Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 12:06 am

Now that there are two threads on fictional villains, which fictional heroes do you think are very good, and why?

Davos.

In my opinion, Davos is the least morally ambiguous major character in ASOIAF. The above picture nicely illustrates what is good about him. He deftly walks the line between loyalty to the King, and opposition to the cult which the King has adopted; which is itself a manifestation of Davos' loyalty, as well as his moral repugnance at the cult and its deeds.

Jaime Lannister (Post dis-arming)
When a bloodless option exists that produces the desired results, Jaime is wise enough to see it, and he will give that option to his enemies. Jaime will be vicious only when he has no other viable option, and he would prefer not to be. These traits make him a superior ruler, in my opinion, to Ned, Stannis, Danaerys and Roose Bolton; from utilitarian, and realm stability (good for avoiding war) perspectives.

Picard.
I was thinking recently about Picard's interest in archaeology, and how this suggests that he is a skilled diplomat partly because, for him, diplomacy isn't just a means to an end, but is part of his sincere interest in, and respect for different cultures and perspectives. I only find TV Picard impressive; movie Picard is an idiot.

Last edited by Stannis on 28 Mar 2014, 7:36 am, edited 26 times in total.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 8:07 am

Felix from John Steakley's novel Armor. His forced Stoicism and will to survive when others couldn't or didn't made me like him.

Mechani-Cal from Jim Bernheimer's novel Confessions of a D-List Supervillain. He started out a villain, but ended up saving the world. That's not what sold me. It was when he helped out Imagination Larry, not once, but twice in the book.

Harman in Dan Simmon's duology, Illium and Olympos. It was when he called Moira and Prospero and the Post-Humans, stupid for doing very stupid things, and f*****g everything up, and all they could come back with is a remark on how the old-style humans like him are too immature to understand despite the fact that they really did f**k everything up.

Deadpool, because, well, he's Deadpool.

Jetboy from George R. R. Martin's Wildcard Series. His story was the second story in Wildcards I -- Thirty Minutes Over Broadway! by Howard Waldrop. He was, I feel, the best hero, out of all of the heroes in the universe, never getting powers, and dying in his attempt to stop the release of the wildcard virus.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

luanqibazao
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 12:07 pm

Sherlock Holmes. A hero who uses the power of his mind to solve mysteries. The model for all fictional detectives since. (The stories are better than any movie or TV portrayal.)

Horatio Hornblower. Sea captain gets into impossible situations, gets out of them with skill and ingenuity. 

James Bond. The Ian Fleming books are much better than the movies. 

Howard Roark (The Fountainhead). A creative individualist as hero. This book changed my life. 

James T. Kirk. Gene Roddenberry once called Star Trek "Hornblower in space."

Both Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin. A twofer in the same book series, a Hornblower-type captain, only much deeper and more nuanced, plus an intrepid naturalist and spy. 

Michael Westen(Burn Notice). An American James Bond.