I Hate Chess Titans (the Windows chess game)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

DukeNukem2417
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2014, 4:30 pm

So, I'm not an experienced chess player or anything---I'm no grandmaster in the making, believe me---but I do have a semi-casual interest in it, holding over from when I started chess club in High School. I used to play the old Chessmaster games on my Windows 9x machines, and they were fun, so I was pretty excited to find out that Windows Vista and Windows 7 have their own chess game built in, Chess Titans.

These days, that excitement is more along the lines of "this chess engine CHEATS".

I sincerely think that whoever programmed Chess Titans has one hell of a mean streak---on the SECOND DIFFICULTY (the one right above easy), I can barely win a game without using the "undo move" function, which basically defeats the purpose of chess. I've managed to win fairly on the lowest difficulty, but anything above, and I end up closing the game via Task Manager so it doesn't count as a loss.

Seriously, I HATE Chess Titans.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 5:06 pm

I don't get it. Why do people play games that they hate? Most if not all games I've played have moments of frustration or annoyance, but that doesn't mean I hate them.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 5:59 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I don't get it. Why do people play games that they hate?

Duke's not saying he hates chess, just that the game program he's using is driving him nuts.

I've been having the same experience with a freeware program called 'Arena Chess,' except that I can't find any control to let me adjust it to an easier level and it destroys me every time. In three moves, I'm suddenly on the defensive and don't even get a chance to deploy my pieces before it kicks my ass. Doh!

I know I'm a less than mediocre player, though I do enjoy the challenge of the game - but damn, give me a fighting chance, for gods' sakes! Let me at least believe that I might win one once in a while, it takes all the fun out of trying when you're facing a Kobayashi Maru and you know you can't win no matter what you do. No wonder Kirk cheated. :evil:

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Mar 2014, 7:21 pm

I once defeated a computer at a chess game by getting mad and giving it my queen. It was stunned. Not programmed for sacrifice of queen. It paused a long time. Then it made a row of exclamation marks. Then it began moving at random, so I went on to check-mate! :lol:

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 7:47 pm

The Windows XP version of Chess Titans is easy to beat, as long as I focus on the moves I'm making. Guess they made it more difficult.

wbport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Mar 2014, 8:41 pm

I am doing about 97% at level 5 and probably should move up a level. My problem with it is that it doesn't record games.

Skribbz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Mar 2014, 3:14 pm

I can't even beat it at the easiest difficulty. I'm not great at chess or anything, but you'd think I could pull off a win once in a while on easy.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 3:59 am

Apparently there is a set series of moves you HAVE to make to beat the computer on Chess Titans. I've played it a few times, but I've never done well at it.