Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 6:36 am

My father for the last 7-8 years has been walkimg all over some of my rights. Basically he's not respecting my rights to control my own future/life because I have autism. My brother described m father as "caging me up". My mom on the other hand gives me much more freedom.

Anyone I can for go for advice about this? I am 24 but that still has not stopped my dad from removing my human rights. My dad has even said to me "you have no rights because you have no money", "you don't get rights because your unemployed" and "if your living under my roof you do not have rights"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 7:23 am

I'm glad you have an understanding mother. Your dad sounds like a real ignorant boor. Isn't there some way you could move into a group home, with people who you could relate with? Or perhaps even obtain some kind of employment--like a part-time job?

Isn't it true that your family gets a disability check (cheque in England) for you? That means you DO have money, and are contributing towards your own upkeep, on the basis of your disability. Without your disability, there wouldn't be that extra money. Therefore, on that basis, you DO have rights in the home.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 8:19 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm glad you have an understanding mother. Your dad sounds like a real ignorant boor. Isn't there some way you could move into a group home, with people who you could relate with? Or perhaps even obtain some kind of employment--like a part-time job?

Isn't it true that your family gets a disability check (cheque in England) for you? That means you DO have money, and are contributing towards your own upkeep, on the basis of your disability. Without your disability, there wouldn't be that extra money. Therefore, on that basis, you DO have rights in the home.

No offence but I think disability is an ignorant term. I call it 'difference'

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

01 Apr 2014, 8:24 am

He is a dink who is implementing constructive criticism, and does not understand it. In a way he is right. My mother was a horrible person. I had to stop listening to her, and do my own thing. If I listened to her, I would be bagging groceries, and living in a shelter, with abuse. Now she says I have changed soo much, and she is supportive. Really it is not true. I just stopped listening to her, did better on my own, and she is getting old. She tries to get along with me soo well now, that I think she is dying or something.

Growing up is hard work.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 8:28 am

All right...difference...but don't they call it a "disability" cheque?

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 8:34 am

Jamesy wrote:
My father for the last 7-8 years has been walkimg all over some of my rights. Basically he's not respecting my rights to control my own future/life because I have autism. My brother described m father as "caging me up". My mom on the other hand gives me much more freedom.

Anyone I can for go for advice about this? I am 24 but that still has not stopped my dad from removing my human rights. My dad has even said to me "you have no rights because you have no money", "you don't get rights because your unemployed" and "if your living under my roof you do not have rights"

If you have a social worker, tell them. TODAY.

Otherwise, speak to your doctor, hopefully the one who diagnosed you. You are being abused and it has to be stopped.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 8:34 am

I understand what you're saying.

JakeDay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2014, 8:40 am

Just because you are living in his house and have no money and no job does not negate ANY of the rights that you are ABSOLUTELY entitled to. You have a right to self-determination, just like any other human. You need some back-up, methinks.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 9:22 am

As much as your dad is being an ass, the sad truth is that if you depend on someone else to provide for you, your rights really don't exist.

Don't like his rules, leave his home. It's that simple. You cannot force him to support you unless he is under some sort of court ruling to provide for you beyond reaching the age of majority (18 in most places).

He has no right to harm you, but he does not have to let you stay in his home either.

This is why I get so up in arms about welfare dependency. If you depend on anyone for your support, you are really at their mercy...even if they are currently acting benevolent towards you.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 12:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
All right...difference...but don't they call it a "disability" cheque?

People with little 'understanding' call it a disability

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Apr 2014, 4:53 pm

You do not understand Kraftie's point.

Do you get DLA or PIP?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 4:59 pm

Wow your dad sounds like a real jerk...Keep in mind you are 24 making you an adult and you are entitled to the same rights everyone else is. Being unemployed does not revoke your rights nor does living in someones house. So on legal grounds he really can't do anything to stop you from getting on with your life. At least your mom is more understanding.

If I were you I'd either try finding a job so you have your own income and don't have to depend on him....or if you're unable to work apply for SSI it would probably be helpful to have some of your own money. Is your dad always around....seems like the best thing to do was find a way not to have to live with him but I realize that can be easier said than done.

Uhh it always pisses me off when I hear of adults who's parents try to continue treating them as children and/or try to entirely control their lives due to having a disorder it's a type of mental abuse in my opinion....unfortunately I really don't know much on what to do about it aside from trying to get away from parents like that and/or getting outside help with the situation.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 6:32 pm

What I meant is: if you receive a cheque from the government, this means you're actually putting money into your house--so your dad cannot use the excuse that you are not contributing to deny you your rights. If you did not have autism, your family would not get that money. It's because of you that they are getting that money. Same thing as having a job, in a way.

I understand that you don't have a disability, only a difference.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 01 Apr 2014, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 6:34 pm

Please read every word in every post, so you don't get the wrong idea. Even the smartest people get the wrong idea if they only read very few words in something like a newspaper, or an internet thread. I see that all the time. It causes many problems.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 8:38 am

No worries :)