Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 10:49 pm

I was pleasantly surprised when I was watching this. I did not actually expect any of the kids to like them at all, but most of them knew who Nirvana were, and many of them actually showed a decent amount of appreciation for them. :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGPbHUZQ-VE[/youtube]

I hope that teens 20 years from now will still enjoy Nirvana the way they do today, and the way they did 20 years ago. ^^

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 11:04 pm

the current musical generation is very "multicultural." TBH its because of piracy: You used to have finite money to spend on records/cd's so you had to be selective with your music, now you can just have 15000 tracks in a playlist basically for free.

Also, if you are in the rock scene it can be hard to find a good radio station and they tend to play diverse selections. Everything else is rap (which I'm not fond of but a lot of people pay attention to both)

You are very likely an Aspie

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 11:11 pm

buffinator wrote:
the current musical generation is very "multicultural." TBH its because of piracy: You used to have finite money to spend on records/cd's so you had to be selective with your music, now you can just have 15000 tracks in a playlist basically for free.

Also, if you are in the rock scene it can be hard to find a good radio station and they tend to play diverse selections. Everything else is rap (which I'm not fond of but a lot of people pay attention to both)

I won't deny, piracy has helped me discover a lot of awesome and obscure music that I would have never heard of otherwise. A lot of people don't realize it, but 99% of the time, when you're listening to some random song on YouTube, odds are it's a pirated upload not endorsed by the artists or record labels in question. ;)

With Nirvana, I believe first heard their music when I was 10, on a mixtape we listened to all the time in my dad's truck. I liked what I heard, but I didn't really get "into" them until a few years later when my dad decided to buy a new computer, and I made a backup of all the stuff on his old machine. Among those backups was a fairly sizable MP3 folder, which included a lot of stuff from Nirvana and Rammstein. :D

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Mar 2014, 8:25 am

That poor child who only just noticed that Holy Grail samples Smells Like Teen Spirit...

But yeah, I'm surprised that you're surprised. Nirvana are pretty much the first band a lot of teenagers get into.

TheHermit
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2014, 2:36 pm

Kids these days,

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 11:00 pm

TheHermit wrote:
Kids these days,

I have no idea who the chick on the left is. :P

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 11:24 pm

Me either.

DukeJanTheGrey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Apr 2014, 6:42 pm

But do they know who Green River, The Melvins, Gruntruck or Tad are 'nevermind' appreciate them? I'll still be listening to God's Balls and Gluey Porch Treatments in 20 years given i am still alive and i don't even really like grunge.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 11:47 pm

DukeJanTheGrey wrote:
But do they know who Green River, The Melvins, Gruntruck or Tad are 'nevermind' appreciate them? I'll still be listening to God's Balls and Gluey Porch Treatments in 20 years given i am still alive and i don't even really like grunge.

I've heard of The Melvins, never really sat down and listened to them though. I know that they were an influence on Nirvana, however.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 12:48 am

TheHermit wrote:
Kids these days,

Whatevs. People are going to like what they like and there is nothing wrong with you if you don't like Nirvana. I personally don't like Nirvana not because I am too young, but because I am normally preoccupied with much "stuffier" music like Bach or avante garde composers. Hoping people will appreciate the music that you did at some point in the future is just that, a wishful and probably irrational hope. I could go around thinking that people who are only interested in pop music are "everything wrong with the world" or I could just separate some more wheat from the chaff. Haydn, Salieri, Buxtehude, Dittersdorf and Mozart didn't write music in a vacuum after all. I'm sure there was just as much substance lacking crap around back then. Mozart even made a piece entitled A Musical Joke to parody the terrible music being made during his time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFPoRmsiFzc[/youtube]

Yes, the trumpets are indeed supposed to sound like farts. I bet a lot of you weren't expecting that from Mozart, especially the last chord.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 1:36 am

The_Walrus wrote:
That poor child who only just noticed that Holy Grail samples Smells Like Teen Spirit...

But yeah, I'm surprised that you're surprised. Nirvana are pretty much the first band a lot of teenagers get into.

Around here, most teenagers and young adults are into rap, dubstep, pop, or just whatever other random crap their friends tell them to listen to. Not to say that Nirvana aren't popular, but generally it's only the "rock" kids who get into them, and the "rock" kids around here are a minority.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 5:27 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Around here, most teenagers and young adults are into rap, dubstep, pop, or just whatever other random crap their friends tell them to listen to. Not to say that Nirvana aren't popular, but generally it's only the "rock" kids who get into them, and the "rock" kids around here are a minority.

Let's face it, most young folks aren't interested in getting into music for the purpose of understanding and internalizing art, they just enjoy it. And there is nothing wrong with that, however disappointing it is that so many people don't appreciate the deep historical, theoretical, and philosophical roots of music. People have been commenting on their times using music for quite a while now, and lots of folks can only get out of that that "it isn't my time so it doesn't matter". For whatever reason rock is on the fringe now and not "their time". To be honest, since about five years ago I've had some trouble finding anything substantial in rock, which may very well be my own fault. I've heard that there are some new things going on in fringe genres like symphonic metal, however, death metal, speed metal, alternative rock, and a few other rock genres in my opinion are played out now and lack creativity. It feels like you've heard every song and the lyrics are going to be the same sophistic swill.

Now I don't mean to sound old but so much of modern rock just doesn't do it for me like stuff in the 60s to 80s did. And I say that because fusion bands were much more successful and popular back then. I don't see anything out there nearly as groundbreaking as led zep, jimi hendrix, grateful dead, metallica, etc. any more just fusion bands that find themselves on the fringe. Back in my day the blues had a seriously healthy connection to rock and bands like metallica didn't just use acoustic intros to metal pieces but they utilized acoustics all throughout sometimes. I'm sure people are continuing to be inventive like led zep but I certainly don't see them getting both the general and critical acclaim that such bands did in the past, and that's a little sad. It feels to me like the consumers themselves are stagnating the art and confining the artists to strict genres. It used to be that if you wrote something in the metal genre, for example, you didn't have to focus on producing much of the same sound every song (like "we're a thrash band like gorguts" or "we always play at a fast tempo").

Ioini
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2014, 6:09 pm

Glad that some of the younger generation actually know or listen to Nirvana.

Grunge is one of my personal favorite rock genres out there and this band is the reason why.

SecretSoul
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Apr 2014, 8:52 am

This is awesome! Glad to see some of our generation stuck with the new one.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 5:29 pm

DukeJanTheGrey wrote:
But do they know who Green River, The Melvins, Gruntruck or Tad are 'nevermind' appreciate them? .

Probably not. I got clued in to them by Nirvana themselves who mentioned them constantly in their interviews. But I am old enough to have been in my 20's when Nevermind was released. They are a degree removed from Nirvana and never gained widespread fame so there is no particular reason for a teen to have even heard of them unless they have gone very far down the specific rabbit hole of 80's Seattle bands. The internet makes that possible for teens but doesn't make it likely.

I hadn't even realized that 20 years had passed since Cobain killed himself until all the anniversary hoopla. Time does fly.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 6:33 pm

I never liked Green River since I first heard them in 1986. Never really liked Tad either, though Melvins are cool. The whole Seattle 'Grunge' thing actually happened between 1987 and 1991, with the peak period being between 1989 and 1991. After 'Nevermind' came out, the whole Seattle thing became cliched due to the fact that every a**hole whole was in a band thought that they could move to Seattle and make it big.

I never really liked all of the 'me-too' bands that signed to majors after Nirvana made it big. Odd how Stone Temple Pilots,-- a band that started out as a joke band became a big money maker playing formulaic music.

Mudhoney OTOH still makes decent music, but other local and semi local bands worth listening to that contributed heavily to the sound of 'Grunge' music are worth checking out. Namely, The Wipers, Napalm Beach, Flipper, Poison Idea, The Dicks, DOA, and The Subhumans(BC, not UK) and Sadonation.