Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 1:56 pm

I have an entire comic in my head based on a nostalgia for my childhood; my plan is to start it this summer after about three years of it being "brain crack" (ze frank, anyone?). Although, the part of my childhood I miss the most isn't the focus of the comic. It's about a 12 year old living in my old town in Connecticut, and follows him for about a year through late 2008 and early 2009. What I miss the most, though, is actually when I was about 8 and 9, particularly the summer of 2005 right before I moved to Texas.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 4:57 pm

I don't miss most of it. I was uncomfortable with myself and was alone or bullied or both. At the time I did not like being alone because everybody said it was bad.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 8:55 pm

I don't miss my childhood all that much. My parents were gender police and it drove me up the wall. I was chastised for talking about my special interests all the time. I wanted to put a cardboard map of Britain that I wanted to tack onto the wall of my newly painted bedroom this one summer. My mum wouldn't let me. I had a meltdown and my mother threatened to burn the map if I didn't stop crying. I didn't talk to her for three days after that.

All the gender policing and how they were trying to raise the autism out of me got under my skin, not to mention that my third generation Canadian parents were persistent at trying make me lose my accent by shaming me about it, by telling me not to talk through my nose caused me to have a breakdown due to flashbacks at work, 11 years after the fact.

The only time that I was ever really happy was when the radio. Back in the 80s up until 1988, I knew that I was going to hear both The Kinks and The Beatles several times a day, so that was one of the things that made me happy. Another thing that made me happy was reading different types of books to escape the gender police, pain, Anglophobes and autism haters who happened to be my parents and my sister.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 9:04 pm

I don't miss my childhood at all. I remember being dragged to therapy every week and my parents getting mad for me when I stimmed or ticked in public. It was probably worse because I was diagnosed with autism, but they were stuck on where to put me exactly, some sort of cross between HFA and Aspergers. I met a girl with HFA too, and we became good friends because I was the only one who understood her.

Right now, I think it's better, but could still be improved upon.

Nepsis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Apr 2014, 8:17 pm

Totally! I often get nostalgic and miss my childhood.
I grew up in the 90's.
Everything seemed so uncomplicated, yet full of mystery and wonder.
Friendships seemed so honest, unlike now where many acquaintances
seem to like you only as much as you can be useful to them.
I miss the sort of trust and safety I felt then from my parents
and older brothers, which I realize I really took for granted. It was just
expected then, but now my brothers have moved away and are married
and it's hard to maintain connections when I don't always know what to
call up and converse about.
I miss the seeming endlessness of days, too.
Days seem to fly by too quickly now, each of them mostly filled with
work and junk that I don't even like. I'd love to be a kid again.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 9:30 pm

Can't miss what I don't remember. From the few things that were brought back to memory through outside influences, I'm pretty sure I'd rather not remember anything I don't have to, and would hate to have to have been the small me.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 11:40 pm

Not really, I wish I could redo my teen years with the knowledge I have now however the majority of my childhood as it was not worth living let alone relieving. Oh well next life.

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 12:29 am

I sort of miss it, but only because of the shows I used to watch that they no longer show on the TV now. And because I cared less about stuff then than I do now. But I would say happier now as well.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 9:00 am

Kindergarten could be boring at times but otherwise I loved the 80s : great toys , toons....and nobody busted my balls if I appeared any different , we were just kids.

Me turning out a TV junkie started back then , I cannot imagine my life w/o TV or films :

-afternoon toons (Ramjet , Blackstar)

-Saturday morning toons (MotU , Gadget , MASK , Transformers)

I saw WWF first time around 1988 and I never got tired of it (never saw 1995-2008 period so missed a huge chunk)

Birth of TMNT mania (1990-91) was of course a huge influence , then came BTAS/X-files (early teen yrs...but still)

With that being said wish I could've gone back in time and see : Elvis (up till '76) , Bruce Lee , Batman '66 , MASH , Dallas , 80s/90s WWF (as audience) & other kung fu films when they first appeared........I can imagine the Chinese audience shouting out of joy in the cinema 8)

Classics such as Easy Rider , Midnight Cowboy , Kellys Heroes , FAF$M , Dirty Harry , Magnum Force , Rocky , Conan , Rambo 1 , Jaws.......yes I did see Jaws in London cinema few yrs ago but it can in no way compare seeing it back then. TCM '74 , Halloween , Police Academy films. 60s to 80s Bonds.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 6:27 pm

never - school was hell, I got bullied by everyone and I am even glad my parents refuse to speak to me since I came out. Now I can concentrate on a life with people who are positive in my life.