Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 7:49 pm

i brought up mansplaining in another thread about all-female self-defense courses. i'm curious as to other female members experience with this phenomenon in life, and how do you deal with it? how do you let a guy know he's being condescending trying to tell you as a woman that he knows something about a woman's experience of life better than you do, without him getting defensive and ignoring your point?

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 8:18 pm

bump

*crickets*

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 10:11 pm

I dont understand what a woman goes through and never will because I am a man but I try to and try to been sympathetic at times

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2014, 10:14 pm

Perhaps I can help. Let me start by explaining something to you....

(jk)

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 3:43 pm

For a start, I wish they'd f*ck off out of the WOMEN'S discussion.

:wall:

Secondly, men will always be like this. They don't want to recognise females as equal to them, as they'll lose their 'manhood'.

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 3:48 pm

just wanted to bump this one more time before i let it die.

i'm particularly interested to hear from women in what are considered traditionally "male" fields (for example engineering): do you deal with mansplaining in the workplace environment, and if so, how?

also here's a couple links that explain the term, in case you've not encountered it before:

Mansplaining 101

http://www.guernicamag.com/daily/rebecca-solnit-men-explain-things-to-me/

Last edited by starvingartist on 01 Apr 2014, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 3:54 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqv74mvVFTs[/youtube]We got manswers!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 3:58 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:

i know you think you're being funny and cute, but this thread is in women's discussion for a reason.

love and dating would be a more appropriate place for a post like this.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 4:42 pm

starvingartist wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

i know you think you're being funny and cute, but this thread is in women's discussion for a reason.

love and dating would be a more appropriate place for a post like this.
I dont get it it says man in the title like mansplaining? But whatever im outa here I guess i missed the no males allowed sign on the front window! *packs his props in his luggage and leaves the stage*

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 4:48 pm

It doesn't help when other women join in with them.

I'm pretty sure I'm perceived as a threat on this board.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 4:51 pm

smudge wrote:

i'm getting the impression that i am as well, the way some of the guys are reacting to me. not sure why, other than the fact that i have my own distinct opinions and a vagina at the same time, which seems to really upset some people. :lol:

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 5:20 pm

starvingartist wrote:
smudge wrote:

i'm getting the impression that i am as well, the way some of the guys are reacting to me. not sure why, other than the fact that i have my own distinct opinions and a vagina at the same time, which seems to really upset some people. :lol:

It upsets everyone, it seems. :(

I think a lot of women have been deterred from this forum, because we're simply not welcome here. Almost all my opinions are ignored. People only listen to the popular (or pretty) female members, or at least that's what I see. The same arguments go around and around again, and nobody learns anything, because the people with actual opinions (men and women) get ignored. The people here prefer simple rules that they can apply to everything, even though it's very unrealistic. So they keep applying them to us here and we eventually go away and leave them to it.

As for RL, yes, men don't even try to think what it's like for a woman, because they don't have to. They would rather assume that we don't want to go to certain places or do certain things out of laziness, rather than for the fact that we have to firstly, ALWAYS make sure we're safe, for example. A lot of men never get that, and you can sense their frustration with you. No, I don't want to walk alone in the dark thanks. :roll:

And it's funny, how a thread here joking about rape was left open, even though it hurt many users (of course the majority being women), and yet a thread created about a man being a creep to me was immediately locked, despite me not even mentioning his name. It was very unfair for me to shame him. WTF? What the Hell did that have anything to do with it? What about my *right* to be left alone and not be bothered? Who here, honestly gives a f***?

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 5:26 pm

smudge wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
smudge wrote:

I think a lot of women have been deterred from this forum, because we're simply not welcome here. Almost all my opinions are ignored. People only listen to the popular (or pretty) female members, or at least that's what I see. The same arguments go around and around again, and nobody learns anything, because the people with actual opinions (men and women) get ignored. The people here prefer simple rules that they can apply to everything, even though it's very unrealistic. So they keep applying them to us here and we eventually go away and leave them to it.

As for RL, yes, men don't even try to think what it's like for a woman, because they don't have to. They would rather assume that we don't want to go to certain places or do certain things out of laziness, rather than for the fact that we have to firstly, ALWAYS make sure we're safe, for example. A lot of men never get that, and you can sense their frustration with you. No, I don't want to walk alone in the dark thanks. :roll:

And it's funny, how a thread here joking about rape was left open, even though it hurt many users (of course the majority being women), and yet a thread created about a man being a creep to me was immediately locked, despite me not even mentioning his name. It was very unfair for me to shame him. WTF? What the Hell did that have anything to do with it? What about my *right* to be left alone and not be bothered? Who here, honestly gives a f***?

There seems to be a lot of users joking about rape here and there in all kinds of different threads, it's disgusting. I'm beginning to lose my patience with WP.
The egocentric males, the males who have no boundaries, the males that have no respect, and then to add to it the errors everyone always gets when using the forum anyway.

I may possibly look for another ASD forum where rules are tighter, but here they are way too loose.

I'm sorry to the OP by the way, who felt so annoyed by these condescending idiots you wanted to write a thread on it. I understand how that feels.

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 5:30 pm

smudge wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
smudge wrote:

i've actually been told by men that the fact that i struggle with trust and feeling safe--because of my past experiences with violent men--like being out alone at night, dating, etc, is INSULTING to men because it means i am assuming they are all rapists, and that's not fair. 8O yes, apparently the fact that i've been raped before and therefore fear being raped is extremely insensitive of me towards men. like, how dare i put my own feelings of safety before the feelings of men not wanting to be assumed as dangerous! the nerve i have. :roll:

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 5:36 pm

smudge wrote:

also, can you link the thread joking about rape? i'd like to read it so i know which guys to avoid speaking to in future.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 5:37 pm

^ Seriously?! Those men need to grow a pair.

The rape thread got locked eventually. It was actually started by a woman.