Child-kidnapping excused for ''Cultural differences''.

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 11:49 pm

Stannis wrote:
Yes.

Your posting history would suggest otherwise, but whatever.

Stannis wrote:
Dismissing a story is not the same thing as 'deciding on the accuracy' of a story. I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I dismissed the story because it came from a disreputable source. That does not mean that I made a judgement about whether or not it happened.

In either case, more investigation is required than looking at the masthead of the publication, even tabloids occasionally break real stories, much to the chagrin of the people who dismissed them based purely on the source. In this case, the meat of the story did in fact happen, the problem is the "color commentary" provided by the linked website attempting to use the incident to support a repugnant worldview.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 11:55 pm

starvingartist wrote:
dox47, i think perhaps your personal issues with me are clouding your own critical thinking abilities.

Clearly, you've not spent much time in the PPR section, as this is how I treat all posters who make comments like yours, you'd know if I had a personal issue with you. Further, you're the one being childish in the other thread trying to annoy me in a clearly personal manner, which makes this yet another hypocritical statement from you, establishing a bit of a pattern.

starvingartist wrote:
i did not "dismiss the speaker" (whatever that means) because of their political affiliation. i dismissed the story because the source was blatantly biased and chose to explicitly state that bias in their website masthead for all to see. and i'm not just talking about a little bit left or a little bit right. i think i already pointed it out but i will again, the website masthead states: "Inside Every Liberal Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out."

None of which could definitively tell you that the site is wrong, hence the hypocrisy in you making such a declaration while lecturing another poster about the critical thinking skills you so clearly lack.

starvingartist wrote:
i got the impression from the not-at-all-subtle masthead that i was actually being told that as a liberal i wasn't welcome to the site at all. why should i "attempt to engage" with a "news source" that is quite obviously telling me that it has no interest in "engaging" with me?

Because you want to be intellectually honest?

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 12:05 am

Dox47 wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
dox47, i think perhaps your personal issues with me are clouding your own critical thinking abilities.

Clearly, you've not spent much time in the PPR section, as this is how I treat all posters who make comments like yours, you'd know if I had a personal issue with you. Further, you're the one being childish in the other thread trying to annoy me in a clearly personal manner, which makes this yet another hypocritical statement from you, establishing a bit of a pattern.

starvingartist wrote:
i did not "dismiss the speaker" (whatever that means) because of their political affiliation. i dismissed the story because the source was blatantly biased and chose to explicitly state that bias in their website masthead for all to see. and i'm not just talking about a little bit left or a little bit right. i think i already pointed it out but i will again, the website masthead states: "Inside Every Liberal Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out."

None of which could definitively tell you that the site is wrong, hence the hypocrisy in you making such a declaration while lecturing another poster about the critical thinking skills you so clearly lack.

starvingartist wrote:
i got the impression from the not-at-all-subtle masthead that i was actually being told that as a liberal i wasn't welcome to the site at all. why should i "attempt to engage" with a "news source" that is quite obviously telling me that it has no interest in "engaging" with me?

Because you want to be intellectually honest?

you zeem to haff a problem mit ze critical tinking skills off ozzers here on zis forum as compared to yourself--bitte, tell me about your mutter, did she possibly question ze masculinity or ewen walue off yourself based on ze critical tinking? :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 12:48 am

Anyway back to the thread. :wink:

I am still confused why this story is being reported overseas (apparently) and yet has not seen the light of day here in Australia??
It's not like we aren't devoid of anti-muslim columnists here such as Andrew Bolt who sit waiting for stories like this to post on their newspaper columns.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Apr 2014, 5:55 am

cyberdad wrote:
Anyway back to the thread. :wink:
Good idea. :thumleft:

Can we have less of the side-squabbles and more of the topic, please?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 11:13 am

Niall wrote:
One Afghan engaged in paedophile behaviour, therefore all Afghans are paedophiles? Not logical.

The rape of young teenage boys (the Pashtun 'tradition' of bacha bazi) and child marriage (itself an Islamic tradition) is very common practice indeed in Afghanistan.

Last edited by Tequila on 02 Apr 2014, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 11:18 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pretty different from the crowd associating all immigrants with the actions of one pedophile.

It's a particular problem if there is a huge trend by people of that ethnicity/racial group/religion committing crimes.

Not naming anything like Muslim rape gangs of which there are scores across Britain. (And not just white girls were targeted by the rapists, either.)