but it did take me 38 years to find Mr. Right and a lot of perseverance. From post read on these forums I believe there are many people on the spectrum that manage to have happy (or not so happy) relationships. My own is one of co-dependency. Somewhere I read once that they decided not to list co-dependency as a psychiatric conditions in DSM because it would be impossible to differentiate between a healthy co-dependency or an unhealthy one and overnight the majority of humans would be diagnosable with a psychiatric condition. In the case of me finding Mr. Right I met him shortly after I had decided that I would sit it out and wait. And I really meant it this time. To me it is all about learning from that what life throws at you. If you do it right it will sort itself out.

Maybe I see soul differently. In Chinese thought there are two types of soul, corporeal and ethereal. If you go into spiritual Taoism the are more souls. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hun_and_po

I'm waffling. here's a song 8)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9BtTrZdft8[/youtube]

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 1:38 am

AFAIK its a good idea to do mushrooms with a group of friends you trust.