Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 3:50 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93467kx3FTM[/youtube]

God Isn't Real by Robbie Fulks

A world filled with wonder, a cold, fathomless sky
A man's life so meager, he can but wonder why
He cries out to Heaven its truth to reveal
The answer: only silence, for God isn't real.

Go ask the starving millions under Stalin's cruel reign
Go ask the child with cancer who eases her pain
Then go to your churches, if that's how you feel...
But don't ask me to follow, for God isn't real.

He forms in his image a weak and foolish man
Speaks to him in symbols that few understand
For a life of devotion, the death blow he deals
We'd owe Him only hatred, but God isn't real.

Go tell the executioner of the power he can't defy
Go tell his shackled victim of the mercy on high...
Then go to your churches, go beg, pray, and kneel,
But don't ask me to follow, for God isn't real.

No, no matter how He should be, God isn't real.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Last edited by AspieOtaku on 01 Apr 2014, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 3:50 pm

Misslizard wrote:
You can't get something out of nothing.

You can, banks do it all the time! :lol: You've got no money (zero); they give you a loan of $10. You now have gone from zero to having money in your pocket and a debt at the bank.

Maths and physics do similar things. Virtual particles spring out of nothingness then disappear again unless something grabs one of them.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 3:52 pm

I don't see how a god has anything to do with it.They spend their time stirring up trouble between mortals,I think they are bored.Don't act happy or they may notice you.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 4:28 pm

Quote:

We don't really know that we are dealing with an initial nothing. Our visible universe can be just one bubble of a larger universe so the origin event isn't what we detect. Maybe there never was an origin. Or maybe there are sequential universes, each forming from the virtual particles mentioned above. And maybe the visible universe (currently ~92 billion LY across), or a larger unseen universe, is like a self contained globe as mentioned earlier. To paraphrase Stephen Hawking, "What is south of the south pole?"

Christians generally want to argue that the visible universe is the one and only universe. Non believers tend to prefer multiple universes. The recent evidence for inflation, if it holds up, suggests we may have a multiverse. With multiple universes you get multiple throws of the dice to generate the right universe for our kind of life. Otherwise this universe is awfully convenient for us. The argument comes down to the Fine Tuning Argument versus the Anthropic Principle. There are a few physicists who argue that we've already detected the evidence for other universes bumping into our own. They are waiting for the next round of data from the Planck spacecraft to see if more evidence is present.

There seems to be many possibilities.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 4:39 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

You can, banks do it all the time! :lol: You've got no money (zero); they give you a loan of $10. You now have gone from zero to having money in your pocket and a debt at the bank.

Maths and physics do similar things. Virtual particles spring out of nothingness then disappear again unless something grabs one of them.

But how can nothing spring out of something?How do we know it's nothingness?They have to be springing out of somewhere,like grass hoppers.There's none,then there's way too many.
Sorry,think of the particles as grasshoppers.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 4:55 pm

I think "something from nothing" comes from two sources: Christians who are intentionally confusing "we don't know" with "nothing". Or a scientist like Lawrence Kraus who likes to say "nothing" when I think he really means the virtual particles that emerge from something very much like nothing.... but still something. It's semantics to tweak theists. But Ive never read anything by him, I'm just assuming.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 5:15 pm

simon_says wrote:
I think "something from nothing" comes from two sources: Christians who are intentionally confusing "we don't know" with "nothing". Or a scientist like Lawrence Kraus who likes to say "nothing" when I think he really means the virtual particles that emerge from something very much like nothing.... but still something. It's semantics to tweak theists. But Ive never read anything by him, I'm just assuming.

There is a reason God says he is what is, what was, what will be ever...

I love using completely sacrilegious music to prove a theological point.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 8:36 pm

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Bezeone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2014, 9:49 pm

Yep.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 5:02 am

It is only the brains of human beings that conceptualize a God. I don't think a God exists in the brains of any creature other than human beings. Animals rationalize and "think" just as completely as human beings, just for different reasons, and at different levels. Only the brain of a human being is irrational enough to create the ambiguity that has come to be known as God. And only the irrational mind of a human being could create the infinite numbers of excuses that exist to accept the irrational and ambiguous concept of God as an actual reality.

Buttercup
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2014, 3:25 pm

So, I may be cursed for this?
God:
Has no parents. Who taught Him manners, politeness, or ethics?
He has no siblings and no peers.
He has lots of influence.
He has nearly unlimited resources (your free will is not his resource?)
He has been limited from "helping" here?
Oh! Could He be sociopathic? He has no genes for that!
So, He's not. He's Unfathomably Curious!
Why on earth do beings on the Matter Plane need souls?

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2014, 1:21 am

GinBlossoms wrote:
So I am doubting my faith in God. He's just a man in the sky with a complicated philosophy. Big deal. I'm sick of thinking about him finally. Why? He screwed the world over, especially since 9/11 (did he kill himself that day or go away or something?), a lot of bad things happened in the world. The afterlife Heaven is sometimes just as ridiculous as the afterlife of Hell. I want to go to neither. I'm told to be thankful, but how can I be thankful when we depend on a job market to survive (which craps now), our current administration in the White House (I wish we can make conservative ideas more popular again, they're only unpopular because people made them that way). Sometimes, I hate God, and I hate death. I'm very furious now. Why can't he make things go back to where they were after 9/11?

I recently experienced my own 'crisis of faith' when I started blaming God for all the 'bad karma' that has been happening to me lately.

"I love You, I worship You, I ask You to help me, so why the hell aren't You doing it? Are You ignoring me God? are You even up there, God? are You deaf or something? blind too, because You can't see what's going on?....God?....GOD, ANSWER ME, DAMMIT!! !"

So, my brother goes "you are in a deep crap-hole because you PUT yourself there and you're blaming everybody and everything else for it...sure, there may have been a few unlucky 'contributing factors', but overall aren't you doing exactly the same thing as those who have wronged you?"

Yeah, so where did all that unconditional devotion to my chosen deity go? where?

I am also asking God to help ME, so maybe if I prayed for and helped others, God would then care for me and start listening to me by default of His 'Grand Design' i.e 'good Karma erases bad Karma'.

I have only recently had my faith fully restored, after experiencing the darkest 'Night of the Soul' one could ever go through.

Here is a true story (I have no reason to misinform).

I am staying with my brother for a few days before I move on (if the current arrangements do not eventuate).

Two nights ago, I saw him setting up a mic in front of his PC and I asked out of curiosity 'what is that for?'

Apparently, he is getting too lazy to type stuff anymore and wants to access his PC and the internet purely through speech alone (Google already does this, but he doesn't want to type anything).

I asked him if he was using any Speech Recognition software like Dragon Dictate, and he said he had a copy of that floating around somewhere, but had to go and find it.

I remembered that I also used to own this and could even see what the product looked like in my mind...I held it there briefly.

The conversation didn't last long after that, before the topic was changed to something else...

Fast forward to the very next day (yesterday)...

Part of my agreement for my temporary stay, is that I have been given a list of daily chores to do and one of these, is to collect kindling wood from around their property for their fireplace.

I collected all of the small twigs I could find on the property, but there wasn't many at all...not enough for a few days even, so I decided to walk down the road a bit to the council park to see if I would have more luck finding branches and twigs there...

I went to the rear of the park where all of the big gum trees were, and started to forage around in the undergrowth, when I saw something shiny out of the corner of my eye about 5-6ft away...I instinctively went over to investigate...

Partially covered by dirt and leaf litter was an old, scrached CD...I cleaned it off, turned it over and read the label:

"Dragon Dictate"