Billionaires think we're jealous? Gag me with a silver spoon

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 12:15 pm

Interesting critique of the elite's perception of the 99 percent.
http://www.alternet.org/economy/billion ... lver-spoon

Alternet wrote:
Change your tune, plutocrats. Contrary to your fantasies, we're plagued by reality, not envy.

Yup. My sentiments precisely.

My deviant art profile

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 12:21 pm

I have no desire to be a billionaire, or even a millionaire. I just want enough to live comfortably. Hell, if I somehow managed to find myself in wealth I'd probably end up giving most of it away. I'd like around, I don't know, 50K a year. I don't think I'd need any more than that, personally.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 12:37 pm

heh. Somebody just posted this on facebook, thought it summed it up pretty eloquently.

My deviant art profile

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 2:04 pm

A minimalist life is more satisfying than anything a life as a 1%'er can provide. I have every material thing I could want or desire living on a simple disability check. I am not jealous of any 1%'er lifestyle. To the contrary, I think the 1%er is jealous of my simple life. No one is jealous of a 1%'er, people just want the 1% to respect us and stop behaving as if we are inferior because we do not have their house full of meaningless CRAP. I have seen these people on TV saying that they are the hardest working segment of American society. Really, sitting behind your desk with 20 assistants you work harder than the guy who picks up your garbage at 4am? Or harder than the guy who walks steel beams 400 feet in the air to build the structure you use to sit on your caboose behind a desk all day. Really?

No, people are not jealous of the 1%. People are fed up with being used by the 1% then discarded like an empty pizza box and disrespected by your lip service while you hide behind iron gates and body guards living an elitist lifestyle while calling those who call you out for your hypocrisy "elitists."

And no, my simple disability check is not an "entitlement". I am not being subsidized by you. I worked from the age of 13 until I became disabled, working over 40 years. I earned everything I have, and I earned my disability check. It is all I need. Stop lying and accusing me of taking money from your pocket and stop trying to take away what I have earned. I worked and sweated for everything I have.

That's my response to the 1% who think I am jealous of them. Stop trying to rob me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 2:45 pm

Goes to show you, there are people everywhere who want to see themselves as the victim - even among the super rich.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 3:05 pm

Projection - people like that are envious of every last bit of money anyone else has.

What in the hell do you do with all that money? Boggles my mind. I think there's a good level of income where you don't have to worry about stuff. That level of income should be the minimum.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.