Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 5:01 am

Hi guys,

I decided to make a VLOG and talk about my experiences with AS, both when I was undiagnosed and post-diagnosis.

VLOG LINK

Maybe some of you can relate?

iammaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Mar 2014, 8:51 am

it was cool. thanks for the link. i dont know if i have a youtube account so i couldnt leave a comment there. but it was interesting and brave of you to share.

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 8:56 am

Just thought I'd comment saying I'm watching now :) Will edit/post when I've finished.

EDIT: You remind me a lot of myself, with your wording and such. Your little ramblings, tone of voice, words I emphasis on or lengthen, and obsessions with online games and micro transactions.
I have spent more money than I'd like to admit on a virtual world thing called PlayStation Home. I recently went back to it and spent £5 and was like WOOOOPS I CANNOT GET BACK INTO SPENDING ALL MY MONEY ON THIS.
As far as jobs go, I've not had the same problem as you. I did however find work hard, and broke down, and have tried to get myself prepared to go back to work ever since, but when doing these tests and interviews, I didn't do badly. My parents helped me fill in these tests online though, so I guess that helped, otherwise I probably would have answered wrongly.

What game is that you were playing? It looks cute.

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

Alyosha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Mar 2014, 9:43 am

I cannot really relate to most of it mostly because I was diagnosed young and I don't really think I'm on the same part of the spectrum as you (in person if people know even the slightest bit about autism they know I'm autistic, or if they don't they think I'm intellectually disabled).

That said well done for putting yourself out there. And also I appreciate a lot that unlike some people I've heard/watched with some things you don't present it like 'THIS IS AUTISM', more of a 'this is my autism/what autism is like for me' which is a very important thing I think to say. Also I really appreciate you not doing the thing I see a lot of self-described high functioning people doing which is like 'I'm not like *those* people/don't associate me with *those awful beasts* (I was bullied quite heavily in a special needs class by a kid with AS who thought he was better than the rest of us and shouldn't have been there. I empathise with the guy though, because it wasn't much fun for the rest of us either being treated like we were less than human, but it still didn't really excuse his behaviour I don't think)

(although I must say I'm not sure I agree with functioning labels as a thing they tend to tell the 'high' functioning people to just get over it, and the 'low' functioning people that they're completely beyond help)

Edited to add:
It might just be that I'm in a really fragile place at the moment, but I listened to your adventure time 'I'm just your problem' cover and I cried.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 12:10 pm

Alyosha wrote:
I cannot really relate to most of it mostly because I was diagnosed young and I don't really think I'm on the same part of the spectrum as you (in person if people know even the slightest bit about autism they know I'm autistic, or if they don't they think I'm intellectually disabled).

That said well done for putting yourself out there. And also I appreciate a lot that unlike some people I've heard/watched with some things you don't present it like 'THIS IS AUTISM', more of a 'this is my autism/what autism is like for me' which is a very important thing I think to say. Also I really appreciate you not doing the thing I see a lot of self-described high functioning people doing which is like 'I'm not like *those* people/don't associate me with *those awful beasts* (I was bullied quite heavily in a special needs class by a kid with AS who thought he was better than the rest of us and shouldn't have been there. I empathise with the guy though, because it wasn't much fun for the rest of us either being treated like we were less than human, but it still didn't really excuse his behaviour I don't think)

(although I must say I'm not sure I agree with functioning labels as a thing they tend to tell the 'high' functioning people to just get over it, and the 'low' functioning people that they're completely beyond help)

Edited to add:
It might just be that I'm in a really fragile place at the moment, but I listened to your adventure time 'I'm just your problem' cover and I cried.

I can understand the issue with the "functioning" label - but it's the current technical terminology, right?

I cry all the time listening to music, that's part of what makes me choose to play one piece over another.

Alyosha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Mar 2014, 9:28 pm

TheOddGoat wrote:
I can understand the issue with the "functioning" label - but it's the current technical terminology, right?

I cry all the time listening to music, that's part of what makes me choose to play one piece over another.

Yeah, but 'idiot', 'moron' and 'imbecile' used to be current technical terminology and that doesn't mean that it was a right/good/nice way to think about or classify people. I think we should be critical of the terminology we use especially as autistic people/people with autism (which ever you prefer, I prefer autistic person).

I don't really cry often about anything. Music makes me feel a lot of things, but actual crying is rare for me.