Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

daydrinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2014, 11:05 pm

Hey, how is everyone? Here is my story (trying to make it short). I'm 27 and I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 6. My first exposure to the concept of Autism and Asperger's was the South Park episode which I first watched two years ago. After watching the episode I didn't get it at all and I started to research what Asperger's was all about. I stayed up the entire night reading everything I could find and was pretty sure I had found the answer to my social troubles. I tried to talk to my family about it.

My family firmly insists I do not have it and I need to forget about it. My uncle is an engineer and he is autistic. His symptoms are worse than mine (rocking, no eye contact) and I feel like that has a created a stigma among my family. Rather than embrace it, they want me to carry on like there is nothing wrong. It just doesn't work that way.

Until a few days ago I wasn't sure I had it until the doctor gave me the diagnosis as having Aspergers/Autism depending on your DSM. It's a relief! It explains so many of the misfortunes of my childhood, my inability to effectively pick up girls/socialize with others and the "weirdness" of my personality.

Anyhow, sorry for the book I just wrote. I hope to make many friends here in the future!

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

03 Apr 2014, 6:40 am

You're not alone.

Saul3903
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Apr 2014, 8:59 am

Ha, you think this is a book? You should see my intro thread.

Welcome to the family, Drinker.

ThatwhichIam
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Apr 2014, 4:40 pm

Hello, I also have some family members that are on the autism spectrum. My father (not officially diagnosed) was also always looked down upon due to some mental illness or another, but I am learning to let go of what people think (or what I think they think) and instead letting it bring me down.

I am wondering what South Park episode that may have been, but upon researching it I remember that episode :roll: South Park is good at some things but not others.

daydrinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2014, 7:21 pm

Thanks I really appreciate it. It's nice to know there is such a big group out there.