Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 7:22 am

Does anyone use the app, "verbally" for speech or to aid speech?

I'm beginning to use it. I have a phrase, "I use this iPad to organize words", programmed and ready to explain why I am using it. I haven't added any other favorites yet.

For anyone who has no idea what I am talking about, will you answer the following...

Imagine you are speaking with someone new. You say something thought-provoking and the other person is looking at her iPad and says (or the iPad says), "I use this iPad to organize words". After about 5 minutes, the other person reads a carefully worded thoughtful response.

Would you stay around for the 5 minutes? Is there something else that could be said that would encourage you to wait?

The time I need is related to the complexity of the thought. I can respond with "scripts" as quickly as anyone-

"nice to meet you" "nice to meet you too", etc.

A question with a small amount of thought, such as what is your favorite color or what did you eat just now, would have just a small delay (up to 1-2 minutes, perhaps).

I want to use the app to encourage people to give me the extra time I need.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 7:27 am

I would stay around, if I had the time.

Perhaps you could say write "Please be patient, while I formulate my thoughts." Or you could put some nice music on it, like they do (sometimes) when you call a call center.

Sometimes, I take a while to really formulate my thoughts well. I understand your feeling well.

MJJost
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2014, 9:20 am

interesting! I might stay for a few minutes. I have a bit of trouble thinking under social pressure too, but my problem is that instead of becoming mute, I more often tend to babble the quickest answer and only later realize how much I didn't think of to say I wish I could have. I need more patience like you, haha. I definitely am more comfortable writing my thoughts than speaking them, and thinking in private than public...

EQ Test: 59
Alexithymia: 134

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 9:55 am

I'm glad you guys can relate and/or understand. My issues are less social-anxiety and more language deficit, but I'm still glad to be understood. :)

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would stay around, if I had the time.

Perhaps you could say write "Please be patient, while I formulate my thoughts." Or you could put some nice music on it, like they do (sometimes) when you call a call center.

Sometimes, I take a while to really formulate my thoughts well. I understand your feeling well.

Haha, now I need to think on that. It could be a pretty funny icebreaker.. :P