anyone else find their family doesnt fully accept autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2014, 11:40 am

My family has never really denied my diagnosis and ive had a psychologist as well as physio when i was younger but in the past year or two ive became much more accepting of my diagnosis and my mum seems to see this as attention seeking somehow. I have asked for three things which i really think would help me: a weighted blanket, glasses with a particular coloured lens and a bubble tube. My mum just does her 'special interest' face ( which she puts on every time i so much as utter a word about my interest to her and its rare that i do that at all) Its as if im allowed to have autism- which im not supposed to say, i have to call myself an aspie or nothing- but im not allowed to have the parts that might cost money. In two days time we are going to a swimming pool with family which is notoreously loud and i asked to wear earplugs. My sister laughed, my mum did the Special interest facr. Im going to have to suffer. It probably wont be that bad but that isnt the point, the point is my family picking and choosing. Who else has this problem?

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 12:29 pm

What's a bubble tube?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 1:27 pm

I wasn't diagnosed until adulthood and I think because of my difficult childhood and adolescence, my parents are among the few who actually understand the reality of my autism, because they spent so many years trying to tell me there was nothing wrong with me and I could be 'normal' if I wanted to, and now realize just how wrong they were, because autism explains all of those conflicts so perfectly.

On the other hand, it's the rest of the world that seems to make the "special interest face" and ignore the fact that I have a disability.

thymps
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2014, 10:33 am

oh 'special interest faces' are the worst :( i had a kinda toxic friendship through high school where the girl would make this face at me and blank me when i was talking about my SI's and i learnt the hard way that i shouldn't go on too much about what i enjoy because it bores people :?

but yeah it sucks when family don't believe you. mine didn't even believe me about my IBS/depression/anxiety/processing disorder when they were diagnosed so I'm not even going to tell them about this. they wouldn't believe me anyway!