Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 2:52 pm

I bought and read "Business for Aspies" last year and my wife was looking at today and making all sorts of noises as if parts were striking her with particular intensity. I said that I thought the book was basically about the author's husband who wasn't much like me.

"some of this is just like you"

I did not expect that. I don't see myself that way. More evidence of my cluelessness about self and others, I guess.

"these traits are in you, your mother and our children."

I feel like I should buy flowers and apologize or something. :(

I try to be affectionate and supportive, but apparently this doesn't always come across as I intend.

MissQ
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2014, 9:52 pm

Quote:

:lol: (I'm sorry, but that made me laugh)
I haven't read that book yet...
What was the tone of her voice? Was it just an acknowledgement, or was it an accusation? Either way, you shouldn't have to apologize for who you are.

...just wondering, have you had any fantasies about living alone?
(just a joke about another recent thread) :clown:

AQ: 46

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 12:38 pm

Adamantium wrote:
I bought and read "Business for Aspies" last year and my wife was looking at today and making all sorts of noises as if parts were striking her with particular intensity. I said that I thought the book was basically about the author's husband who wasn't much like me.

I did not expect that. I don't see myself that way. More evidence of my cluelessness about self and others, I guess.

"these traits are in you, your mother and our children."

I try to be affectionate and supportive, but apparently this doesn't always come across as I intend.

I only discovered my ASD about 3 years ago (70+ now) and since then I've been doing a lot of introspection. (Big surprise, right? :D )

But as I go along (trying to be honest with myself) I find more and more things I believed for most of my life, about myself, are not true.

These were intellectual, social and physical ideas I thought applied to me, but found many not true (the truth hurts some times). I'll not
mention specifics because I believe everyone has their own list. This suddenly explained (for me) some of the gaps in understanding
I grew up with. And, oddly enough, this new information has not turned out as depressing because of the illuminating nature of my
exploration. It helps answer 60+ year old questions still lingering. It helps me become a whole person.

denny

Ratsenol
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Apr 2014, 5:15 pm

My 8 year old son was just diagnosed, and during the testing, my wife initially kept saying the exact same thing. The more we started reading about it, the more we both began to realize that all of the symptoms/traits described me. At the end of the testing and interviews, the psychologist said that I "appear to be on the spectrum", so I am awaiting my turn for an official diagnosis.

Reading and hearing about the experiences of others has really helped put things into perspective for me. I too found some truths about myself that I was unaware of, but just like ZenDen said, I'm finding it to be very illuminating, and it's answering a lot of questions I had about myself. It's amazing the way the pieces just fall into place, and you suddenly go "Aha! That explains so much!"