Anyone have problems sticking to an exercise routine?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

TheMighty_Moo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2014, 1:37 pm

So I'm 16 and I've been thinking of going to the gym every week and actually work-out for an hour or so. But, well, I don't. I go once but then I just stop. It might be laziness, it might be the fact that I'm too busy to go anywhere or both, but I really don't think I'm going to have enough motivation to get "fit" any time soon. I'm just tired, man. I don't know what to do, really.
Does anyone else have problems with this?

Moo approves!

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 2:00 pm

Once a week for an hour is not frequent enough and perhaps too long.

You might be better to find something simple/entry level that takes 15-20 minutes that you can do most every day.

Force yourself to stick with it for a full month, and you may make going to work out a habit you can stick with.

Studies say it takes 30 days to form a new good habit, but it only takes seven days to break ourselves from a good habit.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 2:20 pm

Why are you going to a gym? I would have trouble getting motivated to go spend time in a place filled with strangers, too. A decent weight bench is not that expensive, you can find those and virtually unused treadmills at garage sales for a song. Same with workout videos with ab routines on them, you probably know people who have one in a closet they don't use.

I started out exercising in my garage, bought a couple of Schwarzenegger books on weightlifting to learn technique, so I wouldn't hurt myself. I live in a small apartment now and my weight bench and treadmill are in the space where a dining table would normally be, so I can see the television while I work out.

If you spend 30 to 90 minutes a day on it for four weeks, you won't want to stop, because you'll be able to see the results in the mirror. At that point, it transitions very easily into an obsessive interest routine. I've been doing it daily for over 20 years - now I feel agitated and guilty if I have to miss a day.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 7:26 pm

doing something everyday will help it stick better. i always must do 1 hour of walking a day.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 7:39 pm

I started exercising after dropping out of college. I was 18 at the time and ~ 50 lbs overweight. My Grandfather had an old exercise bike in storage that I started to ride every day for 30 minutes. It became an obsession. Fast forward 30+ years, and I continue to exercise every day. It's probably the one thing that keeps me sane.

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2014, 9:38 am

i do Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 and just use the stronglifts app to keep track of the big lifts as for the accessory lifts i go by feel its so easy to follow and progress

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Apr 2014, 12:05 pm

You have to really want to do it, if you're going to stick to it. Probably the biggest reason I know of, for people to stop going, or to quit working out, is that they don't see and feel results fast enough. You have to be OK with knowing you're doing the right thing, and let that motivate you to keep it up. Then the results will just come.

Charles

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 12:17 pm

kx250rider wrote:
You have to really want to do it, if you're going to stick to it. Probably the biggest reason I know of, for people to stop going, or to quit working out, is that they don't see and feel results fast enough. You have to be OK with knowing you're doing the right thing, and let that motivate you to keep it up. Then the results will just come.

The "edge" we have with establishing (and maintaining) an exercise regimen is our obsessive nature. Once it becomes part of your daily routine, you won't stop doing it. Likewise, it does wonders for anxiety. It really is a wonder drug.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 2:44 pm

Willard wrote:
Why are you going to a gym? I would have trouble getting motivated to go spend time in a place filled with strangers, too.

I thought the same, but you'd be amazed how much the act of getting to the gym motivates you to work out. It's easy to cop out of doing your exercises at home and do something else. Getting dressed and going to the gym is an affirmative action you take to do something. It's harder to change your mind once you get there.

Also, paying for a membership should motivate you to go and use it. Although a lot of gyms do make money off of those who join and stop coming after a couple of months.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 8:40 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:
doing something everyday will help it stick better.

This. Also, if you hate it, it will never stick. If you want to do long-term exercise, you need to find something that you enjoy.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 9:10 pm

TheMighty_Moo wrote:
So I'm 16 and I've been thinking of going to the gym every week and actually work-out for an hour or so. But, well, I don't. I go once but then I just stop. It might be laziness, it might be the fact that I'm too busy to go anywhere or both, but I really don't think I'm going to have enough motivation to get "fit" any time soon. I'm just tired, man. I don't know what to do, really.
Does anyone else have problems with this?

Work on you diet; a good diet is the cornerstone in any impressive physique. Be sure to eat enough proteins, and get the nutrients and vitamins you need (hint: the egg yolk contains all nutrients and vitamins apart from C vitamins).

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 10:04 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
Also, if you hate it, it will never stick. If you want to do long-term exercise, you need to find something that you enjoy.

^ This.

It's no good if you have to force yourself, you will just keep coming up with excuses not to go. You are too busy, or too tired. Your brain does things like that to you.

There are so many different activities out there. Find something you actually enjoy and look forward to, and you will find it much easier to stick with.

Ioini
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2014, 3:44 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
kx250rider wrote:

The "edge" we have with establishing (and maintaining) an exercise regimen is our obsessive nature. Once it becomes part of your daily routine, you won't stop doing it. Likewise, it does wonders for anxiety. It really is a wonder drug.

Yeah that's why I either workout at home (doing cardio/weight lifting etc). It really is a wonder drug that's for sure!

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

06 Apr 2014, 1:41 pm

I have just started to go to the gym and the plan is to go there twice a week or so. I don't think I am able to stick to that routine but the least I can do is take my exercise routine serious and do my best this time, which is actually a small miracle because I have never managed to do that before.

The only thing I'm sure of is the fact that I do not see physical exercise as a drug. Drugs are supposed to give you temporary pleasure and sports don't tend to have that effect on me. On the contrary!

Huckster
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Apr 2014, 12:02 pm

My gym makes me sign up in advance to classes - then will automatically put them with a reminder in my smartphone diary! That has had a really good effect on going along. And sitting in a spin class or standing in a circuit class is just fine - I don't have to talk, negotiate, or anything. I just listen to the music and do what I'm told!