Ad Blocker/Plus doesn't block YouTube ads anymore :(

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

MrOddBall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2014, 9:14 pm

Yeah, and now I'm going to use that site less and less now :( f**k you Google! If start page wasn't bad for finding music and crap, I'd dump your pathetic asses !

Before anyone tells me something like "Oh stop taking it so personally and get over it!", yes, I do take it more personally than I should because I really hate having stupid effing ads that I'm not really interested in due to living in semi-poverty forcefully shoved down my throat! Ugh!

Does anyone know if Ad Blocker/plus fixed this issue yet or if we're all SOL (s**t out of luck) due to legal issues ? I don't see it becoming a law to have ads shoved down your throats but Google would do something about blocking them because it makes the company lots and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$ :/

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2014, 9:36 pm

Chill. We aren't entitled to use the internet without advertisements. If it weren't for ads, you'd either be paying for youtube or not using it at all. That's how most free sites make their money. Realizing that you're taking this too personally doesn't give you an excuse to ignore reason and take it personally anyway.

For what it's worth though, I haven't been seeing any adds (ABP on FF 27.0.1). I would imagine you can find another add-on that will block youtube ads. I know there's something for blocking comments (actually I think it let you mess around with youtube's layout quite a bit), but I forget what it's called now.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 10:22 pm

Still works fine for me. Granted, I have additional lists set up (EasyList, Malware Domains, Fanboy's Social Blocking List, and EasyPrivacy), and I also have "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" disabled.

And yes, I know that ads serve a purpose online, but frankly, I never buy anything I see in online ads anyhow, and after a few bad experiences I've had with the banner ads on DeviantART downloading malware to my machine, I've basically sworn never to support online advertisers.

Tsproggy
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2014, 10:30 pm

Look into editing your hosts file to block ads as well, works like a charm.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 11:18 pm

You can click past most of the ads after 5 seconds anyways...

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

MrOddBall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2014, 10:53 pm

I really don't mind the popups or the side advertisements ( I don't know how to enable them in AdBlocker or Plus) but the video ads are a pain.

YouTube might as well become a streaming entertainment service for television because it's not far behind from becoming a television network company. All they need to do is buy a few entertainment company rights to their material and voila, f*****g television !

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

28 Mar 2014, 6:04 am

Can you provide a YouTube URL which demonstrates any of these ads in action?
I don't make much use of YouTube, but what use I have made doesn't appear to show any ads - so I'd like to know if that's because my blocking is effective or if I've simply not been exposed to any.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 3:16 pm

Tsproggy wrote:
Look into editing your hosts file to block ads as well, works like a charm.

but you'd have to do thousands of them one by one....it works but what a PITA!

MrOddBall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Mar 2014, 11:52 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Can you provide a YouTube URL which demonstrates any of these ads in action?
I don't make much use of YouTube, but what use I have made doesn't appear to show any ads - so I'd like to know if that's because my blocking is effective or if I've simply not been exposed to any.

There's not really a link I could post that shows these ads as it happens randomly :/ For a while I've even had forgotten that there were annoying video ads that play before the video you want to watch plays ...

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

30 Mar 2014, 5:57 am

Ah, Ok.
I'll carry on making little use of it, I think. :wink:

sueinphilly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2014, 6:08 pm

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... kkbiglidom

this adblock is not the same thing as Adblock plus

I love this extension.

When I'm watching a tv show online (say the Daily Show on Comedy Central) it blocks all the ads between segments. Even if I'm using my Google Chromecast to watch it on TV

I wish I could use extensions on my Nexus 7 :-(

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 8:01 am

Keep in mind that AdBlocker is designed to stop unwanted ads frequently attached to web sites (e.g., pop ups). It has NEVER stopped ads placed on the site itself.

Youtube changed it's format. If you block it's ads, you can't see the content. This was blocked at first, but apparently since it's required to use Youtube, AdBlocker updated it's functionality to let people use Youtube without having the constantly allow the ads.

Your issue is with Youtube, not AdBlocker.

Hulu is the same way.

sueinphilly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Apr 2014, 8:35 am

adblock definitely blocks ads that are on websites. Adblock Plus is a completely different product

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-s ... ads-2013-8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdBlock

fwiw Adblock block ads that are on wrongplanet

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 6:12 pm

I watch YouTube without ads and I use adblock plus. The ads are there when I watch catch up on ITV Hub. But those are irrelevant and to be ad fee that involves paying so fair enough on that one.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 10:52 am

If you can find a YouTube downloader that works, you'll get a clean ad-free version.